ReBEL`LiON
    ReBEL`LiON's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

UFC 137: Underdogs that can win

I'm taking;

Diaz over penn +3.5 -195 spread
    Siver over cerrone +3.5 -115 spread
    Palaszewski over t.griffin +3.5 -130 spread

I think penn/diaz will be a good scrap. Both have incredible chins and will outlast a decision. Diaz will turn it on in the later rounds and do enough to win a decision. If not, lose a close 29-28 fight which covers the spread.

Against siver/cerrone I don't see this fight going to the ground unless someone gets knocked down. Cerrone comes to trade but siver is not a slouch on the feet. I can see siver losing a close fight or he can win a tough stand up battle. Coupled with great tdd and good technique on the feet, he can def hang with cerrone maybe beat him standing outright. 29-28 could still cover siver losing.

Tyson griffin hasn't finished his fights in the ufc and bart is pretty well rounded where ever the fight ends up. This is a live matchup but I'm giving the edge to tyson because he is proven durable grappling and has the wrestling edge over bart. One thing to note though is tyson weighed in 3 lbs over the limit. It could either mean he suffered an injury or he had a bad weight cut. Still, I based this pick off bart being a gamer and a seasoned vet. Again, 29-28 still covers.

These picks I believe are close fights. Could go either way but I see it going to a decision with todays bad judging, you never know.

Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

How does the point spread work in MMA?

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

Is that point spread based on rounds? Those are non title fights.

cheeese
    cheeese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

It's based on judge's scores. So 29-28 across the board is equal to -3. If your fighter finishes it is scored a win. In my opinion it works best when your have a fight that should be easy to score eg. Sonnen/Stann. Where one fighter has to get it to the ground to win and if he cant he gets KOed. So you shave juice but are protected against fluke finishes.

MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

interesting post. Liked your breakdown on cerrone / siver, I agree. I know a lot of peopel are on cerrone and rightfully so as was I, but I've been thinking long and hard about this fight and I am actually leaning toward siver now. If cerrone wins he wins by sub, otherwise I think siver wins a ud or tko. I can't give cerrone the edge in stand up, he didn't impress against vagner, hasn't impressed against guys with mediocre striking, and his tko of aloe (while I lost on aloe) I think was more a result of aloe being undersized against a good sized lw in cerrone. His tds are not something special imo, and siver's tdd should keep it on the feet, where I think he is the stronger and more damaging striker. Cerrone's striking volume might overwhelm siver, but I don't think it happens. Prob gonna put something small str8 on siver or throw him in a couple parlays.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Think Bart is best underdog value on this card

ReBEL`LiON

btw, if either fighter i choose win inside the distance, thats a win.

edit: just to clarify,

if diaz were to lose the first round, and ALSO lose the second round, but win in the 3rd round. the likely scorecard for all three judges would be 29-28 unanimous decision for BJ penn. So BJ wins by -3 pts, but he didnt cover the 1/2 point that I got for diaz.

you get the flexibility if you're fighter loses, wins by decision, or finish the fight.

these fights are highly likely imo to go the decision
    Last edited by ReBEL`LiON; 10-29-11 at 05:16 AM.

ReBEL`LiON

I've watched cerrone since he was on that tapout show and he's a great fighter. Very tough and comfortable off his back. But he is very hittable because he relies on his toughness to get through. If u watched varner 1, varner was hitting him with some shots and was looking like he was going to win the decision.

cerrone is still improving and has great upside in the future, but siver will be fighting a technical match and picking his shots on when to trade blows. he won't get KO'd but if cerrone would to finish siver, it would be a sub.

Mr.Kitty
    Update Status
    Mr.Kitty's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Think Bart is best underdog value on this card
    The fact that Griffin came in three pounds over was very interesting. I´ve been torn in this matchup, I can see how Bart wins by using his size and improved wrestling stuffing takedowns and outstriking Griffin to earn a decision or KO. At the same time Griffin is very technically sound, great legkicks and good wrestling. The two areas Bart has been weak defensively. If Griffin´s had a bad weight cut or illness it could affect his conditioning and overall explosiveness. If so, Bart will have a easier time dealing with him. And especially if you look at the fact that the most likely road to victory for Griffin is by decision.

Does anyone know why he was overweight? and how much he actually cuts?

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

Excuse my ignorance...but how are point spreads calculated?
    how do you get 3 pts from 29-28?
    even a blow out.. 30-27 is less than 3.5 points difference.. isnt it? i'm pretty sure i'm looking at this completely wrong
    Can anyone educate me?

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

ohh wait...
    29-28 3x(for 3 judges) is 3 points..
    aha i get it

So for penn to win the -3.5 at +160..
    he'd have to finish diaz, or take a decision with at least one of the judges scoring it 30-27 for him..?
    Last edited by Hannibal; 10-29-11 at 12:21 PM.

ReBEL`LiON

^ correct. if BJ wins all three rounds and all three judges score it 30-27 x 3 across the board, thats winning by 9 pts.

Also, im going to add Mitrione by not finish -165.

reasoning: kongo has an amazing chin and recovery. cain was giving it to him with multiple GnP strikes and he was taking it. i can also reference pat barry's fight. Plus, if kongo wins, its still a win for us. very flexible bet

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    ohh wait...
    29-28 3x(for 3 judges) is 3 points..
    aha i get it

So for penn to win the -3.5 at +160..
    he'd have to finish diaz, or take a decision with at least one of the judges scoring it 30-27 for him..?
    Unless there's a weird score out there then yes.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with what you're saying about these fights going the distance. That is why I would prefer playing fight goes the distance on all of them except Palaszewski because that line is too high. Either way though I can easily see you making a profit tonight.

ReBEL`LiON

HECK YEAH!!! I lost a good amount on cerrone/siver but last minute dropped 100$ on diaz +240 by decision. Fight pretty much played out how I seen it