bugsy711
    bugsy711's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 759

Best bitcoin exchange sites?

Just curious to what bitcoin exchange site people have been using. I've read some shady stuff on some of the most known sites. Any info would be appreciated.

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

If you live in the US, the most popular method is Coinbase (which is also the fastest if you use a credit card). The problem is that A) Their customer service is lacking to say the least (but I read they're working on fixing that) and B), because they are regulated in the U.S., it's highly advised here not to directly send or receive your bitcoin to/from the sports books because they can close your account if they detect you're using the bitcoin for online gambling. Most people here get around that by sending the bitcoin to a personal wallet such as Blockchain as an intermediary and sending the bitcoin to the book from that wallet. Some here are fine taking the chance and haven't had an issue, but there have been reports of them closing accounts in the past.

It's 1.5% if you buy directly from Coinbase with your bank account (takes a few days to clear and you're locked in at the buy price) and 4% if you use a credit card (instant). If you are ok with waiting a few days, you can fund the USD wallet in Coinbase using your bank account with ACH and buying the bitcoin from their investor platform GDAX for .25% for market orders or no fee if you do a limit order.

There's also CEX and Gemini and Kraken and Bitstamp, but I can't tell you if they are any good or not since I don't use them (other people here I'm sure can give their experience). Their fees are comparable to GDAX. However, some will let you use ACH while some will only allow you to fund by wire.
    Points Awarded:

DwightShrute gave mrpapageorgio 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

bugsy711 gave mrpapageorgio 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

If you want full service and as easy as possible to use then Coinbase.com, Gemini.com and ItBit.com are the most common choices for US users. You can just order what you want or sell what you want and they quote you a price. Then they do the actual exchange on a trading exchange for you (basically)

If you want a bit cheaper and are happy to do the exchange yourself, then a trading exchange like Kraken.com, Bitstamp.com, GDAX and many others are available.

If you want to keep below the radar then you can do person to person exchanges at places like localbitcoins.com. Higher cost and more risk of course.
    Points Awarded:

bugsy711 gave Optional 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Optional

I like independentreserve.com myself btw. Australian licensed and regulated.

bugsy711
    bugsy711's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 759

Thanks guys. That's why this site is awesome people always there to help out. Much love

pecunia
    pecunia's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I like independentreserve.com myself btw. Australian licensed and regulated.
    Optional can you update your experience with Independent.

Looking to jump ship from Coinbase and intrigued with Independent in part due to your posts.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by pecunia View Post

Optional can you update your experience with Independent.

Looking to jump ship from Coinbase and intrigued with Independent in part due to your posts.
    I have not done a trade there in a couple of months but assume they are still the same Pecunia. Great communication. Everything runs smooth. Like everything about them.