sportsfanatic
    Update your status
    sportsfanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

fedor vs.... jeff monson?

this fight doesn't help fedor at all. win or lose.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...pphu-container

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Horrible...no interest whatsoever

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Junk fight. Fedor should be fighting elite guys or not at all.

jacktheknife
    jacktheknife's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16896

Yeesh.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

This will truly be sad if Monson wins.

kmdubya
    kmdubya's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1306

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    This will truly be sad if Monson wins.
    This fight is sad all around. Fedor should just fight a trained circus bear while covered in honey. Anyone still want to hang the Greatest of all Time on this clown?

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Who else can he fight? He can't fight anyone under strikeforce or ufc. He's pretty much done. It's kinda sad..

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Anybody seen Fedor's last 4 fights ? (rhetorical question, please don't respond)

I think is about Fedor's level to be brutally honest, stylistically very favorable but still fairly balanced. I will watch it for sure, but its nothing to get excited about.
    Points Awarded:

Chairib gave Poppa Catfish 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I'll watch Fedor maul monson.

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

They scheduled the fight for the same night as JDS vs. Valasquez. So i'll be watching...later in the week.

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rollins View Post
    They scheduled the fight for the same night as JDS vs. Valasquez. So i'll be watching...later in the week.
    I might consider reading the play-by-play a couple of months later. Maybe.

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

Quote Originally Posted by kmdubya View Post
    This fight is sad all around. Fedor should just fight a trained circus bear while covered in honey. Anyone still want to hang the Greatest of all Time on this clown?
    99% of heavy weight fighters fizz out at the end of their career. He's been fighting for a long time and without the help of elite scientists and trainers. He can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. He's not out to prove anything.

He's never been the most skilled guy in the game, but he has also NEVER had a boring fight. Not even one.

kmdubya
    kmdubya's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1306

Quote Originally Posted by Squareguy View Post
    99% of heavy weight fighters fizz out at the end of their career. He's been fighting for a long time and without the help of elite scientists and trainers. He can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. He's not out to prove anything.

He's never been the most skilled guy in the game, but he has also NEVER had a boring fight. Not even one.
    Fedor isn't fizzing out, he's realizing his real potential. I agree he is on the downswing of his career, but it wasn't that far of a fall.

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

fedor sucks bigtime.. guy is overrated in the first place..

caveira
    caveira's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1004

The errors began when Fedor has not signed with UFC after the end of PRIDE, this is just another step towards complete decay...

Spaceman Spiff
    Spaceman Spiff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 804

Why the lack of respect? Fedor has been one of the most exciting fighters in MMA for 10 years or more, and now that his career is winding down, people are just going to act like it didn't happen? Or that perhaps the people he beat were cans?

The only reason people shit on a fighter like fedor is because they're upset with that fighters fans, and honestly... if you let a few fanboys change your opinion on a fighter, you're probably too immature to be watching the sport.

I'm looking at you kmdubya.

probettor1
    probettor1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fedor had the greatest career ever in MMA but also the greatest disappoinment. The worst thing is that I heard he was saying that his family and god were his main focus right now and I say the same thing but I'm not fighting in a cage with these animals. If you are going to fight world class MMA your main focus should be to be the best of the best. Before losing the last 3 fights his main focus was to win fights to feed his family, but not anymore. Take for example Jon Jones and GSP, this two fighters are obsessed with the idea of been the best fighters ever in history, thay want to leave a legacy, a name in the history of the sports and they are doing so. Leonardo Da Vinci, Isaac Newton and Thomas Edinson main focus was not the family, the first two never got married, the last one used to work up to 20 hours per day. Yes, been the best in the world is a very demanding task.
    I'm a fan of fedor, this guy is awesome as a fighter and as a human been but he should have retired the day he he stopped thinking that winning the fights was the path for survival.

Vrakas
    Vrakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8912

fedor lost interest I agree with you.He needs to evolve as a fighter or just retire.Then he can see his family and go to church all the time.
    Last edited by Vrakas; 11-07-11 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo error

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

I'm a Fedor fan and I don't get all the haters. When he was rolling in Pride back 6-8 years ago...he was beating much better (Big Nog, Crocop, Coleman, etc.) than the UFC had to offer at the time at heavyweight (Sylvia, Arlovski, Couture). He was definitely overhyped...no doubt about it but he was the baddest man on the planet for several years and nobody can take that from him.

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Can't believe they are charging $20 for this on PPV.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

ha yeah, they are "taking the piss" as we say over here

probettor1

The other issue about Fedor that might have affected him is his training. Fedor used to train doing weight lifting when he started and he used to be very strong, then he stopped the weight training and was doing calisthenics and aerobics but he still had a great stength from his previous weight training plus the speed and endurance from the calisthenics and aerobics but after so many years without doing weight lifting he is just too weak compare to the other fighter in his weight class.

