TheCalculator
    TheCalculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5633

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post

yeah Griffin didn't wanna be there at all...it's not like tht fight can be used to dispell the notion tht Shogun isn't fully fit and wont gas out in later rounds
    A lot of people think Griffin threw that fight so he could fly back home to see his baby asap. If you watch the replay of the "ko" closely -- it certainly looks a little fishy.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Quote Originally Posted by TheCalculator View Post
    A lot of people think Griffin threw that fight so he could fly back home to see his baby asap. If you watch the replay of the "ko" closely -- it certainly looks a little fishy.
    So he could save 15 minutes? I think he's just not into it anymore.

dww123
    dww123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9200

Do you guys really put bets in before the weigh ins?

Nick The Greek
    Nick The Greek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

I almost always bet after the weigh-ins. One of the few times I didn't was last week, bet on Cain fearing the line would go up, then saw him with extra padding at the weigh-in and obviously ended up regretting it.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Quote Originally Posted by dww123 View Post
    Depends, if the guy has a track record for being half ass in his training or coming off injury/possible ring rust, then yeah wait to the weigh ins. Otherwise I try and get the best price I can, whenever I can.

dww123
    dww123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9200

gotcha. thanks

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

i`m not so sure that rua is getting enough credit here....i think you can look at motivation as a factor in both fights....

in the first fight,rua was the enormous pride star....one of the top pfp guys in the sport...he came to a brand new organization and expected to win......fighting in a cage with different rules....with a crowd that was almost entirely for griffin.....griffin was a solid underdog......we`ve seen time and again the difficulty that befalls even the best fighters coming from other organizations and fighting for the first time in the ufc...

not gonna discusss injuries because if you step in the cage,you`re healthy enough to fight...way too many guys(imo) use injuries as excuses and their fans eat it up..

the second fight flipped the scenario...rua looking for revenge and a big comeback after getting bludgeoned by the best pfp fighter in the sport....fighting on the first ufc card in his native brazil.....

griffin knew he was in a bad situation..imo that`s why we heard all the pre-fight whining ...it was almost like he was setting up excuses for a loss.....

i like griffin and i don`t mean to disparage anybody that gets in the cage...but he got drubbed fair and square...mostly because the edges were with rua in the second fight...and it`s not the least bit unusual for griffin to lose spectacularly when he loses...

like it or not,henderson`s become a pretty one-dimensional fighter...i can`t remember the last time he utilized his wrestling to any degree...

and remember...unless henderson sets a griffin-esqe pace,rua can usually hang...he did fine in tactical fights against machida....henderson will be looking for the big shot...and that`s not usually how rua loses...you throw out the jones beating and he`s actually never been k.o.`ed...

henderson`s fighting a solid 205 pounder here...not franklin/palhares/bisping/sobral or shields......

just putting up some alternative p`s.o.v.....this is a very,very difficult fight for henderson...rua is nobody`s(except jones) walkover....he has multiple weapons and might be the naturally bigger man here..

i`m shocked that these two never crossed paths in pride...very odd...
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 11-15-11 at 09:54 PM.

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

lol wtf. forrest flew home with dana white in dana's personal jet. he didn't save any time.

ghost kid
    ghost kid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35576

Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 05-15-15 at 01:58 PM. Reason: image does not exist

FightFightFight
    FightFightFight's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 168

Right behind the ear.

Pabinator
    Pabinator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 74

Rua is a better all around fighter at this point. Unless Hendu lands a big right hand, which can happen but can happen in anyfight. Im taking Rua unless i see something at the weigh in to change my mind.

Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

If Hendo wins it's through his wrestling...

Hendo's greco roman vs. Rua's suspect TDD and cardio issues...

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

1. Last time Hendo did use his wrestling as i can remember was against Cavalcante. He did excellent. Reversed takedowns, won the clinch etc. He will probably also win the battle of the grappling here IMO. If the fight end up on the ground i dont think shogun will submit henderson. I think its more likely that he will end up underneath and lose points. Henderson very often comes in execute gameplans. Against palhares, he tried to stand up to avoid palhares grappling and succeeded.

