Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

The home advantage didnt help Hardy or Hathaway at 120!

Chong Wizard
    Chong Wizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

English fighters are hopeless... I usually just fade them no matter where there fighting... most of them are one dimensional boxers. Bisping is the exception to the rule because they seems to give him fights he can win more often then not... even though I'm not a fan of his and always fade him when he steps up to higher level comp... anyone Remember Bisping vs. Hamill in London? Wasn't anything shady about that decision was there???

Chong Wizard

I really don't know how they fix fights now that Cecil Peoples isn't judging fights anymore

kmdubya
    kmdubya's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1306

Quote Originally Posted by Chong Wizard View Post
    anyone Remember Bisping vs. Hamill in London? Wasn't anything shady about that decision was there???
    Not the worst display of judging I've ever seen, but top 10 robberies for sure.

I can't hold anything against the UFC for trying to build that market by letting some of its "stars" fight cans, but the home town judging that goes on there is a joke.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Quote Originally Posted by kmdubya View Post
    Not the worst display of judging I've ever seen, but top 10 robberies for sure.

I can't hold anything against the UFC for trying to build that market by letting some of its "stars" fight cans, but the home town judging that goes on there is a joke.
    But, it was the American judges who awarded that fight to Bisping, the British judge gave it to Hamil.

kmdubya

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    But, it was the American judges who awarded that fight to Bisping, the British judge gave it to Hamil.
    You are right. I stand corrected. This interweb thing has some amazing stuff.

And it was the UFC who was responsible for selecting the judges that night.

Stolen from MMAJunkie:

Both Jeff Mullen and Cecil Peoples scored the fight 29-28 (awarding Bisping the second and third rounds) while British judge Chris Watts gave all three rounds to Hamill.

In the end, it was a controversial split-decision for Bisping.

"By the way, Mario Yamasaki thought Bisping won rounds two and three," Mullen wrote. "Mario was the ref and had a better view than any of us.

Because England has no athletic commission, the UFC was responsible for regulating the event. UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner was charged with the tasks of drug testing the fighters and choosing officials -- including Mullen -- to judge Saturday's fights.
    And I'm pretty sure the camera had the best view of that fight. And there was no way Bisping took 2 rounds in that fight.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

English fighters are hopeless... I usually just fade them no matter where there fighting... most of them are one dimensional boxers. Bisping is the exception to the rule because they seems to give him fights he can win more often then not... even though I'm not a fan of his and always fade him when he steps up to higher level comp... anyone Remember Bisping vs. Hamill in London? Wasn't anything shady about that decision was there???
    haha the classic one that's always brought up despite the fact that two American judges gave it to Bisping!

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I'm no fan of Bisping and there is money to be made fading certain british fighters, but I can definitely see a case for Bisping winning that decision. It was very close.

DDT
    Head Mod In Charge
    DDT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2338

Quote Originally Posted by omalley21 View Post
    I'm no fan of Bisping and there is money to be made fading certain british fighters, but I can definitely see a case for Bisping winning that decision. It was very close.
    Hammil has been down hill since that fight.....I think it really hurt his confidence

kmdubya

Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post
    Hammil has been down hill since that fight.....I think it really hurt his confidence
    His two fights afterwards were good. He was just never an elite fighter to begin with, and was exposed against Bones and Rampage. He was plagued more by injuries and stiff competition. Not so much confidence (other than Bones and Rampage).

Chong Wizard

The bottom line is that the popular British fighter won a crooked decision to help build the brand over there. It doesn't matter which judges were in on it. Cecil Peoples was involved in his fair share of crooked decisions. Why else is he no longer judging fights in the UFC? It started to become to obvious.

Chong Wizard

Bisping was way more marketable than Matt Hamill. They had already built his hype on the TUF. They weren't letting their investment go down the drain. I mean if he wasn't popular why would he be one of the coaches on the next season of TUF.

I know some of you will gonna jump to conclusions like why don't they do that for every TUF winners. Well they usually do give them a bunch of winnable fights while building the hype... but Bisping is unique in the fact that he became the face of British MMA so quickly. Most TUF winners are just another american that they can milk for a year or two (while their still popular) then throw them to the wolves at their disposal. Ryan Bader is a pretty good example of that.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

The bottom line is that the popular British fighter won a crooked decision to help build the brand over there. It doesn't matter which judges were in on it. Cecil Peoples was involved in his fair share of crooked decisions. Why else is he no longer judging fights in the UFC? It started to become to obvious.
    Don't confuse ineptitude with conspiracy.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

What actual evidence exists to show that the UFC has ever tried to rig a fight?

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

If you can't understand why people like Forrest here then you should probably find another sport to bet on. Personally I put Shogun at around -165 for this fight. I think Bookmaker had it right with their -155 opener.
    Last edited by illmatick; 08-26-11 at 01:31 PM.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Quote Originally Posted by illmatick View Post
    If you can't understand why people like Forrest here then you should probably find another sport to bet on. Personally I put Shogun at around -165 for this fight.
    Yeah I can completely see why people are going in on Forrest at +200... value is there. But is his head?

Forrest can with his heart, size, cardio, and GnP. His ground game is always underrated for some reason.

With that said, I have a gut feeling Rua wins this by decision.

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Anyone catch the weigh ins? If so - how did Shogun look -- any signs of "issues"...?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Couples things wrong about this: a) Bisping is not really that a popular British fighter, u ask the average person in England who Bisping is and they'd have no idea. And even for MMA fans he was never that popular, he was just the only mainstream guy around at the time, but since Hardy, Hathaway, Pearson and Picket have appeared in UFC they have become more popular. b) You're making the same mistake that most sherdoggers make when saying things like Dan Hardy is only kept around for the UK market, and Bisping fights are fixed to suit UK market. In the grand scheme of things the UFC don't give a fu*k about the UK market. Do you think they would only do one event a year in England if they thought it was profitable? They're only doing the Birmingham in November because of all the abuse they were getting about it after saying at end of last year that they'd do 4 to 6 events this year (an empty promise). They havnt been back to Ireland neither despite promising. Quite simply, a lot more money can be made from other countries.

