ClevelandNextYr
    ClevelandNextYr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2119

First time bitcoin user

I bought $500 worth of bitcoin but its telling me I cant transfer to my wallet for 10 days. Nothing I have read in the tutorials on this site mention that. Am I doing something wrong? With the volatile market I'm worried such a small amount could lose its value in that amount of time . Any suggestions?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9208

Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandNextYr View Post
    I bought $500 worth of bitcoin but its telling me I cant transfer to my wallet for 10 days. Nothing I have read in the tutorials on this site mention that. Am I doing something wrong? With the volatile market I'm worried such a small amount could lose its value in that amount of time . Any suggestions?
    Is this at Coinbase?

If so, unfortunately it is real and recently they have been making everyone wait a long time to confirm deposits there. Some people they tell up to 17 days! And it does not clear until that 17th day.

Gemini.com provides a better service than Coinbase now.

Optional

Also, if you stick with Coinbase, next time do not purchase bitcoin and pay for them with an ACH.

Make an ACH deposit to your US$ wallet there and once cleared, buy your coins to deposit.

ClevelandNextYr
    ClevelandNextYr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2119

Yes its coinbase. I'm thinking this isn't worth it. May just sell them and deposit with a credit card.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandNextYr View Post
    Yes its coinbase. I'm thinking this isn't worth it. May just sell them and deposit with a credit card.
    It won't speed the release of the first $500.

And I am not 100% sure, but think Coinbase will hold your CC funds to clear as well right now. If they will even take your CC. Many dont work for buying crypto. Debit card is what is needed.

If I was you, I'd just wait for coinbase and if you want to retry now, go with gemini.com

They take 3-5 days to credit ACH deposits or overnight if you deposit by wire transfer (which will cost you $15-20 at your banks end)

Optional

But selling them will freeze your exposure to price changes, so I would do that part whilst you are waiting the 10 days.

Dr. Fager
    Update your status
    Dr. Fager's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7167

Just a note Optional regarding my experience with Coinbase. They accept ACH deposits from my bank but NOT a debit card deposit issued by the same bank. Each transaction attempt via debit card was rejected, and the card was sufficiently funded? Doesn't make sense but that's the case.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fager View Post
    Just a note Optional regarding my experience with Coinbase. They accept ACH deposits from my bank but NOT a debit card deposit issued by the same bank. Each transaction attempt via debit card was rejected, and the card was sufficiently funded? Doesn't make sense but that's the case.
    It seems confusing to work out exactly what they will or wont take these days. Some people have found deleting their funding source and then re-adding has fixed it.

But personally, I'd just go to Gemini for now if I was a Coinbase user.

spicy_goals
    spicy_goals's Avatar Become A Pro!

avoid coinbase at all costs, there are better sites available