Dave--M
    Dave--M's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Chiek Kongo vs Pat Barry

3 questions :

1: who do you see winning this fight and why IN YOUR OPINION ?

2: have you actually come to this conclusion yourself ? or have you been massively influenced on your pick by Vaughney and his thoughts on what will happen, as he seems to be the best picker here, ive noticed people do blindly follow his lead

3: How much money have you actually bet on the fight, not units, real money ?

NickDiaz209
    NickDiaz209's Avatar Become A Pro!

kongo is a great bet simply because pat barry is garbage. kongo will have a lot of reach and height...will cruise to victory and frustrate barry

Dave--M
    Dave--M's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

ok,

well who do you see as a weak link in a triple of

kongo
    bader
    guillard

because i thought the weak link in that was kongo thats why i wanted opinions on him

NickDiaz209

they all win...and I dont think theres a chance in hell tito beats bader, coming from a huge tito fan.

if u put a gun to my head I guess id say barry and roller both have a 10% chance

thesox0311
    thesox0311's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Bader would win that fight with one arm tied behind his back....Tito will get his walking papers after this fight

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by Dave--M View Post
    3 questions :

1: who do you see winning this fight and why IN YOUR OPINION ?

2: have you actually come to this conclusion yourself ? or have you been massively influenced on your pick by Vaughney and his thoughts on what will happen, as he seems to be the best picker here, ive noticed people do blindly follow his lead

3: How much money have you actually bet on the fight, not units, real money ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDiaz209 View Post
    kongo is a great bet simply because pat barry is garbage. kongo will have a lot of reach and height...will cruise to victory and frustrate barry
    Yeah I'd agree it's pretty simple, unless you've only been following the sport for a few weeks then u shouldn't have the need to tail me on this one as it should be pretty obvious that this isn't a great match-up stylistically for Barry. It's going to take an injured Kongo (though he's had surgery after the Browne fight) or a terrible strategy from Kongo for Barry to have a chance IMO.

Other than the obvious points that include Kongo having a strength, grappling and experience advantage, I'd also add that he's spent the entire camp training in Huntington Beach (with likes of McCulloch, Rampage, Ghosn, Jay Silva, Oli Thompson, Ishii) rather than at Wolfslair for the main reason being that he doesn't have to worry about jet-lag and travelling (which he claims have effected him in the past). Working with Judoka Olympic Gold Medalist Satoshi Ishii could prove very useful as he is a similar size to Barry (5ft 11" and 240lbs) and will of undoubtedly helped Kongo with his takedowns and overall grappling game.

For me -155 is a steal, bare in mind that Kongo was a -208 to -170 favourite against Travis Browne only back in October and now is only a -155 favourite against Pat Barry! This doesn't quite makes sense to me! Barry is clearly a fan-favourite due to his kicks and flamboyant personality, whilst Kongo is quite the opposite, most casual fans seem to dislike him due to his tendency to be "dirty" and "boring." These can be the only reasons I can think of why people are betting on Barry and why Kongo's line isn't at -200 or worse where I think it should be.
    Last edited by Vaughany; 06-19-11 at 11:46 AM.

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Kongo by being bigger, stronger and having a ground game. Kongo is tough, only guy to go distance with best hw in the world. He will grind out a boring UD.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

How often does he grind out boring UDs?! I'll be surprised and impressed if Barry makes it out the second round.

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

If barry wins, how do you think he does it?

scofflaw
    scofflaw's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    If barry wins, how do you think he does it?
    Leg kick TKO

MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

personally, I wouldn't touch this fight... I know there aren't many odds yet, but once they come out I think there will be more favorable matches odds-wise on this card, and I already think there are easier fights to call. I think kongo wins, but you guys might be underestimating barry and I would not count him out by any means. I wouldn't touch this fight unless I got kongo at near even or as a dog, which I don't see (but I don't know what he opened up at???). I never like it when two strikers face off, especially when their striking style is very similar. Kongo is much taller and his reach will be clutch, so I think he has a good chance to win. I just don't like this fight in a stylistic sense, and therefore I am staying away from it and will make money else where GL!

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MMAbetMASTA View Post
    personally, I wouldn't touch this fight... I know there aren't many odds yet, but once they come out I think there will be more favorable matches odds-wise on this card, and I already think there are easier fights to call. I think kongo wins, but you guys might be underestimating barry and I would not count him out by any means. I wouldn't touch this fight unless I got kongo at near even or as a dog, which I don't see (but I don't know what he opened up at???). I never like it when two strikers face off, especially when their striking style is very similar. Kongo is much taller and his reach will be clutch, so I think he has a good chance to win. I just don't like this fight in a stylistic sense, and therefore I am staying away from it and will make money else where GL!
    This won't be a striker vs. striker match-up. The most likely outcome is Kongo hustling Barry up against the cage, taking him down, and beating him up, a la the Paul Buentello fight. Considering Barry's lack of wrestling and ground skills, and Kongo's enormous size advantage, this should be a walk in the park for the shorts-grabbing-ball-smashing-Frenchman.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Yeah anybody that still thinks Kongo is just a "striker" has either not been watching his past fights or just been listening to UFC promos!