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    I watched Countdown to UFC Rio on TV.

Which showed how Griffin knows how Shogun fights. Griffin said Shogun blitz his opponents and never to move back, that's how Shogun defeated Liddell and Machida the second time. They moved back and got blitzed. Griffin said that he will not move back and keep moving forward to prevent getting knocked out.
    What Forrest doesn't know is that I watched the countdown show also. He basically showed his cards, told me what he is going to do, and he is going to pay for it.

Nick The Greek
    Nick The Greek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

Quote Originally Posted by Educ8d Degener8 View Post
    Anyone catch the weigh ins? If so - how did Shogun look -- any signs of "issues"...?
    Just watched a vid of the weigh-ins. Shogun looked in pretty good shape to me, much leaner than his last 2 fights.

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Quote Originally Posted by Nick The Greek View Post
    Just watched a vid of the weigh-ins. Shogun looked in pretty good shape to me, much leaner than his last 2 fights.
    Yeah, he looks fit...

Chong Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by illmatick View Post
    If you can't understand why people like Forrest here then you should probably find another sport to bet on. Personally I put Shogun at around -165 for this fight. I think Bookmaker had it right with their -155 opener.
    I guess I should find another sport to bet on right?

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Yeah, actually you do if you still don't understand why people liked Forrest at that price. There was a few plays that had value in that fight and I cashed with 2 out of the 3.
    Last edited by illmatick; 08-27-11 at 10:30 PM.

DDT
    Head Mod In Charge
    DDT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2338

Forrest looked like he gave up to me....not a good showing for the hairy man

Chong Wizard

I understand the concept of "Value" bets. I just didn't see much value in Forrest in this situation. I actually find value betting better in other sports like baseball and hockey. Sports where teams play so many games in a year that they aren't always up for every single game. Don't get me wrong I like under dogs in MMA too but just betting on things based only on value is foolish.

kmdubya

Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post
    Forrest looked like he gave up to me....not a good showing for the hairy man
    Forrest had two opportunities to take Sho Gun down and didn't take them. He deserved that loss.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

I understand the concept of "Value" bets. I just didn't see much value in Forrest in this situation. I actually find value betting better in other sports like baseball and hockey. Sports where teams play so many games in a year that they aren't always up for every single game. Don't get me wrong I like under dogs in MMA too but just betting on things based only on value is foolish.

Betting on anything other than value is foolish. It is the only proper reason to make a wager, unless you're using value to mean some arbitrary thing that it doesn't mean. If the payout is higher than the odds of something occurring it is value and worth betting. Anything else is silly.

It would be an interesting thought experiment to poll the forum as to what they think the proper lines were in tonights card after the fact. I think there would be some laughable numbers.

Majoravsfan
    Majoravsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Betting on anything other than value is foolish. It is the only proper reason to make a wager, unless you're using value to mean some arbitrary thing that it doesn't mean. If the payout is higher than the odds of something occurring it is value and worth betting. Anything else is silly.

It would be an interesting thought experiment to poll the forum as to what they think the proper lines were in tonights card after the fact. I think there would be some laughable numbers.
    What hes saying is that you should just bet on who you think is going to win, not bet on somebody because they have good odds.

Chong Wizard

You know this is why I don't like to post in forums. Not one person has come in here and said you were right! Good call. Shogun knocked him out. People wanna come in here and hate some more about how I'm still wrong even though I was on the right side.

kmdubya

You know this is why I don't like to post in forums. Not one person has come in here and said you were right! Good call. Shogun knocked him out. People wanna come in here and hate some more about how I'm still wrong even though I was on the right side.
    Seriously? Well then....you were right. Congrats.

Not to rain on your parade, but everyone said Forrest would win if he took Sho Gun down and wore him out. And Forrest passed up on two opportunties to try and take Sho Gun down. So it wasn't some great fight picking by you, it was Forrest having the dumbest game plan I've seen. Going strike for strike with Sho Gun? He deserved to get TKO'd.

But hey, congrats on being able to predict ALL that.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by Majoravsfan View Post
    What hes saying is that you should just bet on who you think is going to win, not bet on somebody because they have good odds.
    That is what he's saying EXACTLY! And I'm saying its EXACTLY wrong.

Picking winnerz is how losers and sports fans bet. In your handicapping you should be assigning win percentages and betting whomever is significantly off your assumed line.

Sportsbetting is done with a calculator.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Being on the right side isn't important. According to the collective wisdom you were going to be right 70% of the time. It doesn't matter.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

you create a thread thats says everyone is on Griffin. who is everyone maybe 3 posters said there might be value on him

then you complain no one gives you credit for picking a -230 favorite, who all but 3-4 poster were on anyway

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

c`mon...let`s call a spade a spade....griffin got blown out,period.....he had every possible advantage going into the first fight...home field,rua in a new org. fighting under new rules......fighting for the first time in america since 2003(his last legit loss).......knee issues.......

griffin the underdog with nothing to lose...crowd chanting and cheering him on.....

he had none of that this time..and seemed to have a lousy attitude going in....

..and after seeing rua in his rematch vs machida,you had to think the guy knows how to adjust a gameplan...

all due respect to my brothers in the forum...but i didn`t see the value in any of that....

Dad
    2011 Adult Entertainer of the Year
    Dad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Who took Forest Griffin's balls? I'm pretty sure his new wife keeps them on a bedside table because they sure the hell weren't in the ring.

First 123 Last