SCI
    SCI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5766

Electrum Wallet - missing $10 after send?

Just requested $300 worth of bitcoin from Electrum to Bitpay card. The transaction in Electrum history shows I sent around $310 worth of bitcoin. I'm not sure where that $10 went. Bitpay shows a fee of around $0.50 in the invoice transaction.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

Quote Originally Posted by SCI View Post
    Just requested $300 worth of bitcoin from Electrum to Bitpay card. The transaction in Electrum history shows I sent around $310 worth of bitcoin. I'm not sure where that $10 went. Bitpay shows a fee of around $0.50 in the invoice transaction.
    Has the price of bitcoin jumped between sending it and you looking at the history?

Could be just a current price estimate instead of what it was worth when sent?

Is the 50 cents Bitpay report their fee or the miners fee? Maybe you paid a $10 miners fee by accident?

SCI

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Has the price of bitcoin jumped between sending it and you looking at the history?

Could be just a current price estimate instead of what it was worth when sent?

Is the 50 cents Bitpay report their fee or the miners fee? Maybe you paid a $10 miners fee by accident?
    The transaction took about 10 minutes, The Bitcoin price hardly moved.

The Electrum fee said around $0.15 (4 sat/byte) and the Bitpay network fee was $0.30

The Bitpay invoice said 0.0262 BTC, but in the Electrum history it shows as 0.0272 (around $10 more).

I'm not sure why the transaction in Electrum was $10 more than what I received in Bitpay transaction. There is no fee that shows a $10 fee anywhere that I know of.

Optional

That sounds really weird to me too SCI.

If you are not using the latest version of Electrum I'd upgrade. Probably not an exploit but best to do that anyway.

I might pare your posts off into it's own thread and hopefully a bitcoin expert will notice and be able to help.

SCI

That sounds really weird to me too SCI.

If you are not using the latest version of Electrum I'd upgrade. Probably not an exploit but best to do that anyway.

I might pare your posts off into it's own thread and hopefully a bitcoin expert will notice and be able to help.
    Yeah, it is strange. The Bitpay invoice was for 0.0262 btc and I received that much, but Electrum deducted and shows sending 0.0272.

Electrum's fee shows 0.00001628 btc (around $0.15) and Bitpay's network fee shows $0.30.

Not sure what happened. All I did was copy and paste Bitpay's invoice string in the "send" page of Electrum.

I'm using the latest version 3.1.3

SCI

I just noticed in the details of the transaction that there was another output for 0.001 btc ($10) to a seperate address. Not sure how that got in there.

SCI

I figured it out. Since my Electrum account is set up using 2FA, I had to pay a 0.001 btc fee on my initial transaction for 20 prepaid transactions using the TrustedCoin 2FA.

I thought the 2FA was free to use, I guess not. I now have 19 prepaid transactions left.

Optional

Ah.

Glad to hear you worked it out.

SCI

Ah.

Glad to hear you worked it out.
    Thanks.

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

I figured it out. Since my Electrum account is set up using 2FA, I had to pay a 0.001 btc fee on my initial transaction for 20 prepaid transactions using the TrustedCoin 2FA.

I thought the 2FA was free to use, I guess not. I now have 19 prepaid transactions left.
    Looks like it was in the fine print (just that there'd be a fee, not the amount) when you set up the wallet using TrustedCoin's 2FA. http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/2fa.html

SCI

Quote Originally Posted by mrpapageorgio View Post
    Looks like it was in the fine print (just that there'd be a fee, not the amount) when you set up the wallet using TrustedCoin's 2FA. http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/2fa.html
    Yeah. I thought it would be a small fee on each transaction, not pay for 20 or 100 transactions upfront.

I think having the 2FA or multi sig wallet is worth it though.

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

Yeah. I thought it would be a small fee on each transaction, not pay for 20 or 100 transactions upfront.

I think having the 2FA or multi sig wallet is worth it though.
    I use a cold wallet (Ledger) and just manage it through Electrum. Still have to sign transactions physically using the Ledger so no need to worry about 2FA.

SCI

Quote Originally Posted by mrpapageorgio View Post
    I use a cold wallet (Ledger) and just manage it through Electrum. Still have to sign transactions physically using the Ledger so no need to worry about 2FA.

I have to pick one of those up. I'll just use 2FA in the meantime.

I like how Electrum has many Altcoins versions as well.