The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

UFC on FX 2: Alves vs Kampmann

Date: Mar 03, 2012
    Venue: Allphones Arena
    Broadcast: FX and FUEL TV
    • Thiago Alves vs. Martin Kampmann
    • Demetrious Johnson vs. Ian McCall (flyweight-tourney semifinal)
    • Joseph Benavidez vs. Yasuhiro Urushitani (flyweight-tourney semifinal)
    • Court McGee vs. Constantinos Philippou
    • Aaron Rosa vs. James Te Huna
    • Nick Penner vs. Anthony Perosh
    • Jared Hamman vs. Kyle Noke
    • Robbie Peralta vs. Mackens Semerzier
    • Cole Miller vs. Steven Siler
    • Jake Hecht vs. T.J. Waldburger
    • Shawn Jordan vs. Oli Thompson

The HOFF

Thiago Alves -110
    Martin Kampmann -120

Really like Alves at the opening line here. Kampmann is well rounded but has folded against power strikers like Marquardt and Daley

Jordan23
    Jordan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

It will definitely be a good stand up battle. I'd really like to see Alves work those powerful leg kicks.

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

Kampmann might try and wrestle this one.

proposition joe
    proposition joe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Big on Alves here.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Gotta like Alves here...tough to finish, more power, will throw more leg-kicks...see him gettin a decision

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

His wrestling worked against Rick Story, which surprised me, so I wouldn't count it out!

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    His wrestling worked against Rick Story, which surprised me, so I wouldn't count it out!
    Didn't surprise me, whole reason I took Kampmann was based on the hope that he'd learn from the Canchez fight and fight smarter and look for his trip-takedowns as Story's wrestling defence is not the same level as his offensive wrestling (and fortunately he did). Alves on the other-hand has better wrestling defence as he's a more technical striker (and all-round technical fighter) who doesn't come charging forward wide-open throwing bombs like Story does. Alves is also pretty strong in the clinch - which would be where Kampmann would look for a trip-takedown (as you're unlikely to see Kampmann looking for a single or double leg shot).

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

He's not taking down alves.
    with the way Kampmann fights, his game plan is probably to play the outside game and outpoint alves to a decision. Unfortunately the judges will not likely see the significant shots landed by kampmann and he'll probably lose even if he wins.

The HOFF

Legacy Fighting Championships middleweight titleholder Andrew Craig (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has replaced injured Jared Hamman (13-4 MMA, 2-3 UFC) and now meets fellow middleweight Kyle Noke (19-5-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) at March's UFC on FX 2 event.

UFC officials today announced the switch.

The HOFF

Benavidez -600?

Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

bump...I may take a stab at Alves

bipolar
    bipolar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 483

i dont know about this main event boys, two great strikers... i give the pure kickboxing edge to alves but kampmann is a solid striker himself... kampmann i feel is stronger in the clinch and wrestling.... both are tough mofos, especially kampmann... i hate betting against kampmann, i feel hes the top WW gatekeeper in the UFC...

I would love to make a play on this fight but I don't see much value in the line either way...

i think its best to stay away from this one...

bipolar

correction, both guys are strong in the clinch...

bipolar

Quote Originally Posted by The HOFF View Post
    Thiago Alves -110
    Martin Kampmann -120

Really like Alves at the opening line here. Kampmann is well rounded but has folded against power strikers like Marquardt and Daley
    Interesting point, i like this type of thinking... Kamp fought nate at 185, so he was at a huge size disadvantage considering nate is a huge 185.... and alves is a big WW... the size and power difference mabye significant here..

I think since alves wil have the standup advantage, wrestling is key here... kampmann has always had underrated wrestling and he showed it against story... he may try to wrestle alves but this could leave him tired and vulnerable to strikes as alves will stuff kampmann takedowns being that he has great takedown defence and will be the bigger stronger fighter... alves can also get up off his back...

I was thinking of staying away from this fight, but I'm leaning towards alves after more thought..

bipolar

perhaps the best play is this fight to end in decision? both fighters have solid defensive striking and are tough as **** in general...

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by bipolar View Post
    i dont know about this main event boys, two great strikers... i give the pure kickboxing edge to alves but kampmann is a solid striker himself... kampmann i feel is stronger in the clinch and wrestling.... both are tough mofos, especially kampmann... i hate betting against kampmann, i feel hes the top WW gatekeeper in the UFC...

