I.R.B
    I.R.B's Avatar Become A Pro!

UFC 94 Jan.31st.2009!

Welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre will defend his belt against lightweight titleholder B.J. Penn in what has already become the most anticipated bout of 2009 at UFC 94 on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.

Penn will be a Underdog and i will unload on Penn to win this fight...

MMAJOE
    MMAJOE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 86

so far the is the unofficial card, they will be adding more fights in the next month, I was really hoping Rampage vs Axe Murderer 3 would be on this card

• Welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre vs. lightweight champ B.J. Penn (for welterweight title)
    • Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva
    • Karo Parisyan vs. TBA
    • Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones
    • Jake O'Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
    • Manny Gamburyan vs. TBA
    • Matt Arroyo vs. Dan Cramer

I.R.B

The 2 mains are worth $100 if you ask me.. This is a must watch.. I was hoping to go to Vegas to catch it but not looking so good as of now..

Bread
    Living corpse
    Bread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Wow....this will be fun.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by I.R.B View Post
    Welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre will defend his belt against lightweight titleholder B.J. Penn in what has already become the most anticipated bout of 2009 at UFC 94 on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.

Penn will be a Underdog and i will unload on Penn to win this fight...

already been there done that ufc 58 had a dime on bj he won the first round then gassed this time i take Georges... Georges seems to have improved everywhere bj not so much. whats to say BJ doesnt gas again with the extra 15 pounds at 170??

I.R.B

I live a mile away from him, Penn is taking this fight as serious as he can.. Trained at his gym for years, Never seen him so focused.. he will be at 165lbs and in shape.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

not excited for that fight. I dont like fights where people are just given re matches because they are good fighters as well.

penn lost to GSP. Gsp beat him and Penn only wants to fight him again to avenge his loss, not to become WW champ. I am not excited about this fight. GSP should fight Alves.

If there was no clear cut number 1 contedner for either guy, id be for it. But Alves shouldnt be pushed back becasuse Penn still thinks he can be a force at WW.

I.R.B

Well bud you have a few months to get pumped about it, cause it is going to happen

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

[QUOTE=I Penn will be a Underdog and i will unload on Penn to win this fight...

[/QUOTE]

Well then get ready to unload your cash to the bookie, the reason Penn isn't at 170 is because he lost back to back vs GSP and Hughes. Now he goes to 155 and beats Pulver and Joe Stevenson, and thinks he can take out GSP. NEGATIVE!

MMAJOE
    MMAJOE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 86

Quote Originally Posted by shady610 View Post

penn lost to GSP. Gsp beat him and Penn only wants to fight him again to avenge his loss, not to become WW champ. I am not excited about this fight. GSP should fight Alves.
    Alves definataly will get his chance at the WW title early next year,Bj Penn lost a split decision a few years ago. He dominated rnd 1 looked ok in in rnd 2 gassed in rnd 3. I saw penn winning bye more damage 29-28 or a draw. Penn will be in shape he is alot more focused in his career.Both GSP and Penn are in better shape and much improved fighters, totally different fighters today.After Penn vs GSP fight Penn went to his after party in Las Vegas while GSP was rushed to the hospital.

Alves has a chance to beat GSP and Penn, I amazed that Hughes and Koshcheck and Karo could not take Alves down.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

Quote Originally Posted by MMAJOE View Post
    Alves definataly will get his chance at the WW title early next year,Bj Penn lost a split decision a few years ago. He dominated rnd 1 looked ok in in rnd 2 gassed in rnd 3. I saw penn winning bye more damage 29-28 or a draw. Penn will be in shape he is alot more focused in his career.Both GSP and Penn are in better shape and much improved fighters, totally different fighters today.After Penn vs GSP fight Penn went to his after party in Las Vegas while GSP was rushed to the hospital.

Alves has a chance to beat GSP and Penn, I amazed that Hughes and Koshcheck and Karo could not take Alves down.
    penn didnt dominate. he won round 1 and then lost rounds 2 and 3. and the whole he partyd when GSP went to the hospital is a dumb point. Michael Jordan went to the hospital with the Flu right after he buried the Jazz in the finals.

Also, Alves could be tough, but GSP should be able to take him down. After all, he dominated the man who beat alves.

THE_LOCKSMITH

Quote Originally Posted by shady610 View Post
    penn didnt dominate. he won round 1 and then lost rounds 2 and 3. and the whole he partyd when GSP went to the hospital is a dumb point. Michael Jordan went to the hospital with the Flu right after he buried the Jazz in the finals.

Also, Alves could be tough, but GSP should be able to take him down. After all, he dominated the man who beat alves.
    Eactly, after illegally poking GSP in the eye and catching the tip of his nose and breaking it, GSP still went out and won the 2nd and 3rd rounds with one eye and not being able to breath through his nose. GSP will take this one. He'll take him down early and often to tire him out, then who know what he'll do iun the later rounds.

I.R.B

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    Well then get ready to unload your cash to the bookie, the reason Penn isn't at 170 is because he lost back to back vs GSP and Hughes. Now he goes to 155 and beats Pulver and Joe Stevenson, and thinks he can take out GSP. NEGATIVE!

Penn moved down to LW cause he was offerd a chance to avenge his lost to Pulver, After he won Dana begged Penn to stay down at LW because the LW Div needed a face to propel them and Who better then Penn? He is not fighting at LW because he lost to GSP & Hughes i no for a fact that Penn wants nothing more then to fight at WW.. you need to get ahold of your self bud.
    Last edited by I.R.B; 11-01-08 at 05:20 PM.