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

I'm only putting $20 on this fight.
    When I fully understand MMA fights and then I will start betting 1 unit per fight.

Vaughany made some good arguments on why Kongo will defeat Barry.

I have my own strange reason and theory that people who cry tears are mentally weak people.
    I seen Barry cry tears, it will eventually get him in the long run and this fight.
    Rivera cried tears during the UFC countdown interview, which I believe is one of the factors to Bisping defeating Rivera.
    Last edited by GunShard; 06-19-11 at 07:17 PM.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    When I fully understand MMA fights and then I will start betting 1 unit per fight.

I have my own strange reason and theory that people who cry tears are mentally weak people.
    I seen Barry cry tears, it will eventually get him in the long run and this fight.
    Rivera cried tears during the UFC countdown interview, which I believe is one of the factors to Bisping defeating Rivera.
    I'm sure Rivera shedding tears way before the fight really did lead to him losing to the better, younger fighter.

reformed
    reformed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 846

i was contemplating kongo at -185 as a solid bet but at -155 I just couldnt resist the value.

NickDiaz209

It won't be easy to knock someone out who is 5 inches taller...he's gonna have to swing upward...this seems like a nightmare matchup for Barry on paper.

However, you never know considering he let Frank Mir drop him like a can.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

Quote Originally Posted by urge2kill View Post
    I'm sure Rivera shedding tears way before the fight really did lead to him losing to the better, younger fighter.
    Did you not read what I said "one of the factors". that's the most important part of my sentence.

"Better younger fighter" that's why Bisping won that is ""one of the factors" like I said before. You are talking about my factors without even knowing it.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

ha tht's an interesting factor and makes no sense at all! Just because somebody cries does not make them mentally weak, it shows that they have passion. Frankie Edgar cried after beating BJ Penn and after the draw against Maynard, does that mean he's mentally weak?! And how do you know that Bisping didn't cry before his fight with Rivera? How do you know that Kongo isnt crying right now? A countdown show does not show you every second of their life!!

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

Pat barry lacks conditioning. The ability to finish fights. Fight IQ. He had beltrans leg hurt midways in round 1. His coach told him to go for the leg. Do you think barry did this? off course not. He is either deaf, dumb, or lacks something that i cant describe with words. Something he also lacks is a team that encourage him to improve on his weak areas i suggest. If you train wrestling or bjj, considering beeing a ufc fighter. Shouldnt you be vastly improve just over three months? A year? wholy moly, you should be insanely good by then. If a professional athlete trains a year, it is the equivalent of average joes two or maybe three years. But barry remains a mediocre one dimensional striker . what a shame.

cheeese
    cheeese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

I have a recurring nightmare of Barry starting fast with leg kicks and Kongo going into a shell. In reality, he probably monster's Barry after the first kick.

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

I still can't get over the fact that cain couldn't finish kongo. Add to the fact that barry hasn't finished anyone since 2007, I really like Kongo to take a decision here.

capone1899
    capone1899's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 122

I really like Kongo in this fight just hope he doesnt do something dumb like he did in the Browne fight

Johan_Haas_
    Johan_Haas_'s Avatar Become A Pro!

I have confidence that Kongo will take this, I have $1000 on him
    I really do hope he doesn't get disqualified though.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

i trust the solid cappers on here(particularly when i agree with them)...and most seem to like kongo quite a bit....as do i....

not a huge kongo fan...but i`ve really soured on barry...i have kongo as the kicker (with florian) in a good sized par....and looking for more as the odds are dropping...

i noticed that the tapology crew favors barry.....lot of barry love out there...which,imo,is a good thing

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    i trust the solid cappers on here(particularly when i agree with them)...and most seem to like kongo quite a bit....as do i....

not a huge kongo fan...but i`ve really soured on barry...i have kongo as the kicker (with florian) in a good sized par....and looking for more as the odds are dropping...

i noticed that the tapology crew favors barry.....lot of barry love out there...which,imo,is a good thing
    Yeah u'd think the Kongo line would only improve when you see polls on sites like Tapology and Junkie favouring Barry. 82% of voters on Tapology predicted C.Miller would beat Wiman, 69% picked Struve over Browne, 91% picked GSot over Siver!!! And currently 79% are picking Siver over Wiman so according the them Siver's gone from having next to no chance of beating GSot to beating Wiman 8 times out of 10!!!

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is one of the most insanely stupid things I've ever read on SBR. Worse than any troll job.

Rivera cried on the countdown show because he was talking about the death of his daughter. That had absolutely nothing to do with him losing to Bisping. He lost to Bisping because he's a vastly inferior fighter.