I would love to make a play on this fight but I don't see much value in the line either way...

i think its best to stay away from this one...
    I got Alves at the opener (evens) because I expected he'd get more action. But as you say I hate betting against Kampmann. My first ever proper bet was on Condit against Kampmann and from then on I've always respected him and like to play him (especially when he's the underdog)..made me some nice money as dog against Story. I do think Kampmann is the better, more refined overall grappler...I couldnt imagine Thiago Alves dominating P.Thiago in the grappling for three rounds, or choke out Jacob Volkmann like Kampmann did. As I said in my prediction for the Kampmann/Story fight, the key to Kampmann beating Story was to beat Story at his own game by getting the odd trip takedown and controlling on top to steal rounds with his underrated grappling. My whole bet was based on the assumption tht he'd do this and luckily he did after getting rocked early on. The difference is tho that Alves is not wild and overly aggressive like Story. Alves is more methodological and technical, he won't get carried away with charging forward and throwing predictable overhand rights. His take-down defence as we know is also pretty solid. His stocky build and strength in the clinch will make it hard for Kampmann to get the bodylock/trip-takedowns. Also find it hard to imagine Alves getting guillotined because he's hardly got a neck! Unlike Story, Alves will also throw a lot more leg kicks as well that could be the difference in getting the nod from the judges.
    Last edited by Vaughany; 02-26-12 at 05:34 PM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

perhaps the best play is this fight to end in decision? both fighters have solid defensive striking and are tough as **** in general...
    Probably, but it's -300 at moment which is a bit steep to play straight up. Have got it in a one or two parlays tho
    Last edited by Vaughany; 02-26-12 at 05:35 PM.

bipolar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    I got Alves at the opener (evens) because I expected he'd get more action. But as you say I hate betting against Kampmann. My first ever proper bet was on Condit against Kampmann and from then on I've always respected him and like to play him (especially when he's the underdog)..made me some nice money as dog against Story. I do think Kampmann is slightly better grappler. As I said in my prediction for the Kampmann/Story fight, the key to Kampmann beating Story was to beat Story at his own game by getting the odd trip takedown and controlling on top to steal rounds with his underrated grappling. My whole bet was based on the assumption tht he'd do this and luckily he did after getting rocked early on. The difference is tho that Alves is not wild and overly aggressive like Story. Alves is more methodological and technical, he won't get carried away with charging forward and throwing predictable overhand rights. His take-down defence as we know is also pretty solid. His stocky build and strength in the clinch will make it hard for Kampmann to get the bodylock/trip-takedowns. Unlike Story, Alves will also throw a lot more leg kicks as well that could be the difference in getting the nod from the judges.
    All good points... but you summed it up well, i hate betting against kampmann, hes well-rounded, tough and always game....

There must be a better spot for our money on this card than this fight, dont you think?

bipolar

On 5dimes, I like alves by decision +129... opinions?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

All good points... but you summed it up well, i hate betting against kampmann, hes well-rounded, tough and always game....

There must be a better spot for our money on this card than this fight, dont you think?
    A couple undercard fights Im interested in...have to wait and see what the lines are tho

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

If I hadnt got him straight up at Evens I'd probably be playing tht. But I'd be waiting for props to open elsewhere...depends what sites u have access to. Couple Euro sites might have Alves by decision at +150 or something

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

got Alves at -120
    and got kampmann dec at +213 on 5dimes

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass
    Wanna Bet On It?'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5734

Thoughts?

Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Very close fight for me but leaning Cos based on whom both guys beat.

Ill take Hamman and Rivera over Dongi and Jensen anyday

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Did Mcgee open as dog?

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

from what i can see yes.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

I think the fight ends under 2.5 rounds, likely Alves by KO.

MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

My UFC on FX 2 Plays
    Ticket#:66137674
    Mar 02 10:00 PM
    INTERNET / -1 Feb 26 01:06 PM
    MU
    STRAIGHT BET
    [24555] I MCCALL +290
    (I MCCALL vrs D JOHNSON)

50 / 145
    ---------------------
    Ticket#:65429369
    Mar 02 10:30 PM
    INTERNET / -1 Feb 13 08:34 PM
    MU
    STRAIGHT BET
    [24551] T ALVES -135
    (T ALVES vrs M KAMPMANN)

135 / 100

Starting to like alves more than I initially thought when I placed this the other week. I'll Probably put a lot more on him after I do a bit more research. No way I see kapman beating him in a prolonged stand up fight, which is what I think we'll see.

Also like the value on uncle creepy - mighty mo will probably be too fast and I think his wrestling is a small notch above ian's, but at +290 that is just crazy and mighty is being overvalued imo. Ian is also pretty big at 125 and his hands have developed very nicely during his most recent run. He could sprawl and brawl and perhaps even change levels later in the fight and sneak in a few tds ala brad pickettt. Paper pick is mighty mo but you're crazy to pay that juice imo.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Any Andrew Craig fight vids?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

thanks- what do u make of his fight vs noke?

abe74
    abe74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4481

This would be my pick for this fight.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

ha Gabe's brother Abe?!

abe74
    abe74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4481

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    ha Gabe's brother Abe?!
    No, I don't know Gabe.