sportsfanatic
    Update your status
    sportsfanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

who do you think would benefit from dropping weight class?

brian stann is looking really good at middleweight from lhw and the same with munoz. who else do you think would benefit from a drop in weight class?

i think after belfort KOs akiyama, which he will, akiyama should seriously consider a weight class drop, cause he has to be the smallest "middleweight" in the division.

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

You're spot on with Akiyama. There was a picture of him next to Dong Hyun Kim, and he looked like a morsel from Kim's noodle bowl. 170 is definitely the place for Sexyama.

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Your mom

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Nelson

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Clay Guida should drop down if he loses to Pettis.

koscheckbaby
    Briscoe and Logan Baby!!!
    koscheckbaby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 550

Always thought Rashad was supposed to be fighting at 185. I know it sounds weird to say, since he started at HW and had success at LHW. But he always appears to have a little extra weight on him. His top control isn't really anything special in MMA either and his cardio can be suspect at times. Perhaps if he got down to 185 utilizing more cardio, he could keep guys down better and have a nice strength advantage. He wrestled in college at the same weight that Koscheck did.

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Ive always wanted to see Fedor at 205.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

50% of HWs out there. Nelson, Fedor, Kongo, CroCop, Pat Barry, Joey Beltran, Kimbo Slice and I'm sure there are a lot more guys. Also GSP needs to gain 15 pounds.

thesox0311
    thesox0311's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

did you just say kimbo slice or is my computer broken?

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I had to bring up Kimbo just because it was ridiculous that he was fighting at HW for like 15lbs. I understand getting on TUF at a higher weight class but come on cut 15lbs you're a professional.

Jordan23
    Jordan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladarus View Post
    50% of HWs out there. Nelson, Fedor, Kongo, CroCop, Pat Barry, Joey Beltran, Kimbo Slice and I'm sure there are a lot more guys. Also GSP needs to gain 15 pounds.
    Stopped reading at Kimbo

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

Is it best to bet against fighters who struggled to cut weight?

Shane Carwin for example cut weight which effected his cardio.

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladarus View Post
    It doesn't always make sense for the lighter heavyweights to cut weight because heavyweight has the least skilled fighters overall and is the most shallow division. The smaller heavyweights also enjoy other advantages much of the time over their heavier counterparts. One of the reasons Fedor went unbeaten for so long is because of the speed, skill and athletic advantages he had at heavyweight, advantages would not have been so prominent if he was fighting the best at 205. Things are a bit different now because the current upper division heavyweights are more well rounded and Fedor is slowing down.

I honestly can't imagine Kongo at 205, even though he only weighs in around 230lbs he has very little body fat and looks like he just walked off of the set of the Spartacus TV series. Even if he could make 205, he would probably get wrestle fuked like he did vs Cain much of the time.

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bogbat View Post
    It doesn't always make sense for the lighter heavyweights to cut weight because heavyweight has the least skilled fighters overall and is the most shallow division. The smaller heavyweights also enjoy other advantages much of the time over their heavier counterparts. One of the reasons Fedor went unbeaten for so long is because of the speed, skill and athletic advantages he had at heavyweight, advantages would not have been so prominent if he was fighting the best at 205. Things are a bit different now because the current upper division heavyweights are more well rounded and Fedor is slowing down.
    Yup. You see a lot of decent heavyweights cut down to 205 and blow it. A guy like Brandon Vera would've never been UFC champ at heavyweight, but he's skilled enough to take out mid-level guys. Likewise, someone like Travis Wiuff was more athletic and skilled that ho-hum heavyweights, but mid-level guys at 205 were just too much for him. I don't think people really appreciate how wide the gulf in skill between your average heavyweight and your average light heavyweight is.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Yeah the standard of wrestling is different between LHW and HW.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

agreed. heavyweight is a weak division because of how few people have the bone structure to get to that weight.

back wehn i used to wrestle, our heavyweight guy (260) went all the way to state and placed 5th. he was pretty unspectacular but because half of the time, the other teams didnt even have a heavyweight and other half of the time, the heavyweights were just fat lards, and he because he was relatively fit/athletic (ended up playing football in college): he coasted.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

i like the idea of rashad at 185 too. i think he would dominate.

though i guess with only 1 loss at LHW, theres not much of a reason to.

freelee
    Update your status
    freelee's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 478

Anderson needs to move up to 205 especially if GSP won't fight him at middleweight

Nick The Greek
    Nick The Greek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

I think Anthony Johnson could benefit from going up to 185. As far as dropping down, it's hard to knock him since he's currently the champ but even Frankie Edgar himself has said that he's best suited for 145.