Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

BJ Penn and Mirko both retired from UFC tonight

Both warriors.....can't say I'm completely stunned by either...cheers to both both had some great fights...but have been taking beatings lately

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

MMA rocks!!!!

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

CRO-COP

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Cro Cop retired 3 years ago.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Cro Cop retired 3 years ago.
    He looked solid through about 1 1/2 rounds...then Big Country finished him. BJ just looked out of gas....Father Time has caught up with him

DDT
    Head Mod In Charge
    DDT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2338

Sorry to see both of them go....Mirko is still my all time favorite fighter.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

BJ always runs out of gas.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by moses millsap View Post
    BJ always runs out of gas.
    Never was knocked down in his career....and he was in some wars. Diaz was talking some serious smack...calling out GSP could be dangerous to his health

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    Never was knocked down in his career....and he was in some wars. Diaz was talking some serious smack...calling out GSP could be dangerous to his health
    I hate Diaz. Was just saying stamina has never been BJ's strong suit.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by moses millsap View Post
    I hate Diaz. Was just saying stamina has never been BJ's strong suit.
    No...I agree with you...probably sounded like I didn't believe it...my bad

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47515

I used to hate Diaz, but the dude delivers every fight..His fights are never dull or boring and he is not scared of anyone. One of my favorite fighters nowadays in that regard.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    I used to hate Diaz, but the dude delivers every fight..His fights are never dull or boring and he is not scared of anyone. One of my favorite fighters nowadays in that regard.
    When he fights GSP it could be a Cardio War....those 5 round GSP takes you down and rides you....round after round

Preston09
    You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?
    Preston09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

GSP healthy will smash Diaz! GSP injured will smash Diaz!

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Diaz should face charges for the kind of a beating he gave out tonight. That being said, BJ showed a TON of heart. I can't believe he hung in there. Damn that guy is tough.

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    He looked solid through about 1 1/2 rounds...then Big Country finished him. BJ just looked out of gas....Father Time has caught up with him
    BJ is like what, 32 or 33 years old? He isn't that old and he hasn't taken very many beatings. I don't think it's father time, i think he has just fought 2 really really tough guys who were just better then him. Between 2 weight classes, you can count on two hands how many guys can beat him. He's got a lot of fight left in him if he wants it.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Cro Cop during his Pride years was a force. His UFC years are something I would rather ignore. Much like Waderlei Silva. Guy had th most exciting fighting style during Pride. Then while fighting in UFC, he continuallly got KO'ed. It was hard to watch.

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

bj penn would be missed but he should start fighting guys on his own size and campaign again at 150's to get a rematch on Edgar.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

I hope they become great trainers for future mma fighters.

scofflaw
    scofflaw's Avatar Become A Pro!

I was bummed seeing BJ that devastated after the fight, but he brings this on himself. If his head isn't in the game anymore then maybe this is the correct decision before he takes more savage beatings. To a complete outsider like me, it looks like he doesn't want to put in the work to be among the best anymore. He's got a 155 frame and needs to be fighting in that division. Giving up 6'' reach and weight to the world's elite puts you at a large disadvantage from the start.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

both left their mark. mirko- best head kicks in history. penn- most flexible UFC fighter in history.

FlashinLeather
    FlashinLeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

I believed CroCop when he said it was his last fight, I really hope that wasn't BJ's last. Would like to see him drop back down to 155 and try and get one last title shot.

rossta4i
    rossta4i's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4613

BJ should've brought back the marinovich brothers. That's when he was in top shape. He was explosive and had gas. I'm sorry to say but BJ surounds himself with YES men so he doesn't have to put in the work

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    both left their mark. mirko- best head kicks in history. penn- most flexible UFC fighter in history.
    Penn also goes down in history as one of the hardest fighters to take down. Guy was better hopping around on one foot than most guys one two.

Really disappointed the way Penn "announced" his retirement.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    Penn also goes down in history as one of the hardest fighters to take down. Guy was better hopping around on one foot than most guys one two.

Really disappointed the way Penn "announced" his retirement.
    for sure- hard to deal with this kinda lower body/core strength

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

BJ Penn will be BACK!...