2. Hendo one dimensional, he sure isnt the most diverse fighter in the world, but people doesnt outbox hendo either because of respect. Bisping should on paper outbox hendo, but because he knows about the H BOMB he doesn't. I think hendo do have the tools to win, so who cares about all of the dimensions?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by dww123 View Post
    Well you can't catch opening lines if you have that strategy can you? I wouldn't of got Travis Browne at +120 against Struve if I'd of waited until weigh-ins. I wouldn't of got Boetsch as underdog against Nick Ring, or Cerrone as +135 dog against Dennis Siver...I think you get the idea!

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    i`m not so sure that rua is getting enough credit here....i think you can look at motivation as a factor in both fights....

in the first fight,rua was the enormous pride star....one of the top pfp guys in the sport...he came to a brand new organization and expected to win......fighting in a cage with different rules....with a crowd that was almost entirely for griffin.....griffin was a solid underdog......we`ve seen time and again the difficulty that befalls even the best fighters coming from other organizations and fighting for the first time in the ufc...

not gonna discusss injuries because if you step in the cage,you`re healthy enough to fight...way too many guys(imo) use injuries as excuses and their fans eat it up..

the second fight flipped the scenario...rua looking for revenge and a big comeback after getting bludgeoned by the best pfp fighter in the sport....fighting on the first ufc card in his native brazil.....

griffin knew he was in a bad situation..imo that`s why we heard all the pre-fight whining ...it was almost like he was setting up excuses for a loss.....

i like griffin and i don`t mean to disparage anybody that gets in the cage...but he got drubbed fair and square...mostly because the edges were with rua in the second fight...and it`s not the least bit unusual for griffin to lose spectacularly when he loses...

like it or not,henderson`s become a pretty one-dimensional fighter...i can`t remember the last time he utilized his wrestling to any degree...

and remember...unless henderson sets a griffin-esqe pace,rua can usually hang...he did fine in tactical fights against machida....henderson will be looking for the big shot...and that`s not usually how rua loses...you throw out the jones beating and he`s actually never been k.o.`ed...

henderson`s fighting a solid 205 pounder here...not franklin/palhares/bisping/sobral or shields......

just putting up some alternative p`s.o.v.....this is a very,very difficult fight for henderson...rua is nobody`s(except jones) walkover....he has multiple weapons and might be the naturally bigger man here..

i`m shocked that these two never crossed paths in pride...very odd...
    He used his wrestling against Cavalcante - but only after he got dropped. As you say he doesn't actively look to use it unless he has to - it seems anyway. And although he does seem quite one-dimensional - big overhand right - he did set up that big over hand right with leg-kicks against Cavalcante.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

He certainly didnt "throw the fight"...he just wasn't mentally in to it. Combine that with the fact that Shogun is technically the better fighter and it had early KO all over it!

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Every other fight is a fix or a thrown fight

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Nam Phan predicts:

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

sztukmistrz
    sztukmistrz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hi, its my first post. Sorry for my english.

Hendo - Shogun
    It's even chances for me.
    Hendo is still in very good shape . 41 y. old but fast and agile. His stand up is predictable. Fake by left hand and big bomb by right. This technique is very well known but Hendo makes it perfectly.
    Lately, he fought Rafael Cavalcante, fighter like Shogun. He used against him this style and it worked.

Shogun muay thai artist.
    But his last fights :
    badly lost with JJ
    won with Forrest Griffin, who was not in shape

I wait for +140 hendo ( value bet)

I hope my post is understandable

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by sztukmistrz View Post
    Hi, its my first post. Sorry for my english.

Hendo - Shogun
    It's even chances for me.
    Hendo is still in very good shape . 41 y. old but fast and agile. His stand up is predictable. Fake by left hand and big bomb by right. This technique is very well known but Hendo makes it perfectly.
    Lately, he fought Rafael Cavalcante, fighter like Shogun. He used against him this style and it worked.

