gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

Barboza vs Etim @ UFC 142

Etim will be the favorite here, right?

What your thoughts on this fight? Have you decided who your money will be on?

I think this is a serious FOTN candidate.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

I just noticed that Terry Etim is only 10 days older than Edson Barboza. Jan. 11, 1986 and Jan. 21, 1986. Both Muay Thai fighters. Wow, man, I can't wait for this one.

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

I'm expecting Etim to open as a small to med doggie. Barboza hasn't been a world beater thus far (arguably losing to Ross P, looking pedestrian vs Njokuani, and punishing a one dimensional Lullo) but keep in mind, Etim looked great... against Edward Faaloloto.

If there are Etim backers here, this may be one of those fights where we should shut up until the opener is posted...

Personally, I haven't cap'd this one yet, but am definitely amp'd for this fight.

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

Agreed. We shut up. But man i look forward to this fight!!!

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Barboza was -320 or so against Pearson and Etim was like -675 against Faalooto, so I expected Etim to be a -180 or so favorite here. Would Barboza be -800 against Faalooto? If not, he probably won't be the favorite here. I'm feeling like it might be closer to even odds.
    Last edited by gabe; 12-14-11 at 05:26 AM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Pretty confident Barboza will be the favourite. He's not been in trouble in any of his fights so far (even if two were close decisions). Etim meanwhile has been dropped and had his nose broken by Brian Cobb, been submitted by Dos Anjos and has only had 17 seconds of octagon time in 18months. Etim's only impressive win really in terms of level of opponent was against Stout. I doubt Barboza would have any trouble either beating likes of Gugerty, Bucholz, Cobb, Grice and Faalotootlotot...they are all low level guys (UFC standards) and all been cut since.
    Last edited by Vaughany; 12-14-11 at 06:12 AM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Barboza was -360 or so against Pearson and Etim was like -675 against Faalooto, so I expected Etim to be a -180 or so favorite here. Would Barboza be -800 against Faalooto? If not, he probably won't be the favorite here. I'm feeling like it might be closer to even odds.
    Are you comparing Pearson and Faalooto here?! Etim was such a big favourite against Faalooto because Faalooto is lowest level possible in UFC. Barboza was -260 to -300 favourite against Pearson - never near -360 (don't know where you pluck these random odds from!), nevertheless, if anything it suggests that he'll be the favourite against Etim, not the underdog. Pearson has more credentials then Etim - he's a TUF winner and had beaten Spencer Fisher and Dennis Siver previously, Barboza was over-valued by the line setters and public - as their fight clearly demonstrated as many thought Pearson won. He was also -265 against Njokuani, again the fight showed that Njokuani didnt deserve to be +235 and that the line setter over-valued Barboza.
    Last edited by Vaughany; 12-14-11 at 07:41 AM.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass
    Wanna Bet On It?'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5734

How about we not talk about capping this fight until the lines are out...

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

ha If anything the above would just confuse a line setter! Also, maybe it's just disinformation

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

meh, this will be close to even odds.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Are you comparing Pearson and Faalooto here?! Etim was such a big favourite against Faalooto because Faalooto is lowest level possible in UFC. Barboza was -260 to -300 favourite against Pearson - never near -360 (don't know where you pluck these random odds from!), nevertheless, if anything it suggests that he'll be the favourite against Etim, not the underdog. Pearson has more credentials then Etim - he's a TUF winner and had beaten Spencer Fisher and Dennis Siver previously, Barboza was over-valued by the line setters and public - as they fight clearly demonstrated as many thought Pearson won. He was also -265 against Njokuani, again the fight showed that Njokuani didnt deserve to be +235 and that the line setter over-valued Barboza.
    Comparing Pearson to Faalooto? It is dumb to assume that's what I was doing. If I was comparing Pearson to Faalooto, why would I say Barboza would be -800 against Faalooto when he was only -300 against Pearson?

I must have been getting a bad line on Barboza against Pearson, 'cos it was well in the -300s.

Also, I doubt Pearson would be a -675 favorite against Faalooto like Etim was.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Comparing Pearson to Faalooto? It is dumb to assume that's what I was doing. If I was comparing Pearson to Faalooto, why would I say Barboza would be -800 against Faalooto when he was only -300 against Pearson?

I must have been getting a bad line on Barboza against Pearson, 'cos it was well in the -300s.

Also, I doubt Pearson would be a -675 favorite against Faalooto like Etim was.
    That's the point, you didnt say Barboza would be -800! You said "Would Barboza be -800 against Faalooto?"!]Pearson was -265 favourite against Siver and Michael Johnson was -541 against Faaloto so I dont see why Pearson wouldnt be -675 against somebody like Faalooto
    Last edited by Vaughany; 12-14-11 at 07:44 AM.

