leadpipe
    leadpipe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Bitcoin withdrawal question (newbie)

Last time I took a payout (1800$) via bitcoin from heritage to blockchain to bank account it cost me over 100$. Is this normal? Is there a cheaper route?
    I do reside in the US.
    Thanks in advance.

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

It's not outrageous, but not the cheapest (around 5.5% it looks like your fee was). You can go as cheap as .3% if you're willing to sell through Coinbase Pro, but requires ID verification and to link to a bank account. If you sell through Blockchain Wallet's 3rd party service it's around 2.5%. You can also sell through some ATMs, but their fees are double digits easy.

Long story short, the more privacy you want, the more it's going to cost you.
    Points Awarded:

Optional gave mrpapageorgio 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

leadpipe
    leadpipe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Thank you very much for the response

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

Quote Originally Posted by mrpapageorgio View Post
    Long story short, the more privacy you want, the more it's going to cost you.
    I think I'll have to steal that quote for future use ;-)

littlekona
    littlekona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5828

That is not the norm...you may of been caught in the resent down swing of btc which most likely caused....but if you want Best way to cash out it’s bitpay debit and or Gemini exchange...I you want to try to make a few bucks extra localbitcoins is also excellent

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

Quote Originally Posted by littlekona View Post
    That is not the norm...you may of been caught in the resent down swing of btc which most likely caused....but if you want Best way to cash out it’s bitpay debit and or Gemini exchange...I you want to try to make a few bucks extra localbitcoins is also excellent
    I forgot Bitcoin has been dipping lately, so it might have caused some of the "less than expected" payout. Bitpay is good if you're anticipating cashing out Bitcoin a lot, but if you're just a couple times a year (end of NFL season, etc), then it's not worth the $10 fee and you're better off with Gemini (or Coinbase).
    Localbitcoins is fine if you know what you're doing and are careful. I don't recommend it for newbies who just want to cash in and out quick. It's a bit of a wild west for Bitcoin transactions.