imadegen
    imadegen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9093

Matt Mitrione set to face Kongo at UFC 137

A heavyweight bout has been added to the upcoming UFC 137 fight card with former ‘Ultimate Fighter’ competitor Matt Mitrione facing Cheick Kongo.

UFC officials confirmed the bout on Thursday.

With a 5-0 record since his time on the reality show, Matt Mitrione has become the next big thing in the UFC’s heavyweight division.

A powerfully strong fighter with true knockout power, Mitrione has looked better with each fight, and kept his record flawless with his last win over Christian Morecraft at UFC on Versus 4.

The former Purdue wrestler didn’t take much time off following his win however as he headed to Cincinnati to help Rich Franklin in his preparation for his bout against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC 133.

Mitrione’s hard work will pay off in October when he faces Frenchman Cheick Kongo at UFC 137.

Cheick Kongo also fought on the UFC on Versus 4 fight card, but had a much different ending to his fight than Mitrione did that night. After getting dropped twice early by opponent Pat Barry, Kongo fired back with a hail mary shot that knocked Barry out.

It may be one of the greatest comebacks in MMA history, and when it was over Kongo was victorious. He’ll try to duplicate the winning part anyways when he faces Mitrione in October.

http://mmaweekly.com/matt-mitrione-v...137-fight-card

Looking to be an awesome card:

Gsp Vs Diaz
    Penn Vs Condit
    CroCop Vs Nelson
    Mitrione Vs Congo

Big step for mitrione, but he deserves the shot.

thoughts?

RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

good fight. good match making by joe silva. he finally got it right. no clue who wins tho.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

Sounds good.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kongo isn't really much of a step up. Mitrione is better and I wouldn't be surprised if he opened as a favorite here.

Jordan23
    Jordan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

Kongo can take Matt down and probably use some GNP

capone1899
    capone1899's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 122

I like Matt here, wonder what the line will be?

Wrecked
    Dreamin the live
    Wrecked's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan23 View Post
    Kongo can take Matt down and probably use some GNP
    Lol wishful thinking much?
    Kongo is going to try to throw hands with Meat-head, but I believe Matt is going to win via TKO.
    Easy fight to call imo, I don't see Kongo taking it to the ground at all, and Kongo has a week chin, and Matt has put his hands on display.

Shafted69
    Green Shoots 2021
    Shafted69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1693

Hard to say who, but I will definitely be betting on this b/c I am an addict.
    Points Awarded:

NunyaBidness gave Shafted69 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

spargament gave Shafted69 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

Wait, does that say CROCOP?

Against Roy Nelson?

Gambling Gods, you're too kind.

tankman777
    tankman777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

mitrione will destroy kongo

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

I give Mitrione the edge as the better all around fighter... but Kongo is definitely a step up from the guys he's been fighting. I'll take the dog in this one if they end up anywhere around +150.

sportsfanatic
    Update your status
    sportsfanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

i'm still bitter over my pat barry loss. hope mitrione destroys kongo.

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Considering the way the Barry fight went down, I think we see Kongo go into ultra wrestling mode here. Wouldn't feel good betting on him as the favourite though, given Mitrione's power and fleetness of foot.

Straight Cash
    Straight Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Should be a pretty solid fight.

koscheckbaby
    Briscoe and Logan Baby!!!
    koscheckbaby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 550

To be honest, I think Kongo is a MUUUUCH better striker. Mitrione is athletic, but he's very sloppy and almost arrogant in his standup, keeping his hands low and throwing some really flat flooted strikes at points. He's so open to counters and his chin is asking to be checked. Perhaps that's due to the fact his last few opponents weren't a threat to him standing or his inexperience. But I just think Kongo is a little more than he can chew at this point. Joey Beltran rocked him a few fights ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Kongo finishes the job. And why couldn't Kongo keep his distance and kick the shit out of Meat? I'm not convinced Mitrione would be able to effectively check some hard leg kicks or take some brutal body kicks.

With that said, I don't trust Kongo much after that Barry almost disaster and would step lightly.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by koscheckbaby View Post
    To be honest, I think Kongo is a MUUUUCH better striker. Mitrione is athletic, but he's very sloppy and almost arrogant in his standup, keeping his hands low and throwing some really flat flooted strikes at points. He's so open to counters and his chin is asking to be checked. Perhaps that's due to the fact his last few opponents weren't a threat to him standing or his inexperience. But I just think Kongo is a little more than he can chew at this point. Joey Beltran rocked him a few fights ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Kongo finishes the job. And why couldn't Kongo keep his distance and kick the shit out of Meat? I'm not convinced Mitrione would be able to effectively check some hard leg kicks or take some brutal body kicks.

With that said, I don't trust Kongo much after that Barry almost disaster and would step lightly.
    Yeah no doubt this is a step up for Mitrione. I dont think anybody could argue that Kongo wouldn't beat Morecraft, Hague, Beltran, Kimbo and The Darkness just as comfortably. Only two of those guys are still in the UFC and they bottom level. Be interesting to see who the dog is and how the line moves.

koscheckbaby

Would you say Mitrione is easier to wrestlehump than Barry? I was just thinking of how Morecraft, who was beat to shit, got Mitrione down. Mitrione just doesn't seem to have the balance to stop doublelegs without being put on his ass. Kongo can likely get him down easier than Barry. Barry had more success stopping Beltran's takedowns than Meat did.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Would you say Mitrione is easier to wrestlehump than Barry? I was just thinking of how Morecraft, who was beat to shit, got Mitrione down. Mitrione just doesn't seem to have the balance to stop doublelegs without being put on his ass. Kongo can likely get him down easier than Barry. Barry had more success stopping Beltran's takedowns than Meat did.
    Yeah maybe but Mitrione is quite composed and good at getting back to his feet once down.

