JBT
    Square as a triangle
    JBT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31048

Jan Zaveck vs Andre Berto

Thoughts? I'm really looking forward to this fight... I have my faith in Dejan Zavec and wish he would do well, but most of all I expect this to be an exciting match to watch, assuming Dejan is indeed up for the challenge.

The fight is taking place in under 5 hours...

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Will berto finish him or win by decision?

JBT
    Square as a triangle

This fight is taking place in the States and will be broadcast by HBO, so if it goes to decision, I don't see Zavec winning, even if his score is better... judges will surely be in favor of the home boxer vs a "no-name" European.

JoshB
    JoshB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

damn cut ruined a great fight

JBT
    Square as a triangle

Yeah, that sucked It all happened in a few seconds, it's not like he was getting pounded and had to be saved... Couldn't they have just cut through the haematoma and sucked the blood out of it in order to open back his eye? Not sure what would've happened had his vision not been obstructed to an extent that they had to call off the fight, but I'd love to see it continue...

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

Quote Originally Posted by JBT View Post
    Yeah, that sucked It all happened in a few seconds, it's not like he was getting pounded and had to be saved... Couldn't they have just cut through the haematoma and sucked the blood out of it in order to open back his eye? Not sure what would've happened had his vision not been obstructed to an extent that they had to call off the fight, but I'd love to see it continue...
    WTF? Is this a serious proposition?

This isn't Nascar. There are no 60 second pit stop surgery's in boxing, or life for that matter.

Draining anything in the middle of a fight isn't just a health hazard to the fighters LIFE, it's a health hazard to everyone in the venue. The reason this process doesn't occur should be common sense.

JBT
    Square as a triangle

Why not? I've seen them drain blood out of an eye area swelling in the UFC before...

By the way... here are two interesting gifs of the last minute of the fight, explaining the sudden swelling of the eye:

Doesn't look intentional to me, but it sucks to lose a fight due to a headbutt...

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

Why not? I've seen them drain blood out of an eye area swelling in the UFC before...
    No... you haven't.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

By the way... here are two interesting gifs of the last minute of the fight, explaining the sudden swelling of the eye:

Doesn't look intentional to me, but it sucks to lose a fight due to a headbutt...
    i thought your boy was in the fight until the eye closed......interesting gif.....that`s what i saw happen also(even though the hbo crew is biased toward their meal ticket...they showed the repaly and barely mentioned the head clash)......

zaveck was in the fight...and i thought that berto may have been fading a bit....berto is very overrated,imo....

i have to say that zaveck was a little disingenuous about the stoppage,though...if the translator was correct,zaveck was screaming in between rounds that he couldn`t see...then acted indignant when it was stopped...

you say you can`t see,you`re basically asking out of the fight....

JBT
    Square as a triangle

In Zavec's own words, he was saving himself for later in the fight, his tactic was to conserve the strength and let Berto pound away until the second half of the match when he would start taking over. Obviously it was working as Berto was already pretty gassed in the fifth, but he did not count on getting injured.

In the post match interview for a local TV (right after the fight) he also mentioned he believed it was the head clash that caused the swelling and initial cut, but apparently chose to be a gentleman about it and not make a big deal out of it on the podium, as he didn't believe it was intentional. The guy is a true sport, down to earth guy not known for making excuses and I trust his words.

In the interview he said that all he could see was a blur because of the blood getting into his eyes and swelling closing them shut, and in that state he would not be able to protect himself during the fight. Him yelling "****, ****, ****" while in the corner was about him being upset and extremely disappointed after realizing that he's not able to see well enough to continue the fight. He told his corner about the vision problem, hoping there's something they could do about it, but the swelling was unfortunately just too bad. Obviously if your vision is severely obstructed, you have no business doing in a professional match...

I believe he had a chance and hopefully Berto honors his word and offers him a rematch - which he supposedly already promised to Zavec right after the fight. If you were watching the match you surely noticed their second hug and a big grin on Dejan's face just before the official announcement was made? Pretty sure that's where he asked him if he'd be willing to offer him a rematch and Berto agreed - hence the big childish smile on Zavec's face

I'd really like to see a rematch, even if Zavec losses again. I believe he deserves a fair chance even if a second loss might mean an end to his career. Do any of you who know how American boxing works better than me believe there's an actual chance of a rematch happening? I know Berto agreed... but would agents, promotors etc be up for it?

JC2008
    JC2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2519

Zaveck definitely deserves a rematch, although he won't get it.

I, for one would love to see Zaveck fight again on HBO in the near future.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

to be fair,zaveck`s left eye looked open....granted,fighting with only one eye can be a recipe for disaster... i`ve seen others fight through it...but it`s his call........if he didn`t think he could continue,then so be it....no one knows better than the fighter whether he can continue...

i really thought berto was beginning to fade....his balance was horrible....he takes an awful lot of punishment in his fights.....

in time,i see him following a similar career path trajectory as jermain taylor...

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fixing to watch the fight, I thought I was watching it live Got on here to see what everyones opinions were and saw that Zaveck gets stopped with a cut