searanchdude
    searanchdude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1857

coinbase reporting

The IRS is forcing coinbase to report users with transactions over 20,000 in any one year for last few years as explained in the following article:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/29/...se-irs-records

For bettors that play high stakes and use coinbase, they can easily have $50,000 or more in any one year. Here are some questions about this:

- Will coinbase tell which users have been reported? Can we ask if we're in the list of 14,000 users reported?

- Which transactions count toward the $20,000. I'm hoping it's only buying and selling bitcoin with cash and not transferring bitcoin to other accounts.

- When I transfer a large amount of a few thousand dollars, coinbase asks me if I'm transferring to another exchange. I always say no. Are they asking that to see if the transaction counts toward the limit?

Thanks to anyone that knows the answers to some of these questions.

franklissa
    franklissa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

That's why I stop using to coinbase. The government is all over it

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by searanchdude View Post
    The IRS is forcing coinbase to report users with transactions over 20,000 in any one year for last few years as explained in the following article:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/29/...se-irs-records

For bettors that play high stakes and use coinbase, they can easily have $50,000 or more in any one year. Here are some questions about this:

- Will coinbase tell which users have been reported? Can we ask if we're in the list of 14,000 users reported?

- Which transactions count toward the $20,000. I'm hoping it's only buying and selling bitcoin with cash and not transferring bitcoin to other accounts.

- When I transfer a large amount of a few thousand dollars, coinbase asks me if I'm transferring to another exchange. I always say no. Are they asking that to see if the transaction counts toward the limit?

Thanks to anyone that knows the answers to some of these questions.
    If the article is true...

It would be selling ONLY.

They aren't interested in your purchases... only if it correlates to selling elsewhere... for revenue gains.

searanchdude
    searanchdude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1857

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    If the article is true...

It would be selling ONLY.

They aren't interested in your purchases... only if it correlates to selling elsewhere... for revenue gains.
    Hope you're right @TheMoneyShot