Camdemonium
    Camdemonium's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rumble vs. Nate the Great

Does anyone else think that Rumble at +145 is a good bet? I think he probably just destroys Nate by taking him down over, and over, and over, and over.

I would think that Nate would be like +145.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Nate has good takedown defense.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Rumble Johnson will not have a size advantage like most of his fights. Nate will be more difficult to throw around.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

If Rumble does look for takedowns he is gonna have to be weary of Marquardt's guillotine which he likes to use (he tried it against Okami and almost choked out Sonnen with it). Bare in mind that Rumble is still relatively raw on the ground and nobody he has beaten has the experience and ground skills that Marquardt possesses. Although Marquardt is over-rated, he is still on another level to likes of Fioravanti, Speer, Yoshida, Burns and Hardy. Moreover, Rumble isn't going to have his usual size advantage that he's enjoyed in previous fights, Marquardt was a huge MW and I still don't get how he is gonna make WW. But if he does manage to do it without passing out then I think Rumble is gonna have a tough night ahead of him and the Rumble at +145 odds are correct.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    If Rumble does look for takedowns he is gonna have to be weary of Marquardt's guillotine which he likes to use (he tried it against Okami and almost choked out Sonnen with it). Bare in mind that Rumble is still relatively raw on the ground and nobody he has beaten has the experience and ground skills that Marquardt possesses. Although Marquardt is over-rated, he is still on another level to likes of Fioravanti, Speer, Yoshida, Burns and Hardy. Moreover, Rumble isn't going to have his usual size advantage that he's enjoyed in previous fights, Marquardt was a huge MW and I still don't get how he is gonna make WW. But if he does manage to do it without passing out then I think Rumble is gonna have a tough night ahead of him and the Rumble at +145 odds are correct.
    Thought the same thing regarding the weight! He would have been one of the last I'd figure to move from MW to WW. Nate's cut may be a big factor to look for as weighin news comes in.

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

rumble +145

cheeese
    cheeese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

There's no title implications so Nate shouldn't choke.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by cheeese View Post

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeese View Post
    Wouldn't be so sure of tht, if Marquardt wins I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes number 1 contender.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

-170 on Marquardt is a gift. People are confusing getting dominated by the wrestling of Sonnen and Johnson's control over Hardy. Marquardt has very good wrestling. The only reason to bet against him here is the weight cut. He beats Johnson everywhere.

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

haha

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Got Marquardt at -150 on Sportingbet

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

how about that pierce/hendricks line move at 5 dimes?......went from +/- 105 to -155.......

lotta pierce love out there...

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Johnson gets put on his back, the fight is probably over. Do you need any other reason to bet on Marquardt?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    how about that pierce/hendricks line move at 5 dimes?......went from +/- 105 to -155.......

lotta pierce love out there...
    All based on the Story fight I guess - that's why I took Pierce at +115 and +110

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Yeah and "taking him down over and over and over" seem unlikely to me. If he does somehow avoid gettin subbed he will just get punished like Sonnen did...Sonnen came out of that fight barely able to stand, he was exhausted and battered. Rumble doesn't have that level of stamina or physical/mental endurance IMO. If not for the weight cut I'd be puttin a lot more than 10 units on Nate at -150.

Ladle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Yeah and "taking him down over and over and over" seem unlikely to me. If he does somehow avoid gettin subbed he will just get punished like Sonnen did...Sonnen came out of that fight barely able to stand, he was exhausted and battered. Rumble doesn't have that level of stamina or physical/mental endurance IMO. If not for the weight cut I'd be puttin a lot more than 10 units on Nate at -150.
    Yeah. Not only has his bottom game looked dreadful, but he also doesn't deal well with getting hit. Just look at how rattled he was after taking a few elbows from Koscheck on the ground in their fight.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Marquardt is huge. He is a big MW. This is his first cut to WW. Johnson is an easy bet at +155.

Ladle

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladarus View Post
    Marquardt is huge. He is a big MW. This is his first cut to WW. Johnson is an easy bet at +155.
    Yeah, if we totally neglect the fact that Marquardt will tap him without incident the moment he gets on top...

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladle View Post
    Yeah, if we totally neglect the fact that Marquardt will tap him without incident the moment he gets on top...
    I got no problem neglecting Marquardt's wrestling when he's proven he never uses it offensively. Johnson's got decent takedown defense. He also has a pretty good chin and shouldn't have much of a problem not getting KOd by a slow motion moving Marquardt that has less power. We can talk about Johnson's ground game, but it's much more likely he will be the one going for the takedowns and Marquardt's ground game isn't really that spectacular.

Ladle

I got no problem neglecting Marquardt's wrestling when he's proven he never uses it offensively. Johnson's got decent takedown defense. He also has a pretty good chin and shouldn't have much of a problem not getting KOd by a slow motion moving Marquardt that has less power. We can talk about Johnson's ground game, but it's much more likely he will be the one going for the takedowns and Marquardt's ground game isn't really that spectacular.
    Marquardt's ground game doesn't need to be remotely spectacular to submit Johnson. Johnson showed zero guard instincts when he fought Clementi in 2007, and hadn't improved a scintilla in that regard when he took on Koscheck two years later.

Also, we need to keep in mind that there's a flip-side to Johnson's size and strength; look closely at his stance during any one of his fights and you'll see what he loses by being 6'2" and having a 78" wingspan. It sounds specious, but his legs are so long - and always so close to his opponent - that it makes him extremely, extremely susceptible to single leg takedowns. Luigi Fiorvanti got single leg position on him by simply bending over and grabbing. Marquardt's offensive wrestling is more than good enough to exploit that, and given he's a Greg Jackson fighter, I fully expect him to attempt to fight Johnson where he's weakest.

He also has a pretty good chin and shouldn't have much of a problem not getting KOd by a slow motion moving Marquardt that has less power.
    This just isn't good analysis. For all of his offensive capabilities, Johnson seems to freak out when people throw punches at him. He doesn't deal well with getting hit, or even the thought of getting hit. Both fights he had against Kevin Burns illustrate this: Johnson took Burns down repeatedly, despite the fact that he was easily out-landing - and subsequently hurting - Burns in the stand-up. He was essentially resorting to takedowns just because Burns came charging at him, windmilling insane punches. Similarly, Johnson looked really out of sorts when Koscheck landed punches on him in their fight, even though Johnson was the cleaner striker and had staggered Koscheck with shots repeatedly.

The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Anthony Johnson is out, Rick Story in.

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

yaaa another winnable fight for story! hope he comes out as the dog

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

A lot of people tend to think..."god marquart is sooo big! why is he cutting to 170?""
    if you actually look at it.. marquart is not that big at all. Sonnen dwarfed, and so did Silva and Okami. I always thought Marquart packed too much muscle onto his frame. He's fought as low as 155: although that was 10 yrs ago, his frame didnt get any bigger. He looked slim at that weight, but definitely not scrawny.
    170 should be perfect for him.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Convenient injury IMO!!

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

It's possible that Nate's weight cut could effect his cardio. Depending on how he cuts weight.

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

Yesss baby. Rick story is def going to breake marquarts will. Nate hate wrestlers with stamina. I think the play will be, rick story straight, arbed with great submission. The great does not get the KO or the decision in this fight.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

short turnaround for Story

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

i'd rather see marquardt v. alves,

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Varker View Post
    i'd rather see marquardt v. alves,
    marquardt would kill that "knockout artist".