Mr Handicapable

Fedor is a Russian....they're kind of in their own world over there. Most suspect that the Russian mob has alot of control over Fedor which has obviously hurt his career. He hasn't mixed up his training and his fight night strategy (if he has one?) is terrible as well. The old Fedor would've ground-n-pounded Hendo to death but Fedor doesn't even bother with takedowns anymore? I think he could win a few fights and stay marketable for the UFC at 205 but it would take some cooperation between the Russians/Dana White so I'm not holding my breath.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

probettor1

Saying that Fedor is controlled by the Mob is not only disrespectful but also stupid if you mean by that that he lost intentionally. If you see his fights, lets take for example Werdum, if punched him really hard, Werdum fell and he went for the killing with full power. He just got caught by the best BJJ ever who pretend he was hurt. if you guys are going to trash a athlete at least use common sense and details of the fight that support you bad language. You could say he wasn't thowing punches to the face, he wasn't guarding his face, he open his guard on the ground to be choked.

probettor1

besides all fedor's fight in USA has been stand up fights; Pitbull, Brett rogers and even Tim Silva who was choked but after been almost KO with a stand-up punch. The same that he tried to do with Werdum. Poor conditioning is a sin, look at BJP. You need to be ripped and strong like jose aldo, gsp or fankie edgar.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

this fight is huge for fedor's future carrer, if there is going to be one, and for any chance of him being in the UFC since he isn't worth nearly as much and doesn't have any leverage.

When a fighter is on a 3 fight losing streak, especially when he was finished in all 3, the most important thing is getting a win, it doesn't matter against who.

probettor1

"Fedor doesn't even bother with takedowns anymore"? Is that the reason that made him lose?
    Fedor had Werdum and Henderson on the floor trying to ground and pound, he was just to weak to stay there doing his job.
    Sorry Mr Handicapable that is my opinion.

Mr Handicapable

Quote Originally Posted by probettor1 View Post
    Saying that Fedor is controlled by the Mob is not only disrespectful but also stupid if you mean by that that he lost intentionally. If you see his fights, lets take for example Werdum, if punched him really hard, Werdum fell and he went for the killing with full power. He just got caught by the best BJJ ever who pretend he was hurt. if you guys are going to trash a athlete at least use common sense and details of the fight that support you bad language. You could say he wasn't thowing punches to the face, he wasn't guarding his face, he open his guard on the ground to be choked.

I wasn't saying Fedor threw his matches? Why would anyone want their meal ticket to lose and hurt their marketability anyway? I'm just saying the Russians don't allow Fedor to choose his own destiny.

Mr Handicapable

"Fedor doesn't even bother with takedowns anymore"? Is that the reason that made him lose?
    Fedor had Werdum and Henderson on the floor trying to ground and pound, he was just to weak to stay there doing his job.
    Sorry Mr Handicapable that is my opinion.

He knocked Hendo down...he didn't take him down and then he got in too big of a rush trying to finish him off and got out of position. Another rookie mistake just like the Werdum fight. Its a lack of fight strategy and makes Fedor look like a rookie. Go watch Fedor vs Mark Coleman from years ago on Youtube. The guy is twice the size of Hendo and Fedor easily took him down and beat the hell out of him. There was no reason to stand up and trade with Hendo. Its possible that Fedor was on roids in Pride even though he never looked all that musclebound. Randleman and most of their other guys were. I'm not making excuses for Fedor just trying to point out some correctable mistakes. Its not like the guy is that old to get back in the mix.

Mr Handicapable

besides all fedor's fight in USA has been stand up fights; Pitbull, Brett rogers and even Tim Silva who was choked but after been almost KO with a stand-up punch. The same that he tried to do with Werdum. Poor conditioning is a sin, look at BJP. You need to be ripped and strong like jose aldo, gsp or fankie edgar.

Again you don't know what the fck you're talking about? Go look at Fedor on Youtube.....its full of highlights of him smashing musclebound "ripped and strong" guys like Coleman or Randleman etc. I'm looking at Fedor realistically as possible and atleast he fights whoever they put in front of him and NEVER bores the place to death with half his fights like GSP.

probettor1

Fedor used to be stronger, he used to do weight training and then decided that weight lifting was not the way to go and over the years he have lost strength. Running 6 miles per day and not doing weight training make you weak for sure. Yes he is still fast but not as strong as he should be in his weight class. He is not the same Fedor he used to be. By the way i dont like GSP as a fighter. He kicked Matt Hughes in the nuts a few times to create a conditioned response so he would cover his nuts with every kick, which allowed him to kick his face later while Matt was protecting his nuts, he also used excesive vaseline(or similar cream) when he fought BJP and he always fight much lighter fighter as he lose as much as 15 pounds by dihydration to gain it back just the day of the fight. And that is legal but is not fair. When I was a Judo fighter I would get the weight-in just before the fight and that should be the way to go. Allowing fighter to play that trick is also dangerous as they some times go to the extremes with dehydration.

probettor1

I wonder what betting line will they have. Fedor is 0-3 and Monson is 9-1 in his last 10 with a loss to the undefeated MMA and former Olympic wrestler Daniel Cormier. Does any one know?.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

monson is definitely no slouch either, hasn't been finished in years and only finished 4 times in 55 fights. I personally don't think he is going to win but if fedor finished him that would be impressive.

Also everyone knows lindland would have had fedor on his back easily if rules were followed.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Fedor is -450 on william hill

12 Last