proposition joe
    proposition joe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

UFC 137 Bets and Predictions

Here are both my bets and predictions for the upcoming card. Feel free to post yours as well. I'm very interested in seeing what everyone thinks.

Penn/Diaz
    - Prediction: Penn by TKO, Round 2 in a surprisingly one-sided fight. I like BJ better everywhere but I'm also a big Diaz fan.
    - Bet: BJ Penn (Risk 260 to Win 200 @ -130, 230 to Win 200 @-115)

Meathead/CupCheick
    - Prediction: Kongo by KO, Round 1. I like Mittrione A LOT and think he has much, much more upside than Kongo, but he leaves holes in his striking defense and relies more on two or three punch combos than one-hit power, making him potentially vulnerable to a Kongo/Barry-esque moment, although I would be surprised if he gets Kongo in that much trouble. Kongo also has the grappling edge and could win via GNP or UD if he goes that route.
    - Bet: Kongo (Risk 100 to Win 110 @ +110)

CroCop/Nelson
    - Prediction: Filipovic by TKO, Round 3.
    - Bet: Crocop (Risk 100 to Win 220 @ +220)

Jorgenson/Curran
    - Prediction: Jorgenson 30-27, but Curran will keep it from being embarrassingly one-sided.
    - Bet: NONE

Hioki/Roop
    -Prediction: Hioki wins a controversial split decision, forever erasing the notion that judges are anti-Asian and solidifying the theory that grappling and octagon control are often valued higher than effective striking.
    -Bet: Roop (Risk 37 to Win 99 @ +275)

Cerrone/Siver
    -Prediction: Cerrone by Submission in the first. Cowboy goes for and gets an early takedown and submits Siver within the first half of the round.
    -Bet: Cerrone (Risk 120 to Win 50 @ -240)

Griffin/Bartimus
    -Prediction: If I were forced to pick a winner and method, I'd say Griffin by UD.
    -Bet: Palaszewski (Risk 50 to Win 97)

Vera/Marshall
    -Prediction: Vera in an anticlimatic Round 3 stoppage.
    -Bet: Marshall (Risk 50 to win 175). Vera would lose to a flagpole two out of ten fights, I see value here.

Nijem/Downes
    -Prediction: Stripper Ramsey in a dominant but non-damage inflicting UD.
    -Bet: Nijem (Risk 210 to win 100)

Carmont/Carmozzi
    -Prediction: Camozzi by KO. I don't know. I should bet my neighbor a bag of potato chips to give me a reason to care (Chael insta-classic quote)
    -Bet: One large bag of Sweet Chili Doritos on Camozzi.

Starks/Jacoby
    - Prediction: Jacoby by TKO in the 2nd.
    - Bet: NONE

I know one and that is that I'll have a hell of a time watching this event. Hope everyone else does too!!

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

on hioki itd +122...and jacoby....g.l....for a college wrestler,starks` takedowns looked very stiff...he ddin`t appear to have much bend.....all he did was bend over and force his opponent down....given jacoby`s striking and how tired starks klooked in the fights i saw,i`m taking jacoby and betting that he stuffs those lame takedowns.....

hopefully i didn`t just see starks`s bad outings....

i`ve been critical of japanese fighters...but after refreshing my memory watching hioki vs sandro and several others,i think he might be the exception....i see his sharp trips coming into play and if it gets to the mat,i can see hioki giving roop his 5th sub loss here...

g.l....
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 10-26-11 at 08:26 PM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    on hioki itd +122...and jacoby....g.l....for a college wrestler,starks` takedowns looked very stiff...he ddin`t appear to have much bend.....all he did was bend over and force his opponent down....given jacoby`s striking and how tired starks klooked in the fights i saw,i`m taking jacoby and betting that he stuffs those lame takedowns.....

hopefully i didn`t just see starks`s bad outings....

i`ve been critical of japanese fighters...but after refreshing my memory watching hioki vs sandro and several others,i think he might be the exception....i see his sharp trips coming into play and if it gets to the mat,i can see hioki giving roop his 5th sub loss here...

g.l....
    Yeah and although neither Jacoby or Starks list of opponents are very impressive, I certainly think Jacoby has had tougher fights. Before Artenas, Starks' last opponent was 0-7. With Jacoby being a big MW (fighting at LHW before) and training at HIT Squad I'd like to think that he works on his wrestling a lot. He's also another one of these football turned MMA dudes that no doubt is very athletic. Going to watch some more footage on him and maybe make a play on him.

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

I think jacoby take this as well. He is a wildman. Seems like he really enjoys fighting. Made a play on him a bit too early. I didnt realise people were on starks at all.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by bjpenn85 View Post
    I think jacoby take this as well. He is a wildman. Seems like he really enjoys fighting. Made a play on him a bit too early. I didnt realise people were on starks at all.
    Anytime a dude with decent wrestling credentials faces a perceived "striker" with a similar record, the public are gonna favour the wrestler.

rocky mattioli

honestly didn`t see much game from starks outside of once the round starts,he tries to clinch and wrestle his opponent down.....as v. said,jacoby`s much taller,but not wispy...and in the fights i saw,starks` seemed to be quite tired from just taking guys down and laying on them...

could be very wrong....we`ll see...

