GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Any love for big nog?

I realize there's the ring rust issue and possibly being on his last leg, but his last two losses were to two of the top guys in the division...

He will have the obvious "home field" advantage and large support behind him...Schaub has not beaten anybody relevant.. I just think at +210 odds its impossible to pass up... Thoughts?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

The "home field" advantage doesnt mean much to me. Depending on the mental state of the fighter it can just be more pressure on their shoulders. Spencer Fisher alludes to this factor in his interview about his fight with Tavares. The home advantage didnt bode well for Hardy agaisnt Condit and Hathaway against Pyle. In fact Hardy said he felt compelled because of the support to put on a "show" and be more aggressive, which ultimately led to him abandoning his strategy and made him over-zealous.

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Well "home field" aside... nog has fought the best of the best... schaub has fought.... an old cro cop and a fatman?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Indeed, but people wer saying the same before the Cain fight, such as "Cain was almost finished early by KOngo and has beat nobodys other than Kongo". At the end of the day guys like Schaub have got to work there way up, u cant expect them to be fighting the best at the start of their careers.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

people are saying the same thing about rua.....and in rua`s case,it`s silly,imo.......it`s the old,"last fight syndrome"..........people started jumping on ortiz` bandwagon after he hit the lottery vs bader.....and ortiz is going nowhere...

in nog`s case,theres a bit of a pattern behind the skepticism....he`s taking considerable punishment in his recent fights(even fights he manages to win).......and nog actually looks very stiff...his reflexes look shot......he has a vacant look in his eyes...i`ll tell you the truth...if you listen to forrest griffin talk,i sense a bit of a slurring in his speech...maybe it`s just my perception.....but you can only take so much punishment before it takes a toll...

i do differ a little with v on home court,though....i really think it will be a serious advantage here....... and that`s what is scaring me regarding schaub....if.....IF(it`s a big if) this hits the ground schaub could be in trouble...

there is no indication in his past history that would indicate that he`s a proficient ground fighter....the problem is,nog doesn`t exactly have great takedowns...

anywhere but brazil,i`d be using schaub in pars...just feeling a little leery here....so many all over schaub...

blumpkin
    blumpkin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5754

im not sure Big Nog is relevant anymore at this point.

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Do you love him long time?

kmdubya
    kmdubya's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1306

Big Nog is broken. I hate to see it, but he is a fraction of the fighter he once was (same a Cro Cop). The biggest tell tale sign for me was the Mir fight (and that was a while ago). I don't remember the exact number of times, but Mir folded him with punches at least 3 times. I'd say Schaub's striking is better than Mir's, so Nog's chin has a huge bull's eye on it and Schaub will end this fight with a TKO.

Even though that Mir fight was a while back, no amount of rehab will fix a weakened jaw. Schaub could lose if Nog out grapples him and gets it to the ground, but I just think Nog's chances are pretty slim in this fight.

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Schaub is nowhere near the striker that Mir is in regards to power or technique. Frank's a very very underrated striker. But Schaub might not need to be in this fight.

Oh and Cro Cop is one of the most overrated fighters in the history of MMA.

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

I would argue that schaub is at least the striker mir is, or better. Mir's striking is overrated if anything. Maybe its because frank constantly talks about his endless supply of karate techniques or his showing against nog. Mir has poor hand speed and while he can put weight behind his shots, he doesn't have the snap that a natural athlete like schaub has. Schaub has a better combination of reach and speed, both in his hand speed and movement.

kmdubya

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
    Schaub is nowhere near the striker that Mir is in regards to power or technique. Frank's a very very underrated striker. But Schaub might not need to be in this fight.
    I agree Mir's striking is underrated, and I'll even conceed technique. But Mir is not a power striker. His KOs of Congo and Nog were well placed strikes, but not really power punches (in my opinion). Schaub has some decent power in his strikes, and good technique. All of which will make for a short night for Big Nog.

The "Not On The Juice" version of Cro Cop it overrated for sure. The top guy on my list for overrated starts with "F" and ends with "edor".