Shogun muay thai artist.
    But his last fights :
    badly lost with JJ
    won with Forrest Griffin, who was not in shape

I wait for +140 hendo ( value bet)

I hope my post is understandable
    Welcome compadre Where are u from?

I agree, I'm also waiting to see if Hendo's line improves further

sztukmistrz

Welcome compadre Where are u from?

I agree, I'm also waiting to see if Hendo's line improves further
    Hi
    from Poland

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Hi
    from Poland
    Okay cool. Are you going to the KSW event in Lodz on the 26th? Khalidov vs Filho, Pudz vs Thompson , Sokoudjou vs Blachowicz, Materla vs Horwich and Sowinsky vs Jewtuszko - should be an entertaining card!

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

My complete and utter disdain for Cung may be clouding my judgment here, but I think Wandy is being short-sold here. While I'm cognizant that part of capping a fight is objectively recognizing when a fighter has "lost it" (Liddell, etc) and factoring that into account, I'm not so sure I'm ready to say that regarding Silva. While it is entirely possible that Silva could get baited into a stand-up war with Cung, I don't think he'll be quite the human punching bag that Scott Smith was for Le. I'm really hoping that the Leben fight may have taught Wandy a lesson in being a bit more methodical in his strategy, buuuuut he is an old dog, so perhaps a new trick isn't possible at this point in his career.

So will he come in and slug it out? Or try a more methodical approach with the intent of going out with a W????

If more money comes in on Cung, I'm gonna have to put a bit on Wandy.

sztukmistrz

I'm going to watch on TV
    Are You interested in European events?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

I'm going to watch on TV
    Are You interested in European events?
    I'm in England so I have a general interest in European events as long as a load of bums aren't involved. Don't quite understand why Thompson and Pudz are fighting again? I like Matt Horwich though - very interesting dude

TheCalculator
    TheCalculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5633

As far as the Cung vs. Silva fight goes -- I'm going to take this guy's word (especially since he's trained with both):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9HcUuheLPw

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

sztukmistrz

I agree with Educ8d Degener8 about Vand- Cung Lee
    Cung Lee looks better than Vand.
    But:
    - To be honest , Lee was fighting in lower league - Strikeforce against almost unknown opponents
    - he plays in movies action, it should be in conflict with good , hard training
    - fight with Silvia is going to be a short, bloody war. Big punches, no back up. Its Vand favourite game.

So, for me its 50/50 and maybe I get + 140 for Silvia

sztukmistrz

I'm in England so I have a general interest in European events as long as a load of bums aren't involved. Don't quite understand why Thompson and Pudz are fighting again? I like Matt Horwich though - very interesting dude
    Pudzianowski is the most famous fighter in Poland
    It sounds funny, but its true.
    He is celebrity and sportsman.
    He brings huge audience on TV and huge money.
    Thompson has still big name in mma . First fight Thompson won, he is free agent, he is not expensive and finally , Pudzianowski can beat him.

Matt Horwich - Michal Materla. In my opinion, Materla is much more interesting i more prospect fighter in this duel .

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Pudzianowski is the most famous fighter in Poland
    It sounds funny, but its true.
    He is celebrity and sportsman.
    He brings huge audience on TV and huge money.
    Thompson has still big name in mma . First fight Thompson won, he is free agent, he is not expensive and finally , Pudzianowski can beat him.

Matt Horwich - Michal Materla. In my opinion, Materla is much more interesting i more prospect fighter in this duel .
    Ha oh yeah I forgot Thompson choked him out! Guess it makes sense for them to give him a rematch thn

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Fight week blog week!...

