xelance
    xelance's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Randy Couture to retire after fight with Machida

TORONTO

Mixed martial arts legend Randy Couture will retire from active competition after his bout with Lyoto Machida at UFC 129, Sky Sports reported Wednesday.

The 47-year-old, who made his mixed martial arts debut in 1997, will fight for the last time in front of 55,000 fans at the Rogers Centre in Toronto on April 30.
    Couture is a three-time heavyweight champion in UFC and has also held the light-heavyweight title twice.
    He has faced off against some of the biggest names in MMA history, including Chuck Liddell (three times), Vitor Belfort (three times), Tito Ortiz, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Brock Lesnar, Mark Coleman and Pedro Rizzo (twice).
    "I want to go out on my terms and decide when enough is enough," he said Tuesday.
    "I've had a great camp, everything is spot on, I can't wait until next week," he went on. " It's a fight I've been looking forward to for a long time, and it's finally going to happen. But it's time to focus on the other things I've got going on in my life after this fight."
    Couture feels that he is still able to compete at the very top level and has stated that his advancing years had nothing to do with his decision to quit the sport.

"That was one of the things that I struggled with because I am as healthy as ever," Couture said.
    "The Natural" retired once before -- in 2006 -- but came back to regain the heavyweight title and is currently on a run of three consecutive victories.
    He is determined to go out on a high by extending that run to four in defeating former light-heavyweight champion Machida. Overall, Couture has won five titles in the heavyweight and light heavyweight divisions.
    Couture was a three-time wrestling All-American at Oklahoma State University, and has a career record of 19-10. Out of his 29 career fights, 15 have come with a belt on the line.

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/stor...011/?GT1=39002

not a huge surprise here, best of luck to Randy after his retirement. I am sure there is a place for him in UFC management.

RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

i have a feeling he will lose to the dragon next week then have 1 last fight where he wins

Kav
    Kav's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 450

geez finally, but for how long...

NickBaragona
    NickBaragona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

I wonder if my Topps 1/1 card of his will go up in value once he retires...

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

machida will clown him... i have a little money on randy though because i think theres a little value there.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jin2daj View Post
    machida will clown him... i have a little money on randy though because i think theres a little value there.
    couture has never been "clowned"

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post
    He got clowned by Liddell in their second fight. Chuck dispatched of him with relative ease in the rubber match, too.

ufcmma36
    ufcmma36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 787

Quote Originally Posted by NickBaragona View Post
    I wonder if my Topps 1/1 card of his will go up in value once he retires...
    I got a razor rob 1/1 but not half as good as that

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Quote Originally Posted by Ladle View Post
    He got clowned by Liddell in their second fight. Chuck dispatched of him with relative ease in the rubber match, too.
    are you serious?

Ladle

are you serious?
    Are you serious? If getting savagely knocked out in two minutes doesn't constitute getting clowned, then I don't know what does.

Also, I wouldn't recommend disagreeing with me regarding semantics. It won't end well for you.

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

a bad ass English major--awesome,awesome

Landscaper
    Banned
    Landscaper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Are you serious? If getting savagely knocked out in two minutes doesn't constitute getting clowned, then I don't know what does.

Also, I wouldn't recommend disagreeing with me regarding semantics. It won't end well for you.

Ladle

Quote Originally Posted by stefan084 View Post
    a bad ass English major--awesome,awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Landscaper View Post

FEAR ME.

jin2daj

im glad to see randy retire. dont want to see him go out like chuck.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Getting ko'd by a stiker in a fight is not getting clowned. Was overeem clowned when badr hari tko'd him? No because strikers ko other fighters in fights all the damn time, and since Couture has a win over Liddell I don't think anyone ever got clowned in any of their fights. Now you against couture would be a clowning. But two top level fighters fighting and one getting ko'd isnt a clowning.

end well for me? semantics? the f u c k are you talking about? Its the internet brah chill the f u c k out. troll someone else asshole.
    Last edited by sideloaded; 04-21-11 at 07:54 PM.

imadegen
    imadegen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9093

i don't think he'll go out like chuck or mirko. It would be a shame if he retired on that toney fight. I think this fight actually goes all 3 rounds, but machida winning by decision...

jin2daj

so? ive never been beaten in an mma match eitehr (never had one).

Ladle

Getting ko'd by a stiker in a fight is not getting clowned. Was overeem clowned when badr hari tko'd him? No because strikers ko other fighters in fights all the damn time, and since Couture has a win over Liddell I don't think anyone ever got clowned in any of their fights. Now you against couture would be a clowning. But two top level fighters fighting and one getting ko'd isnt a clowning.
    You're stupid and your "justification" is preposterous. Few fighters get obliterated by their opponents within two minutes. Liddell had clearly adapted his style and it was only a matter of time before Couture hit the deck (a fact which was reinforced by their rubber match a year later).

"Clowned" is a synonym for destroyed. Clearly you're a blinkered Couture nuthugger, but whether you like it or not, it's common knowledge that Randy got destroyed in the rematch. The happenings of their first fight are irrelevant in a discussion which only pertains to the rematch, but in light of the fact that he soundly out-boxed Chuck two years earlier, it could be argued that the loss was made even more embarrassing for Couture.

end well for me? semantics? the f u c k are you talking about? Its the internet brah chill the f u c k out. troll someone else asshole.
    Semantics is the study of meaning, dummy. Disagreeing with me over semantics (in this instance, the meaning of the term "clowned") won't end well for you because semantics happens to be one of my areas of expertise. It was a joke, and you took it as a serious threat. Now everyone thinks you're a dribbling idiot. Congrats.

Its the internet brah chill the f u c k out. troll someone else asshole.
    Troll? Brah? I've contributed more to the MMA part of this forum in a hundred posts than you have in a thousand, mon frère. Just ask any of the knowledgeable members here.
    Last edited by Ladle; 04-22-11 at 06:02 AM.

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Randy can take a beating, seen it before... even at his age... it will be interesting if he can get machida clinched up but i highly doubt that will happen

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

I think Machida will KO him at some stage during the fight.

Couture wants to retire so he can help set up a union for the fighters.

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

Couture hasn't looked good lately. toney win doesn't count and the vera win was somewhat controversial.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Naturally the natural will retire after this.

bigjah15
    bigjah15's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

randy will win..got a good feeling. randy will take him down and pound his face in

Pabinator
    Pabinator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 74

No way he can hold down Machida to be able to pound him

Vrakas
    Vrakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8912

It's going to be a little too natural for the dragon

Pin2Win
    Pin2Win's Avatar Become A Pro!

Machida isn't a ground guy... Couture being in the game waaay longer and his wrestling background in the Olympics... I would hope that he he would be able to keep him on the ground for on his feet it should be interesting to watch, Machida has a chance if he keeps his distance but Couture is great in the clinch... I never bet against Couture