TheCalculator
    TheCalculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5633

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post

Anytime a dude with decent wrestling credentials faces a perceived "striker" with a similar record, the public are gonna favour the wrestler.
    Jacoby is a beast. The 1 thing that gives me confidence he stuff the takedowns is he trained with Hughes and the crew. Hopefully they drilled that shit all night long.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Was reading Hughes' blog to see if he mentioned Jacoby, came across this piece he'd wrote about a divine intervention by God...although I'm not "anti-religion" it did make me chuckle!..

Penn vs. Diaz – UFC 137

October 26th, 2011
    This weekend is UFC 137: Penn vs. Diaz and Audra and I will be out there rooting for several fighters. Dustin Jacoby, who used to fight out of the HIT Squad is competing; also from Pat’s old gym, Bart Palaszewski; Jeff Curran, a native northern Illinois boy is competing; and, as you all know, I’m going to go out and help BJ cut any weight and help him out in any way I can.

I really feel that if BJ is in shape, he should win this fight. I think BJ’s striking is better, I think BJ’s take-downs are better, and I think BJ’s ground game is better. So the only way I see Diaz winning is if he gasses BJ out. If you’re going out for the fight, hit the forums and let me know.

I’m currently driving home from the airport dictating this blog to Nate (my webmaster) over the phone. I’ve been sitting here debating whether I should tell this story or not and I’ve decided to go ahead and share it. So here we go: I’m in the airport bathroom washing my hands, getting ready to pick up my luggage and get on the shuttle. A man at the sink next to me says, “I’m surprised to see you here.” I do my typical thing where I look at him like I don’t know what he’s talking about. He then says, “UFC right?” and I say “Yes.” I then look him over a little bit and he’s an older gentlemen (he eventually told me he was 62) wearing nice clothes. He asks for a picture and I say sure we’ll step outside and snap a pic. Usually when I do this, we’ll find a third person to actually take the picture, so that way we’re both in the picture. Well he just whipped his camera out and took a picture of me, giving me just enough time to get my hands up into a fighting pose. I then went and grabbed my luggage and found a shuttle to take me to my truck. When I sat down in the shuttle he was sitting across from me. We struck up a conversation and as more people got on the shuttle, space got cramped, so I jumped over and sat next to him. I thought if I’m going to sit next to somebody, I might as well sit next to a good conversation. I would call myself a question-asker, so I quickly started to find out a little more about him. He was returning from a trip down to Dallas for a job interview. A few months back, he was let go from his job. He had mentioned that he was going to send the picture to his kid, so I asked about that. Turns out he’s been married for a long time and has 11 kids, ages 21-31. Then he tells me one of his boys is handicapped and lives in the house with them. He also said that his wife has never asked for anything, except that her father with cerebral palsy live out the rest of his life in their house. I asked a few questions about that and he says it’s tough because people with CP just don’t remember anything. After he tells me this, he keeps talking; but to be honest, I go straight to prayer for him and his family. Especially asking that he gets the job that he travelled so far to interview for. At this moment, I feel God putting something on my heart and when I get that feeling, a lot of times I’ll try and make God prove it to me. So I fired right back, “God if you want me to do this, have him get off the shuttle when I get off.” In a parking lot with a couple hundred cars, there is no chance he’s going to get off the shuttle when I do. So we keep chatting and when we get to the parking lot the driver asks where I was parked and what I was driving. The guy I prayed for said “That’s right next to me,” and he got off the shuttle when I did. So now I know what I need to do, but how am I going to phrase it? That’s what I’m thinking the whole time as I put my luggage in my car as he’s still standing there chatting with me. So I told him, “I’m trying to hurry up and put my kids to bed; but I’ve got to tell you a story.” I tell him “I started praying for you when you told me a little bit about yourself. God put something on my heart – so I told him to prove it and have you get off the shuttle when I did. Well, you did and now I have to do what God has put on my heart.” I gave him a $100 bill out of my wallet and said, “Go take your wife out to eat wherever she wants to go.” Of course, he wanted nothing to do with the money, but how do you say no? I told him I consider myself a greedy man, because I know that if I give him $100, in a short time God going to give me $1000. I could tell he was astonished and speechless, so I jumped in my truck and, at this moment, I am still trying to race home to catch my kids before they fall asleep. One of the funny things is, I never caught the man’s name. I believe what happened tonight is what you might call a “divine appointment.” God knew that this man and I would meet before I parked my truck at the airport. Even before this whole trip was scheduled, God arranged for this meeting. So I’m just humbled and awe-struck at how He works in our lives. I will continue to pray for this man and I would ask that anyone else who feels led to should pray for him as well.

bjpenn85

Ha ha, what a pathetic ignorant prick.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

rocky mattioli

i`m a sort of live and let live kind of guy...i never try and judge another man`s motivation....i have noticed a strong and intolerant strain of atheism that seems to have become it`s own kind of fundamentalist cult with the younger generation...the “I don’t believe in God” part i get... i don’t get the “if I don’t believe in God, then nobody else should be allowed to act as though they believe in God in my presence” part.......