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Mir's striking is very overrated. His contest with Nog he was made to look like a genius because he was fighting Nog on his worst day in the ring ever, and he hit a lucky shot against Kongo because Kongo was looking for the takedown.

kmdubya

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Mir's striking is very overrated. His contest with Nog he was made to look like a genius because he was fighting Nog on his worst day in the ring ever, and he hit a lucky shot against Kongo because Kongo was looking for the takedown.
    The Kongo KO was not a lucky shot. Trust me. He knew Kongo's tendencies and when Kongo bobbed to the one side, Mir already knew what he wanted to do.

That's what technique is. After a while, all those "lucky shots" can actually be called skill and technique.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by kmdubya View Post
    The Kongo KO was not a lucky shot. Trust me. He knew Kongo's tendencies and when Kongo bobbed to the one side, Mir already knew what he wanted to do.

That's what technique is. After a while, all those "lucky shots" can actually be called skill and technique.
    Oh, I agree that is was a well planned out attack. But the degree to which it worked was anomalous. The amount of variance in sports is grossly misunderstood. It's easy to look at that fight and think Mir should've been something like a -800 favorite.

That shot doesn't land 100% of the time, it doesn't put Kongo down 100% of the time, Kongo isn't as out of it 100% of the time, Kongo doesn't fall into the choke 100% of the time.

kmdubya

Oh, I agree that is was a well planned out attack. But the degree to which it worked was anomalous. The amount of variance in sports is grossly misunderstood. It's easy to look at that fight and think Mir should've been something like a -800 favorite.

That shot doesn't land 100% of the time, it doesn't put Kongo down 100% of the time, Kongo isn't as out of it 100% of the time, Kongo doesn't fall into the choke 100% of the time.
    Big thread derailment, but I think your reasoning is flawed. It was a well planned attack, but because it worked, it's an anomoly? I don't think you can have it both way.

Regardless, I am looking forward to this card big time. I've shelled out PPV dollars for a few skunks the last little while. So hopefully this lives up to my expectations.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Big thread derailment, but I think your reasoning is flawed. It was a well planned attack, but because it worked, it's an anomoly? I don't think you can have it both way.
    You're being silly now.

Does your car go open throttle or closed with nothing in between? Would you say that a car doing 100 down the highway is an anomoly? Could it also be on purpose?

If I punch you in the face and knock you out, does that mean that everytime I punched you in the face I would get a KO? Does it mean that every time I try to punch you, I'll connect?

kmdubya

You're being silly now.

Does your car go open throttle or closed with nothing in between? Would you say that a car doing 100 down the highway is an anomoly? Could it also be on purpose?

If I punch you in the face and knock you out, does that mean that everytime I punched you in the face I would get a KO? Does it mean that every time I try to punch you, I'll connect?
    This is well beyond the realm of whatever the hell we started discussing. So I'll just smile and start walking backwards..........

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

This is well beyond the realm of whatever the hell we started discussing. So I'll just smile and start walking backwards..........
    Sorry I couldn't explain it simply enough.

Hannibal

Here's an analogy... A PGA golfer hits a hole-in-one, kmdubya: there was no luck involved. He did exactly what he tried to do and what he has trained to become an expert in. Nunyabusiness: luck was involved, because even though a hole-in-one is always the goal, and what they would specifically train for, it is rarely the result.

Hannibal

Sorry for the shitty format..mobile version tends to do this. I agree with nunya, and I don't see how an intelligent person can disagree.

Hannibal

According to your logic...every time mir throws his money punch and doesn't floor someone..it was a fluke hahah

kmdubya

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Here's an analogy... A PGA golfer hits a hole-in-one, kmdubya: there was no luck involved. He did exactly what he tried to do and what he has trained to become an expert in. Nunyabusiness: luck was involved, because even though a hole-in-one is always the goal, and what they would specifically train for, it is rarely the result.
    OK. I do get where you guys are coming from now.

I still stand by my opinion that it didn't fall in the "anomoly" category. The odds of what happened with Mir/Congo were decent given everything that went into it versus a hole-in-one.

Excellent analogy, BTW. I could actually feel the heat from the lightbulb above my head as it sputtered into the "on" position.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Big Nog's open work-out...

The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Look at dem titties!

I initially was looking at a bet on Nog, but after seeing the weigh in I have no love for Nog.

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I guess he doesn't look great in that picture... But I wouldn't write him off in this fight. Schaub is grossly overrated.

MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

no....

Jordan23
    Jordan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

I see Big Nog getting blasted tonight.

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

he's probably going to get knocked out