CompuStrike reported that BJ Penn got punched 239 times by Nick Diaz last night, and landed just 76. Unable to see out of a swollen left eye, Penn told UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan that he was done fighting. "I've got a daughter," Penn explained. "I've got another on the way. I don't want to go home looking like this again. I'm done."

However, UFC president Dana White who went on to express doubt about the retirement. "B.J. is a warrior, what happened to him tonight has never happened to him in his entire career," White said, adding "What he's thinking tonight he might not think eight weeks from now."
    BJ WILL BE BACK...

"They took B.J. right to the hospital. Who knows. It might be or it might not be (Penn's final fight). That's up to him. I don't know."

It appears that Penn's retirement may have lasted as long as the walk back to the locker room.

Allan Goes, BJ Penn's BJJ coach and cornerman for the Diaz fight, just posted the below gallery on his Facebook profile, with the final image clearly saying that BJ says he will be back.

He last word. I will be back

SLB_92
    SLB_92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

i knew he wasnt serious about the retirement, he was just being a sore loser and was in the heat of the moment. The cro cop one is probaly permanent though, unless he signs for a fight outside the ufc in croatia or something like that.

Im so disapointed he couldnt win his retirement fight. Been a huge fan of his since the pride days. Its better he retires it feels shitty watching him lose to bums like nelson/schaubb/mir. Guys he would kill in his prime.

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Quote Originally Posted by SLB_92 View Post
    i knew he wasnt serious about the retirement, he was just being a sore loser and was in the heat of the moment. The cro cop one is probaly permanent though, unless he signs for a fight outside the ufc in croatia or something like that.

Im so disapointed he couldnt win his retirement fight. Been a huge fan of his since the pride days. Its better he retires it feels shitty watching him lose to bums like nelson/schaubb/mir. Guys he would kill in his prime.
    agreed-- it would be nice if we could always watch match ups in which both fighters were in their prime--but I guess that would take the fun away from speculating

Dirty Sanchez

Over the past few Mirko fights they talked about his "other" interests and that he was on borrowed time.....he held his own for about half the fight then he got tired and careless. Big Country took some heavy shots....and if he thinks he can live through Cain or Junior's bombs he's got another thing coming.

As far as BJ...he needs a new camp and motivation factor if he fights again. Maybe go train with Jackson just to change things up...he looked stale

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage

Nelson is not a legitimate contender.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    Nelson is not a legitimate contender.
    I'll give it up to him a little as he did slim down a little (or firm up his flab) before this fight. I thought his comments to Joe Rogan after the fight were hilarious....."Joe I want you to stop calling me fat" and Rogan responded with "I only call you fat because you are"

Dabeergod
    Da Big D Boyz !!!
    Dabeergod's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

That BJ fight was awesome

stefan084

Quote Originally Posted by scofflaw View Post
    I was bummed seeing BJ that devastated after the fight, but he brings this on himself. If his head isn't in the game anymore then maybe this is the correct decision before he takes more savage beatings. To a complete outsider like me, it looks like he doesn't want to put in the work to be among the best anymore. He's got a 155 frame and needs to be fighting in that division. Giving up 6'' reach and weight to the world's elite puts you at a large disadvantage from the start.
    totally agree---he's so talented that he thinks he can still win no matter how "out cardioed" or how much reach or muscle he's giving up--love BJ but it's starting to piss me off. I wish he would just go back to 155 and bring back his "Marinovich" training. If his cardio was anywhere close to GSP/Diaz/Edgar etc. he would be untouchable imo

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Talk about a sport that I just don't get. UFC is it. Everyone seems to think it's the shit. I'd rather watch bum fights.

stefan084

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Talk about a sport that I just don't get. UFC is it. Everyone seems to think it's the shit. I'd rather watch bum fights.
    why?

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Talk about a sport that I just don't get.
    I feel the same way about soccer. I think it's just one of those things where you don't have to get everything. I understand the merits of the game and it has its moments but to have to actually endure an entire match would be difficult for me.

12 Last