THE_LOCKSMITH

Quote Originally Posted by I.R.B View Post
    Penn moved down to LW cause he was offerd a chance to avenge his lost to Pulver, After he won Dana begged Penn to stay down at LW because the LW Div needed a face to propel them and Who better then Penn? He is not fighting at LW because he lost to GSP & Hughes i no for a fact that Penn wants nothing more then to fight at WW.. you need to get ahold of your self bud.
    who cares that he wants to fight at WW. He comes back to the UFC after beating Daune Ludwig and a couple over rated gracie's. !st match back loses to GSP, then for some reason gets a title shot at Hughes in which he loses for the 2nd time in a row. That put him in the same spot as Sherk, a guy who can't get by GSP or hughes so he had to fight at lightweight if he wanted a belt. Then he beats Pulver and Stevenson at 155 and thinks he's again worthy of a title shot at 170. This guy ain't got a win over a rated 170 pound fighter since his 1st fight vs Hughes in Jan 2004 (almost 5 years) A guy like Alves has fought guys like Fitch, Lytle, Paryisan, Hughes, Koscheck all quality 170 lbs, and Penn gets another shot beore Alves without even a fight vs a top 170 lbs in years

vassman86
    vassman86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    I think BJ's drop to 155 did good. He won all of those 155 fights outright; those wins must give him a lot of confidence, and you guys know how important confidence is in MMA. Tough call for this fight, BJ has wicked stand-up. I'd like to see the lines before deciding

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why risk on Penn ... GSP is as good or better than BJ in all areas. If this was a sport BJJ match sure i take BJ but its not... I think GSP has a legit chance at a stoppage. sure would be nice to get GSP around -115 almost as nice as getting Randy at +100.
    Last edited by teaserpleaser; 11-02-08 at 08:11 PM.

TheGovernor11
    TheGovernor11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 215

Just to play Devil's Advocate here and because everyone thinks that GSP is gonna walk through BJ... how exactly do you him accomplishing this? BJ's knock has always been that he comes into fights out of shape and gasses after a round or two. He's shown true dedication to his cardio in his last three fights and to think that that would change for the biggest fight of his career is ludicrous. I can't remember exactly who said what but I'll do my best without going back:

1. GSP is going to take down BJ and tire him out... BJ has one of the best takedown defenses in the world due to his natural athleticism and flexibility. All the while that GSP is going for the TD, he's gonna be getting jacked in the face. Once it's hits the ground, BJ's BJJ is light-years ahead of GSP's and will neutralize GSP's wrestling.

2. Alves shouldn't get bumped because of who he has faced...If you look at it from one point, yeah, he crushed karo and matt Hughes and dominated Koscheck. The othe way to look at it, he crushed Karo, won by cut against Lytle, couldn't make weight against Hughes, and fought Koscheck who had three weeks notice. Now, I completely agree that he wouldn't torn threw all three of the guys if he did make weight and if Koscheck had a full camp, but I'm just saying you can spin shiit to make it sound great or awful for everyone. This pertains to who BJ has fought.

3. Sherk didn't move down to 155 because it was his only chance for a belt, he moved down because the guy's a smurf who was fighting at 170 because there was no 155 class. Even with being smaller than everyone else, he only was dominated once, to GSP. Everyone else, he either beat or held his own.

Why would people want to see this fight? Because GSP has DOMINATED every person he's fought except BJ Penn. If he ever lost to you, he came back and just shat all over you. Can he do the same against BJ? We'll find out but my money is on GSP by decision. His athleticism, speed, and length give him the advantage on the feet that Sherk didn't have (was too damn small to land a punch) and in the end, his cardio will reign supreme. No matter how in shape BJ is for this fight, GSP’s cardio is on the levels of Sherk, vintage Frank Shamrock, and vintage Tito Ortiz.

As for Alves, he's all but locked to get his title fight unless he does something stupid like avenge his loss to Jon Fitch. A fight like this would be pointless for Alves because he has nothing to gain and everything to lose. If he waits patiently on the side, the best case scenario could be for BJ to beat GSP and then Alves fight BJ. This is probably the only way that Alves will fight both GSP and BJ. If GSP wins, he fights Alves and Bj goes back to 155. If BJ wins and then beats Alves, Alves fights GSP for rematch against BJ. If Alves beats BJ, then GSP jumps BJ and fights Alves for the title.

THE_LOCKSMITH

I don't think many feel GSP will walk throught Penn, If GSP dosn't come strong Penn definatly has the ability to stop him. Like i said before my only problem with Penn is him getting this shot without facing any top rated 170 lbs first. These are his fights since coming back to the UFC

GSP (loss)
    Hughes WW title (loss)
    Pulver (win)
    Stevenson LW title (win)
    Sherk LW title (win)
    GSP WW title (???)

Most guys have to string several wins together before getting title shots, but Penn got one after a loss to GSP, he got Hughes. then one LW win over Pulver and he gets a LW title shot vs Steveson. Now with a record of 3-2 in his last 5 fights he gets his 3rd shot at a belt.

TheGovernor11
    TheGovernor11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 215

My only answer is that the UFC puts BJ in the same upper echelon as they do Randy. Randy got KO'd twice for the LHW belt and was 2-3 at 205 in his previous five fights. He then leaves for a year and when he comes back, is now fighting for the HW belt.

I agree with you that BJ should have to do a little more to earn his title shot but this fight right now makes sense (money wise at least). There was no way that Dana was going to wait for one of them to get upset and just lose all the hype and money that this fight should get.

turbozed
    turbozed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

BJ is popular and puts asses in seats and creates PPV buys. Therefore, he's on a different track than the ordinary system of meritocracy. Randy (as mentioned earlier) and Bisping are the same way.