i guess it`s imbedded in young brains by our liberal professors...
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: The HOFF

bjpenn85

Surely it has. But matt hughes kind its wacky and bizarre. I dont believe christian people behave like he do. But religion should be kept on a personal level, as a rule IMO. The history is pretty indicative as i see it.

more_betterness
    more_betterness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8689

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    i`m a sort of live and let live kind of guy...i never try and judge another man`s motivation....i have noticed a strong and intolerant strain of atheism that seems to have become it`s own kind of fundamentalist cult with the younger generation...the “I don’t believe in God” part i get... i don’t get the “if I don’t believe in God, then nobody else should be allowed to act as though they believe in God in my presence” part....... i guess it`s imbedded in young brains by our liberal professors...
    Having just graduated in June, I can testify that this is very much the case in the UC system. We had an "atheist and agnostic students union" at UCSB.. Something I always found pretty comical as it was essentially a non-believing "church".

proposition joe
    proposition joe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Well, you guys convinced me.

Added Jacoby (Risk 220/Win 200)

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Quote Originally Posted by bjpenn85 View Post
    Ha ha, what a pathetic ignorant prick.
    I'm not sure what I believe and I wish I had more faith but to call someone a prick because they pray for someone else and wish them well is f*cked up

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

That's some chicken soup for the soul!

FightFightFight
    FightFightFight's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 168

Assume its all true though. What kind of asshole thinks that God went to such great lengths to communicate with him, and then determines that the reason is to give him a measly 100 bucks. ******* insulting.

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Quote Originally Posted by FightFightFight View Post
    Assume its all true though. What kind of asshole thinks that God went to such great lengths to communicate with him, and then determines that the reason is to give him a measly 100 bucks. ******* insulting.
    his way of going about it may be weird and for all I know he could be delusional but the bottom line is one human being doing good and or wishing well for somebody else-------good/weird > apathetic/normal

Spaceman Spiff
    Spaceman Spiff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 804

Quote Originally Posted by stefan084 View Post
    I'm not sure what I believe and I wish I had more faith but to call someone a prick because they pray for someone else and wish them well is f*cked up
    It's not because he prayed for someone else, or wished them well. I think his action was generous, but his motive was not. " I know that if I give him $100, in a short time God going to give me $1000."

If you're a nice person, and you want to help somebody because they need help, that's awesome. But if you help somebody, just because you think you'll be rewarded by God, you're an asshole.

rocky mattioli

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
    It's not because he prayed for someone else, or wished them well. I think his action was generous, but his motive was not. " I know that if I give him $100, in a short time God going to give me $1000."

If you're a nice person, and you want to help somebody because they need help, that's awesome. But if you help somebody, just because you think you'll be rewarded by God, you're an asshole.

helllooo ?...metaphor anybody?...helllooo???

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1812

Vera is definitely a lock.

rocky mattioli

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    Vera is definitely a lock.

good to see vera again...last time we saw him,he was heading south and his nose was heading north...

Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Really liking your Penn, Kongo, and Roop picks...

GL!

MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

Interesting picks, joe. Solid breakdowns.

While I agree with most, I gotta say I'm going against a few though. I'm with you on mirko, I got about 65 to win 160. I paid the juice on hioki and have a double line play on him at -310, gonna shoot myself if that doesn't hit, but I think he outclasses roop everywhere the fight goes. Have 20 on a 3 fight parlay with siver, diaz and hioki to win 150. Probably gonna make a small str8 play on siver as I've recently changed my thoughts on that fight.. thought long and hard about that one and my breakdown favors siver at those odds. Gonna probably make a couple small 'tilt' parlays picking against some ridiculious odds at low risk tomorrow. Have mirko to upset and boost the odds of a few multi event parlays I got going too. Overall nothing too crazy on this one outside of the double on hioki!

GL man, you got some good spreads. Either way like you said the real treat is the fights and i can't wait!!!!

My final plays, good luck everyone!
    My final plays for ufc 137:

Paid the juice and got 620 on hioki (-310) to win 200 (shooting myself if roop upsets... )

62 on mirko (+240) to win 148

diaz, hioki and siver - 20 to win 145

hioki, siver, penn by 3 rnd D - 10 to win 115

diaz, mirko, siver, ramsey, hioki by sub - 3 to win 210

diaz, siver, hioki itd - 7 to win 90

hioki, weidman, cerrone - 25 to win 34.

Let's go Hioki, gonnna be screwed if roop upsets!!!! WAR HATSU!!!
    Last edited by MMAbetMASTA; 10-29-11 at 05:56 PM.

bjpenn85

oh yeah. sure dude. that was what i meant. I called him an ignorant prick, referring to him, as an idiot. I even wrote matt hughes. this religion debate i am finished with. No point. But matt hughes is an idiot. period.

FlashinLeather
    FlashinLeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

well at least one of us will be winning some money tonight haha BOL