hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

Legitimaticy of Brazilian judges

Since this is the first UFC in Brazil since UFC Ultimate Brazil in October 1998 I am curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are to how honest or different the judges will be. I remember UFC 129 held in Toronto (the first time mixed martial arts had even been sanctioned in the province of Ontario) and the judges seemed 'out of whack.' I can't remember the exact number but one judge scored it like 28-25 or something retarded. Then 2 judges only have GSP a 48-47 decision while the 3rd judge gave it 50-45.

Of course MMA has been around Brazil a long time and they have well-trained, experienced judges. My only concern is how the local judges will feel the pressure when they give their decisions. Brazilian soccer referees have been killed before and I'm sure the Brazilians will be quite passionate about their fighters winning.

I'm thinking there might be good value just playing the Brazilian fighters (vs. foreign fighters) by decision. Any relevance to this or am I exaggerating?

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

this was entertaining to read

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Pretty sure they are bringing in their own judges.

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

it's impossible for them to be worse than the status quo.

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

I heard a rumor that a an AllStar trio will be judging every fight on Saturday:

Cecil Peoples, Adelaide Byrd, and Tony Weeks.

Good luck everyone!

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

How do u know the judges are Brazilian?

kmdubya
    kmdubya's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1306

Quote Originally Posted by hels View Post
    Since this is the first UFC in Brazil since UFC Ultimate Brazil in October 1998 I am curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are to how honest or different the judges will be. I remember UFC 129 held in Toronto (the first time mixed martial arts had even been sanctioned in the province of Ontario) and the judges seemed 'out of whack.' I can't remember the exact number but one judge scored it like 28-25 or something retarded. Then 2 judges only have GSP a 48-47 decision while the 3rd judge gave it 50-45.

Of course MMA has been around Brazil a long time and they have well-trained, experienced judges. My only concern is how the local judges will feel the pressure when they give their decisions. Brazilian soccer referees have been killed before and I'm sure the Brazilians will be quite passionate about their fighters winning.

I'm thinking there might be good value just playing the Brazilian fighters (vs. foreign fighters) by decision. Any relevance to this or am I exaggerating?
    The Toronto event, and Vancouver events are bad examples as the judges are fairly inexperienced when it comes to juding MMA.

But bad judging goes on everywhere. There's been some turrrrrrible decisions go on right in Vegas, which is the MMA meca.

kmdubya
    kmdubya's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1306

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Maybe they all just got "brazilians" to try and blend in.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    B/c if you judge in Brazil, you've got to be Brazillian duh!
    And is it true that Mr. Peoples is no longer a judge? Dammit, there goes my Peoples underdog decision betting system.

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

When will we know which judges the ufc brought down there?

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    B/c if you judge in Brazil, you've got to be Brazillian duh!
    And is it true that Mr. Peoples is no longer a judge? Dammit, there goes my Peoples underdog decision betting system.
    Where did you hear this? If he got fired, that would be a monumental step towards making MMA better. Now they just need to get rid of that idiot Douglas Crosby. (The guy who gave 50-45 in the first Edgar-Penn fight and has several other questionable decisions)