qwertvt
    qwertvt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

If Blockchain doesn’t confirm the bitcoin I sent, will it eventually be returned?

I sent a small amount of bitcoin to Coinbase from blockchain.

I just used standard fees.

With the smaller fee and the high usage, I am concerned I may never have my bitcoin verified.

Will the bitcoin be returned or could it be permanently stuck if I don’t see it in a day or two?

Does Blockchain attempt to resend automatically if the transaction is unconfirmed after 72 hours?

My first and only transfer took an hour. This second transaction was this morning.

I am really lost here.

I have the transaction number but I have no idea what all the information means.

Any insight is appreciated.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

Your money will either arrive at Coinbase or come back available in your blockchain.info wallet. It won't be lost.

There is no fixed time for it to be cancelled if not picked up by a miner, but the default in most node software is 72 hours. After that time nodes start forgetting the tx but only when all nodes that communicate directly with your wallet have forgotten the transaction will you be able to access those coins again. It's very tough to estimate how long that might take right now. It 'should be' 4 or 5 days under normal circumstances if the network is working as it should be.

Your blockchain.info wallet does Not automatically re-broadcast the transaction. So if no miner picks it up, and you don't manually re-broadcast it (or use an accelerator), then it should be on the way to being forgotten already.

But if it was me, I would be trying a re-broadcast and accelerators as it's more likely to go through faster than it will be returned. Plus you probably would like it go through with the low fee anyway at a guess?

If you post the link to the tx someone here will help you check the details

or just post the SIZE (bytes), WEIGHT, FEES PER BYTE, FEE PER WEIGHT UNIT if you prefer.

qwertvt

Thanks Optional, always helpful. Doesn’t the link expose your permanent blockchain address?

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by qwertvt View Post
    Thanks Optional, always helpful. Doesn’t the link expose your permanent blockchain address?
    Yes it exposes the current wallet address. Not really a biggie if you use a new address for each transfer though. If you don't want to rebroadcast it dont post it though, as someone else might do it to be helpful. (or an ass)

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

The TxID doesn't compromise the security of your wallet (it's the 12 word seed phrase or the private key which would cause an issue). Whatever link you're taken to when you view the transaction is fine. But if your issue is privacy, then yes it is an issue.

qwertvt

I appreciate everyone’s help but I will just wait it out.
    Last edited by qwertvt; 01-05-18 at 11:03 PM.

Optional

I appreciate everyone’s help but I will just wait it out.
    Looks like it has been confirmed now

qwertvt

Thank you Optional. You really go out of your way to assist others at all levels.

I suppose my transaction was slow due to high traffic.

This was my second test, although I am not quite done as I want to purchase other currency. Time to do some homework.

I will be making larger transactions once the NFL is over. I suppose I feel comfortable enough to use bitcoin and it’s accompanying websites to move larger amounts of money.

I tip my hat to you Optional. Please note I am grateful for all you do.
    Points Awarded:

Optional gave qwertvt 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Optional

Thanks qwertvt