terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2428

Brian Melancon -110 vs. Felipe Portela

Any thoughts on this one?

Melancon really likes to get at it early. He is far from technical, but he is super agressive, seems to have some power and a solid chin. His cardio seems to hold up over 3 rounds and he is far more battle tested with fights in Strikeforce, Bellator against the likes of Adam Schindler, Todd Moore and Issac Vallie-Flagg. I cannot find footage of the Flagg fight, but setiments seem to side with Melancon. Maybe a questionable SD.

Melancon clearly has deficient wrestling. However, Portela is not the one to take advantage of this. He has some BJJ in his background (who doesnt in Brazil) but he primarily came up as a striker/kickboxer. He appears to be far more technical, but this appears to be a big step up. Five of his seven victories come against WINLESS opponents. The Nick Murico fight last year was a joke. His opponent was clearly not prepared to fight a professional MMA fight.

In his first fight off the southern california reginal circuit, will he be overwhelmed?

Still many question marks here for me, but I am not afraid of taking a loss. Melancon has to be the play as a small dog.

terpkeg

I think I may have something here, but if anyone has more insight on these guys, it would be great. Still havnt made my play. Waiting for Bodog and 5dimes to release.

terpkeg

-105 for 5d, going to move now i guess, since going to gym for next few hours.

Das Jax
    Das Jax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 225

I don't feel too strongly about this fight either way, but if pressed, I'd actually go the other way and pick Portela by submission. Based on his videos, Melancon's ground game is laughable. He presents absolutely no submission threat (or more importantly, defense) whereas Portela absolutely does... and he can take a punch as well. I can't see how Portella isn't coming into this fight planning to take the fight to the ground. My major concern would be the step up in competition that you pointed out, but I don't see that as an overwhelming factor in this particular instance.

terpkeg

Quote Originally Posted by Das Jax View Post
    I don't feel too strongly about this fight either way, but if pressed, I'd actually go the other way and pick Portela by submission. Based on his videos, Melancon's ground game is laughable. He presents absolutely no submission threat (or more importantly, defense) whereas Portela absolutely does... and he can take a punch as well. I can't see how Portella isn't coming into this fight planning to take the fight to the ground. My major concern would be the step up in competition that you pointed out, but I don't see that as an overwhelming factor in this particular instance.
    That is definitely something to consider. But does Portela have the wrestling to take the fight down? Idk, Schindler took the fight to the ground easily in the 2nd and 3rd, but he does have a wrestling background. Portela seems inclined to stand. You would think he would want to take it down but does he just go to his roots when pressed on the feet and exchange with Melancon.

All of the othr fights moving, this one seems to be getting no action. 5dimes moves these lines on almost anything.

dww123
    dww123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9200

The step up in competition is huge and Melancon was robbed in his last fight. take Melancon