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Mitrione is going to knock kongo the fuk out!

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mitrione was also taken down by Kimbo and a dying Marcus Jones. His constant movement makes him difficult to grab hold of, but the fact still stands that whenever his defensive wrestling has been tested, he's been put on his back.

That said, maybe training under the tutelage of Tom Erikkson will start paying off soon. He couldn't really find a better instructor in that capacity.

koscheckbaby

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Yeah maybe but Mitrione is quite composed and good at getting back to his feet once down.
    Did he get back to get feet against Morecraft? I thought the ref stood them up. I know against Beltran, he was in some trouble prior to the round stopped. I was very disappointed. I figured after how active he was versus Kimbo that he'd be threatening Beltran if it did went down. He got pounded on. Morecraft passed too, I BELIEVE. Can't believe I'm vague on a fight that just happened.

I just think Mitrione has too many weaknesses at this point for Kongo.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Did he get back to get feet against Morecraft? I thought the ref stood them up. I know against Beltran, he was in some trouble prior to the round stopped. I was very disappointed. I figured after how active he was versus Kimbo that he'd be threatening Beltran if it did went down. He got pounded on. Morecraft passed too, I BELIEVE. Can't believe I'm vague on a fight that just happened.

I just think Mitrione has too many weaknesses at this point for Kongo.
    Yeah by no means do I think he is some sort of ground wizard - he probly did struggle against Beltran and Morecraft, and clearly is still very raw. But I'd think that he's probably better on his back than Evensen, Buentello, Al-Turk and probably even Hardonk - the guys that had trouble when Kongo was on top of them.

koscheckbaby

Yeah. Royce Gracie has to be embarrassed that he ever gave a belt to turtle Hardonk

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladarus View Post
    Kongo isn't really much of a step up. Mitrione is better and I wouldn't be surprised if he opened as a favorite here.
    You don't think kongo is a step up from morecraft, beltran, hague, and kimbo. Are we in the same universe?

spargament
    KHABIB
    spargament's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 367

Quote Originally Posted by Shafted69 View Post
    Hard to say who, but I will definitely be betting on this b/c I am an addict.
    honesty FTW.

I think Kongo is gonna be in a nice spot to place a wager on if he opens at anything more favorable than +150, ideally everyone hops on the Mitrione bandwagon and I can get it at +200 or better...Mitrione really impressed me with his improvement from match to match, and I thought his 'deliberateness' in his last fight was very impressive (when he wants to turn it up, he turns it up,at the right times), but I got a strange feeling about this.....which is subject to change

koscheckbaby

Kongo has to be a favorite in the -150 to -225 area, right? I mean, Meat is an impressive prospect. But he's just that. A prospect. People seem to think Mitrione will be the favorite. I don't see it.

Pabinator
    Pabinator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 74

Great Card.

Matt has been looking good, this surely is his toughest apponent to date

spargament
    KHABIB

Kongo has to be a favorite in the -150 to -225 area, right? I mean, Meat is an impressive prospect. But he's just that. A prospect. People seem to think Mitrione will be the favorite. I don't see it.
    I think that's the REALITY of the situation, but given that in the same time span Meat rolled off all 5 of his pro fights and has gone undefeated (albeit against a much lower level of competition than Kongo has faced), Kongo has 2 wins, 2 losses and a draw, and he really doesn't have a top level win his entire career...who's the BEST guy he's beaten in his entire career? Either Barry (not elite), Buentello, or a washed-up Cro Cop (who I'm assuming will get eaten alive no pun intended against Roy Nelson)...I really wouldn't be surprised to see Mitrione open as a favorite...

Fiasco01
    Fiasco01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 962

Yeah I think Kongo will be a little more tentative with the striking here...if he watches any tape he'll know he can exploit Mitrione on the ground...the question will be if his cardio can last long enough to break or at least frustrate Mitrione. I can see Kongo getting gassed trying to control Matt on the ground and then falling hard. Either way should be a great fight and ridiculous card.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

I think it will be a pretty close line.... if Kongo is a fav around -225 then I won't hesitate to lay my $ on Meathead at around +180.... and probably a hefty sum.

If I had to guess the lines on this one I'd go with
    Kongo -140
    Meathead +120

spargament
    KHABIB

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    Kongo -140 Meathead +120
    The more I think about the way opening lines have looked these days, I wouldn't be surprised if this was very close to being the exact opener...it's very difficult for me to separate what I think the line should be from what it will be when it opens. Obviously having such a defined idea of the skill disparity makes it easier to find value in lines once they're up, but predicting what essentially amounts to a prediction of the public perception in MMA is tricky.

I'd guess -145/+125

freelee
    Update your status
    freelee's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 478

I think Kongo takes this in a stand up war

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

rolling with meathead and the +odds all day

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

No play for me. Bad spot to bet on.

danso
    danso's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3036

Solid fight card. Hopefully no injuries or last minute replacements change this.

12 Last