Educ8d Degener8

Barboza was -320 or so against Pearson and Etim was like -675 against Faalooto, so I expected Etim to be a -180 or so favorite here. Would Barboza be -800 against Faalooto? If not, he probably won't be the favorite here. I'm feeling like it might be closer to even odds.
    Gabe, even you'd be like -480 vs Faaloloto.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

That's the point, you didnt say Barboza would be -800! You said "Would Barboza be -800 against Faalooto?"!]Pearson was -265 favourite against Siver and Michael Johnson was -541 against Faaloto so I dont see why Pearson wouldnt be -675 against somebody like Faalooto
    OK, Would I have SUGGESTED* he'd be -800? Same shit lol quit nitpicking--- nobody ever misunderstands me as much as you do, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Educ8d Degener8 View Post
    Gabe, even you'd be like -480 vs Faaloloto.
    I would break his arm off with a heel hook.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Etim will be the favorite here, right?
    Your comedy is getting better.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Your comedy is getting better.
    I don't know who Faalooto was, but being a -675 favorite against him is a big deal. And if Barboza is a favorite over Etim, he would have been at least a -800 favorite over Faalooto, which is insane. That made me think Etim might be the slight favorite in this fight. I had zero clue what the line will be, that's why I asked you guys. I guess now I'm expecting Barboza to be the fav since you all believe he will be.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Michael Johnson was -500 against Faaloloto. Michael Johnson.

ghost kid
    ghost kid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35576

Gabe, if you could please not make threads like this it would be great. Thanks.

You and V have put a lot of info out here, for better or worse.

You see Dantas +300 a few weeks back? You see OSP at +400 today? You like those?

Anything is possible, my friend. Just keep quiet till you see the #s.

proposition joe
    proposition joe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Quote Originally Posted by ghost kid View Post

You and V have put a lot of info out here, for better or worse.

You see Dantas +300 a few weeks back? You see OSP at +400 today? You like those?

Anything is possible, my friend. Just keep quiet till you see the #s.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Michael Johnson was -500 against Faaloloto. Michael Johnson.
    I didn't know that. So basically, Faalooto was a "jobber"

Quote Originally Posted by ghost kid View Post
    Why, because it will influence the line?

Posting this thread has helped me view this fight better. Most of you guys have been hardcore UFC fans far longer than I have, so it helps.

Educ8d Degener8

Yes Gabe, Faaloloto is a complete can.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

There's gotta be a way to discuss shit we don't want line setters to see. How? Private chatroom meet-ups?

PunisherIND
    myles jewry
    PunisherIND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9625

There's gotta be a way to discuss shit we don't want line setters to see. How? Private chatroom meet-ups?
    meet me in the garden at 7pm.

-akira

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherIND View Post
    meet me in the garden at 7pm.

-akira
    i am a gonna take you life! you sonofbitch.

-diego

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Edso...010551&tid=100

one of the nastiest KO's i've ever seen.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

It was never gonna end well after slippping on his ass attempting the most telegraphed head kick ever!

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Was some brutal body shots in this one and showed his submission skills at end... http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Edso...010552&tid=100

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

I'm a big fan of this guys. I think he's gut huge potential. I would LOVE to see him fight Jose Aldo. Also a big fan of Etim's. Really can't wait for this one.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Pretty confident Barboza will be the favourite. He's not been in trouble in any of his fights so far (even if two were close decisions). Etim meanwhile has been dropped and had his nose broken by Brian Cobb, been submitted by Dos Anjos and has only had 17 seconds of octagon time in 18months. Etim's only impressive win really in terms of level of opponent was against Stout. I doubt Barboza would have any trouble either beating likes of Gugerty, Bucholz, Cobb, Grice and Faalotootlotot...they are all low level guys (UFC standards) and all been cut since.
    Barboza out at -235 favourite

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Now at -260

dww123
    dww123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9200

They should match Faaloloto vs Jason Reinhart. Battle of the ultimate cans. The two worst fighters to ever grace with their presence the modern day UFC octagon. I would take Cyborg against either one of them.

Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

I think this fight should be more towards even. Barboza won a razor sharp decision in which many thought Pearson edged out. I would say Etim is just as good if not better than Pearson.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitooch View Post
    I think this fight should be more towards even. Barboza won a razor sharp decision in which many thought Pearson edged out. I would say Etim is just as good if not better than Pearson.
    Yeah certainly shouldnt be as steep as it is. Guess the 'home advantage' is helping as well

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

As good as Aldo and Barboza are... I'm going against both of them here. Mendes has a very good shot of winning with his wrestling after Aldo starts to fade and he has shown a solid chin. In a 3 rd fight, I'd be more hesitant to lay down on him.... but 5 rds at +200 or better looks good. Barboza is still being a bit overhyped. I was on Pearson against him last time and it was too close to call. Pearson was nearly surprisingly outstruck by Assuncao and was lucky to win that decision imo. Etim has better standup and a nice sub game. I think the dude can hang and already have a play on him, but I'm hoping his line reaches +250 so I can throw more on him.
    Last edited by sirchadwick1; 01-04-12 at 06:24 AM.

12 Last