suckerbet
    suckerbet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2285

Former US Prosecutor Joins Coinbase

Just wondering what everyone thought about her being hired. The article is attached.........

We are excited to announce former federal prosecutor Kathryn Haun has joined our parent company Board of Directors. Kathryn’s experience and diverse range of skills will be crucial to Coinbase as we continue to be seen as the safest, most trusted place to buy digital currencies through our commitment to government regulations and compliance.
    Kathryn was most recently a federal prosecutor with the U.S. Department of Justice and its first-ever Digital Currency coordinator. As a federal prosecutor, she has served as lead counsel in numerous jury trials, with a focus on financial fraud, cybercrime, digital currency, national security, gangs, and murders. She also held a significant role in the case of two federal agents’ role in the investigation into Silk Road.
    As Coinbase has continued to grow from a wallet to a retail and institutional exchange, our focus has remained on our role as a regulated business and what that means for our customers. We have seen great value in proactively working with governments, banks, and regulators around the world to educate them about digital currency, and Kathryn brings strong expertise to help us drive these conversations forward.
    Kathryn taught Stanford Law School’s first-ever course on Digital Currency and Cybercrime with cross-enrollment from the Stanford Graduate School of Business and Stanford’s Computer Science Department.

evo34
    evo34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4198

Well, they are already mining users' transactions for patterns of gambling. I would imagine they will step it up even further and actively provide leads to law enforcement for whatever they deem to be unusual behavior -- in return for less scrutiny from the federal govt. I think Coinbase is under the delusion that large numbers of people want to use bitcoin to purchase 100%-legal goods and services.

suckerbet
    suckerbet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2285

yes this feels like Neteller, Skrill, Paypal, etc, all over again....

Optional
    Optional's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9201

If Bitcoin is going to go mainstream it needs fully legit companies that act like it is useful for legal purposes. Someone has to do it.

I don't agree with Evo that DOJ is mining Coinbase data looking for gamblers though. Attacking end user gamblers is a no-win proposition for the govt and they know it. They care about people hiding large sums in bitcoin as a cheap, easy to access type of "Swiss account"... and moving large amounts offshore out of the US. But not gamblers.

themike78
    themike78's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10636

Most companies don't want to be associated with it because it is known to be used for illegal activities. I really think it's only a matter of time before U.S government gets more involved with it. Hopefully it won't be like what happened with Neteller.

Bsims
    Bsims's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    If Bitcoin is going to go mainstream it needs fully legit companies that act like it is useful for legal purposes. Someone has to do it.

I don't agree with Evo that DOJ is mining Coinbase data looking for gamblers though. Attacking end user gamblers is a no-win proposition for the govt and they know it. They care about people hiding large sums in bitcoin as a cheap, easy to access type of "Swiss account"... and moving large amounts offshore out of the US. But not gamblers.
    Agree. But I also think the government is concerned about people making profits on the trading of bitcoins reporting these as income or capital gains, and paying taxes on it.