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

Bas goes bananas, claims ubereem is an idiot, worth the read - http://paullazenby.com/

MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bjpenn85 View Post
    1. Last time Hendo did use his wrestling as i can remember was against Cavalcante. He did excellent. Reversed takedowns, won the clinch etc. He will probably also win the battle of the grappling here IMO. If the fight end up on the ground i dont think shogun will submit henderson. I think its more likely that he will end up underneath and lose points. Henderson very often comes in execute gameplans. Against palhares, he tried to stand up to avoid palhares grappling and succeeded.

2. Hendo one dimensional, he sure isnt the most diverse fighter in the world, but people doesnt outbox hendo either because of respect. Bisping should on paper outbox hendo, but because he knows about the H BOMB he doesn't. I think hendo do have the tools to win, so who cares about all of the dimensions?
    well said, bj...

People will flame me for this, but aside from transitions in scrambles and being a bit lighter on the feet, I think raf calvacante is a bigger and more explosive version of shogun. I think if raf fought shogun he would win. Hendo definitely used his wrestling in that fight and it gave him an advantage. I haven't placed anything, but I am all over hendo right now. He really impressed me against feijo and I view shogun as a similar fighter. Also, hendo looked great in that 3rd round, he hadn't slowed at all and that was a prettty active fight up to that point. He is gonna make shogun work, and if it does go to the championship rounds, I favor the old man's cardio. Yea shogun went 5 with lyoto, but that was not a grueling fight - it was a great striking match but not near as physically intensive as I think hendo can make the fight.

Furthermore, while raf cordiero said in the sherdog 'pro's picks' that he is 'bettting' on shogun, the majority consensus at Kings mma says otherwise. Both my room mates who train there said rumor has it among the brazilians there that shogun made a big mistake going to brazil for this fight's preparation. They say shogun gets way too comfortable at home and doesn't take his training as seriously. He's swarmed with women and media and doesn't focus as well. While I am sure similar conditions happen state - side as well, I do take this somewhat seriously. On paper most people are picking shogun as he is part of the camp at kings, tecnically, but my roomates have said many trainers have said NOT to bet on shogun...

I do think that this fight will be close, and I probably won't go too large on hendo, but I definitely favor him. How3ever, if shogun comes with the perfect gameplan and is in perfect shape - he can certainly win. Yet I don't see him finishing, I see him winning a very close decision.

The fact that hendo can finish, is fighting in cali, has the wrestling advantage, and has great momentum - I like him in this. I also think hendo is hungry. He knows he needs to make a statement to keep his name amid the top of the lhw division as he comes back to the ufc at the twighlight of his career. This is the starting point for him to solidify himself as a second couture - a man who gets better with age and can still make a statement. I already consider him a legend, but if he beats shogun and beats him soundly, I think everyone including hendo knows that his legendary status goes through the roof. Its big money and big prestige - something I thinmk hendo is VERY hungry for.
    Last edited by MMAbetMASTA; 11-17-11 at 08:20 PM.

MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

He used his wrestling against Cavalcante - but only after he got dropped. As you say he doesn't actively look to use it unless he has to - it seems anyway. And although he does seem quite one-dimensional - big overhand right - he did set up that big over hand right with leg-kicks against Cavalcante.
    He untilized the clinch nicely in that fight too. While I do agree that hendo uses his wrestling as a secondary tool, its still effective.

It wasn't just after he was dropped by raf and went for the single. He got raf down 3 more times as the fight went on - 2 of them trips from the clinch and the other a single.

WHile raf did get a sweep from bottom and stuffed two other td attempts, hendo still used his wrestling effectively. and feijo is a big man who I feel has better tdd and hips than shogun. However, I do think that shogun might be effective in the guard against hendo and I don't really know what hendo might be able to do if he does take it down and ends up on top. Thefore I think hendo only uses his wrestling if the stand up goes south for him. Yet I feel he has enough advantage to win that ground battle if it hits there.

Good inisght about the kicks, i never really thought about that set up for his ko - somethign most people prob overlook about hendo (as I did). Shogun better be planning to use those leg kicks if he hopes to win this fight....
    Last edited by MMAbetMASTA; 11-17-11 at 08:21 PM.

First 123456 ... Last