diondublin
    diondublin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Wrestlers do better?

There is a systemology that proposes that wrestlers do better in MMA.

Can this be filtered further, and how best to define 'wrestler' for profit?

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

well currently takedowns are overrated by the current system so this may work until the judging gets tweaked

Vrakas
    Vrakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8912

It's simple really there are first time slammers and then there are wrestlers.

Vrakas

How you best define wrestlers for profit is easy. Do you have someone who is good at takedowns? If yes they are likely a wrestler. Usually they tend to have backgrounds in highschool / college wrestling but this is not always the case.

Pin2Win
    Pin2Win's Avatar Become A Pro!

Takedowns, ground control, balance, it all helps

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wrestling+Submission Defense=Win

Preston09
    You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?
    Preston09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Wrestlers easly can control the fight against non wrestlers. Granted the fight will be super boring 90% of the time.

diondublin
    diondublin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Quote Originally Posted by Preston09 View Post
    Wrestlers easly can control the fight against non wrestlers. Granted the fight will be super boring 90% of the time.
    Two questions though:

(1) How does one determine -systemically - that there is a Wrestler vs Non-Wrestler matchup?

(2) How does one establish whether the market has accounted for this bias; i.e. is there value on the Wrestler?

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Quote Originally Posted by diondublin View Post

Two questions though:

(1) How does one determine -systemically - that there is a Wrestler vs Non-Wrestler matchup?

(2) How does one establish whether the market has accounted for this bias; i.e. is there value on the Wrestler?
    Good questions

Vrakas

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
    Good questions
    got em!

Chairib

Quote Originally Posted by Vrakas View Post

got em!
    Seriously, those are great questions.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

one of the most important things to know is that correlation doesnt mean causation.

one possible explanation for the success of wrestling is that the sport of wrestling already weeds out the weak. the unathletic and the unfit will never make it in the upper echleon of collegiate wrestling and beyond.

for example, a guy like ben askren who has had success in mma, that success might not be totally attributed to wrestling but to his talent. if he had devoted his time to jits or striking it's possible he would have been equally successful.

its just that striking and jiu jitsu dont havent developed like wrestling where you ahve high school and college programs attracting millions of kids from a young age. those who become successful and end up in the ufc are the most successful of those MILLIONS.

a great jits champ has proven himself among 100 others. a wrestling champ is the best of 10000 wrestlers.

Chairib

Quote Originally Posted by jin2daj View Post
    one of the most important things to know is that correlation doesnt mean causation.

one possible explanation for the success of wrestling is that the sport of wrestling already weeds out the weak. the unathletic and the unfit will never make it in the upper echleon of collegiate wrestling and beyond.

for example, a guy like ben askren who has had success in mma, that success might not be totally attributed to wrestling but to his talent. if he had devoted his time to jits or striking it's possible he would have been equally successful.

its just that striking and jiu jitsu dont havent developed like wrestling where you ahve high school and college programs attracting millions of kids from a young age. those who become successful and end up in the ufc are the most successful of those MILLIONS.

a great jits champ has proven himself among 100 others. a wrestling champ is the best of 10000 wrestlers.
    Correlation doesnt mean causation? I'm going to start calling you Kaplan or Testmasters from now on, let's see you work in a Strawman argument or even an Appeal To Authority.

You make some good points but I definitely would avoid using Ben Askren here.

bondguy007
    bondguy007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 46

It's as simple as this: WWE wrestlers are on the road doing athletic manuevers 300 days a year. UFC guys? They're lucky if they're on the road 30 days a year.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Chairib

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by bondguy007 View Post
    It's as simple as this: WWE wrestlers are on the road doing athletic manuevers 300 days a year. UFC guys? They're lucky if they're on the road 30 days a year.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

Quote Originally Posted by bondguy007 View Post

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

I ussualy do well with dogs that have a good wrestling base.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    I ussualy do well with dogs that have a good wrestling base.
    Chance u might get one in Chandler next wknd against Freire

RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

the man who dictates where the fight takes place!

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
    Correlation doesnt mean causation? I'm going to start calling you Kaplan or Testmasters from now on, let's see you work in a Strawman argument or even an Appeal To Authority.

You make some good points but I definitely would avoid using Ben Askren here.

haha you took the LSAT?
    I actually learned causation/correlation in a college econ class