sportsfanatic
    Update your status
    sportsfanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

david and goliath fight - bj penn vs anthony johonson

condit might be injured. can't say the smallest welterweight like bj penn against the maybe the biggest welterweight is a fair fight. i would bet a couple of units on johnson if he's a dog.

sportsfanatic
    Update your status

although johnson is just one of the ww's names being thrown around as a potential bj match up.

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

not impressed w/ johnson at all but he would prob. be too big for bj--why not just fight closer to your actually weight I don't get why he needs to cut half his body weight to fight

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

where did you read this? if its true i see AJ taking it. Penn is too small for the large WW with good wrestling

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    where did you read this? if its true i see AJ taking it. Penn is too small for the large WW with good wrestling
    Now Anthony Johnson has good wrestling and BJ is too small? Yeah Johnson rode the clock on the way to a win against Hardy. BJ Penn isn't Hardy.

sportsfanatic
    Update your status

penn would get owned on the feet. the power, size, and reach is too much.

sportsfanatic
    Update your status

anthony johnson's got great stand up, don't be fooled by the hardy fight.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
    Now Anthony Johnson has good wrestling and BJ is too small? Yeah Johnson rode the clock on the way to a win against Hardy. BJ Penn isn't Hardy.
    lol, and if it comes down to ity he can ride the clock by taking down Penn. Is it really outrageous to think a guy the size of Johnson will be able to take Penn down, he was 2004 NJCAA national wrestling champion

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

It would be funny if AJ opened as the fav in this one... could happen though.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

The fight isnt even scheduled yet is it?!

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

No, so far I believe it's just rumors and possible opponents.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    It would be funny if AJ opened as the fav in this one... could happen though.

you expect penn to open as a fave here?....that would surprise me...

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    you expect penn to open as a fave here?....that would surprise me...
    Actually, yes I would expect Penn to open as a very slight fav. He's fought the tougher competition, has better boxing, BJJ, solid tdd, and working with Hughes has done good things for him. He's also only lost to champions. The X factor here is the size, which could neutralize things if AJ plays to his strengths and doesn't try to impress on his feet. But I don't see the fight going down like Brock/Mir II or anything.

I'd expect the line to open something like:

-125 Penn
    +105 AJ
    Last edited by sirchadwick1; 04-05-11 at 06:35 AM.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    Actually, yes I would expect Penn to open as a very slight fav. He's fought the tougher competition, has better boxing, BJJ, solid tdd, and working with Hughes has done good things for him. He's also only lost to champions. The X factor here is the size, which could neutralize things if AJ plays to his strengths and doesn't try to impress on his feet.

I'd expect the line to open something like:

-125 Penn
    +105 AJ

i would have probably reversed those numbers...we`ll see...interesting...

Camdemonium
    Camdemonium's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    i would have probably reversed those numbers...we`ll see...interesting...
    I tend to agree with this. It seems to me that although I have a lot of respect for BJ, he is quickly becoming irrelevant in MMA. Just my opinion. Probably the greatest lightweight of all time but MMA moves on. See Cro-Cop, Chuck, Tito, Minotauro, Fedor etc etc.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Camdemonium View Post
    I tend to agree with this. It seems to me that although I have a lot of respect for BJ, he is quickly becoming irrelevant in MMA. Just my opinion. Probably the greatest lightweight of all time but MMA moves on. See Cro-Cop, Chuck, Tito, Minotauro, Fedor etc etc.
    I'm far from a BJ fan at all... I think he's spoiled, whiney, and think that the competition is catching up to him quickly. But I have to disagree that he's becoming irrelevant. When you've only lost to champs, that's saying a lot. BJ challenges himself so I respect that. No way, no how should he be compared to Chuck/CC/Tito today. One is retired and the other are hanging by a thread. BJ will become irrelevant when he starts losing to guys like Matt Brown, Demarques Johnson, Riddle, etc.

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd definitely favour BJ if this fight happened. After the Fitch fight, Penn stated that he plans on using his offensive wrestling much more often from now on. If he can put Johnson on his back - and I absolutely believe that he can - it's game over. Johnson's bottom game hasn't improved a scintilla since he was choked out by Rich Clementi in 2007.

sportsfanatic
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Camdemonium View Post
    sadly i agree. bj is past his prime. by that, i mean i don't think he's going to be a champ again.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Quote Originally Posted by Ladle View Post
    I'd definitely favour BJ if this fight happened. After the Fitch fight, Penn stated that he plans on using his offensive wrestling much more often from now on. If he can put Johnson on his back - and I absolutely believe that he can - it's game over. Johnson's bottom game hasn't improved a scintilla since he was choked out by Rich Clementi in 2007.
    Is BJs offensive wrestling really that good, or did he get Fitch down because no one would have ever thought to gameplan against a BJ takedown. I don't think he gets Fitch down again in a rematch.

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Is BJs offensive wrestling really that good, or did he get Fitch down because no one would have ever thought to gameplan against a BJ takedown. I don't think he gets Fitch down again in a rematch.
    First and foremost, we're not talking about him fighting Jon Fitch. We're talking about him fighting Anthony Johnson, whose attributes are entirely different to Fitch's. You need to keep in mind that there's a flip-side to Johnson's size and strength; look closely at his stance during any one of his fights and you'll see what he loses by being 6'2" and having a 78" wingspan. It sounds specious, but his legs are so long - and always so close to his opponent - that it makes him extremely, extremely susceptible to single leg takedowns. Luigi Fiorvanti got single leg position on him by simply bending over and grabbing. So yes, I think it's likely that BJ can finish a single leg.

Secondly, I do believe that BJ's MMA wrestling is very good. In his Book Of Knowledge he speaks in-depth about how to execute takedowns, but more importantly, how to set them up effectively with punches. Indeed, BJ's success in taking down Jon Fitch wasn't a result of BJ being a technically acute wrestler; it was a result of BJ's ability to effectually combine his striking with his shots. That type of style is extremely conducive to success in MMA - look no further than current champion Dominick Cruz for affirmation of that fact.

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Rumble is bigger than Fedor. But BJ is so much better than him. I think Id lean BJ. Rumbles sub defense is non existant. Hardy sucks.

freelee
    Update your status
    freelee's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 478

i got Penn by sub if the fight happens

sportsfanatic
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    yeah. BJ surprised everyone. in interviews, fitch said he didn't train takedown defense much at all. that's why i was hoping for the rematch so i could bet heavy on fitch. can't fool him twice with BJ trying to wrestle.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic View Post
    yeah. BJ surprised everyone. in interviews, fitch said he didn't train takedown defense much at all. that's why i was hoping for the rematch so i could bet heavy on fitch. can't fool him twice with BJ trying to wrestle.
    thats true but its not like 3 months wihtout prep turned fitch's td defense to sh!t.

JoshB
    JoshB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

Sounds like a good fight. B.J has better TDD than Hardy, his subs are better and he is a better striker as well.

Remember that Johnson got chocked out by light weight Rich Clementi in late 07', it was awhile ago but imo if B.J takes his back like he did against Fitch he will win.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I really like BJ in this spot if this fight happens. I will be hitting the line hard if it's -200 or better.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by jin2daj View Post
    thats true but its not like 3 months wihtout prep turned fitch's td defense to sh!t.
    Could have been his change in diet as well. Fitch looked different out there against BJ until the 3rd.... unenergized and somewhat frail for lack of a better word.
    Last edited by sirchadwick1; 04-06-11 at 07:55 AM.

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

AJ won't be able to knock BJ out so if he decides to take the fight to the ground he will gets subbed.