themike78
    themike78's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10636

Bitcoin transfer problem

I sent a bitcoin transfer about 16 hours ago and it still has 0 confirmations. It has nothing to do with the fee. I have sent hundreds of transfers before and never had this happen. It shows up on the blockchain. I contacted the wallet place where I sent it from and they won't respond. Does this mean I just lose the money? It's only like $20 but still kind of frustrating. This is what sucks about bitcoin something like this happens and you can't really call anyone to fix the problem. Just glad it wasn't a large transfer.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

The money cant be lost. It will either be sent or come back.

Have you tried a rebroadcast?

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Thought this might have been an isolated incident, but I've also been having a significant delay with a transaction. I sent 2 more to test and those are also not being confirmed. Weird. Going on 14 hours for my first one.

themike78

Mine finally got confirmed. Strange why that happened. Like I've said I've done hundreds of transactions and never had that happen. Thanks for the reply Optional. I didn't know that they could be returned if not confirmed. I was worried I would just lose the money.

KDOWNS
    KDOWNS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 412

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    The money cant be lost. It will either be sent or come back.

Have you tried a rebroadcast?
    Optional, I have the same thing that is happening to me right now. I sent last night at 7:29. I get an email from coinbase saying i received the bitcoins. I kept watching on when it would be credited, and still says pending with 0 confirmations. Should I be worried yet? I have never had this happen. How long before they send it back if something is wrong with it. It looks like no issue, because it is at coinbase but just says pending, does this happen a lot? Getting a little worried. Thanks in advance, and what are my options to move this along?

KDOWNS

Is there a way to cancel the transaction easily, send the funds back, and re send it with a different address?

GoldRush7

It's going to go through. It's just taking forever. I just received my first confirmation on one that I had sent last night at 7:30.

KDOWNS

Quote Originally Posted by GoldRush7 View Post
    It's going to go through. It's just taking forever. I just received my first confirmation on one that I had sent last night at 7:30.
    What is confusing is I received at Blockchain from book almost instant, and now from blockchain to coinbase 16 hrs and counting. Why? Thanks Gold

GoldRush7

I was told by the support over at the Bitpay Card team that there has been a "significant" spike in bitcoin transactions and that is the cause of the delays(at least for me sending to that card. I'd imagine same issues with coinbase). I even went as far as to send a few test transactions with higher miner fees just to see what would happen and those are still not confirming right away. Sucks!

KDOWNS

Quote Originally Posted by GoldRush7 View Post
    I was told by the support over at the Bitpay Card team that there has been a "significant" spike in bitcoin transactions and that is the cause of the delays(at least for me sending to that card. I'd imagine same issues with coinbase). I even went as far as to send a few test transactions with higher miner fees just to see what would happen and those are still not confirming right away. Sucks!
    I did see there is definitely a spike in transactions. It has been consistent at around 65K last night and all day today. Where normal I believe is around 8-12K unconfirmed. They need to get this fixed somehow. I put mine in last night at about 730 as well, so hopefully I see something soon. Bitpay card is awesome isn't it?

GoldRush7

Quote Originally Posted by KDOWNS View Post
    I did see there is definitely a spike in transactions. It has been consistent at around 65K last night and all day today. Where normal I believe is around 8-12K unconfirmed. They need to get this fixed somehow. I put mine in last night at about 730 as well, so hopefully I see something soon. Bitpay card is awesome isn't it?
    I literally just got it yesterday, but it seems like it's going to be sweet!

Optional

Is there a way to cancel the transaction easily, send the funds back, and re send it with a different address?
    No way to cancel once it is sent.

No one needs to worry about losing funds. They will turn up or be returned eventually.

I've just come online for the day so not really sure whats been going on but what KDOWNS reports about a backlog from usage spike sounds plausible.

The miners are voting on a software upgrade that should solve these bottle neck issues if enough of them can ever agree on the solution to be chosen.

KDOWNS

Thanks Optional

Do you have any idea on how long it would take to get confirmed while this is happening, or if it does not get confirmed for some reason, how long it takes for the bitcoin to be returned to the location of where it was sent from. I am going on Hour 21 now as a pending transaction with no confirmations on coinbase

Optional

Thanks Optional

Do you have any idea on how long it would take to get confirmed while this is happening, or if it does not get confirmed for some reason, how long it takes for the bitcoin to be returned to the location of where it was sent from. I am going on Hour 21 now as a pending transaction with no confirmations on coinbase
    Not really but this site gives a fairly good estimate of wait time based on fees paid

https://bitcoinfees.21.co/

it says that right now paying 24 cents for the average size tx of about 225bytes will get it confirmed pretty fast still right now.

It's saying 6 hours to infinite for lower fee amounts though.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

5d sent my Circle account only a $49.66 incoming transaction yesterday at 11:27 am. My Circle account, almost 29 hours later, still says the transaction is pending.

There must be problems on the Bitcoin network. I've never had to wait this long for confirmations.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    5d sent my Circle account only a $49.66 incoming transaction yesterday at 11:27 am. My Circle account, almost 29 hours later, still says the transaction is pending.

There must be problems on the Bitcoin network. I've never had to wait this long for confirmations.
    There are about three times the amount of unconfirmed transactions waiting in the queue compared to usual; https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions

When that number gets under about 30,000 it should start working fast again.

Courtesywipe
    Dead1977
    Courtesywipe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 346

Not really but this site gives a fairly good estimate of wait time based on fees paid

https://bitcoinfees.21.co/

it says that right now paying 24 cents for the average size tx of about 225bytes will get it confirmed pretty fast still right now.

It's saying 6 hours to infinite for lower fee amounts though.
    Hey Opti, it says I have 668 bytes under my unconfirmed transaction to Bookmaker. It's been 5 hours. Is this byte size abnormal? And the reason it's slow?

themike78

So basically if this bitcoin thing catches on and a lot of people start using it transactions are going to get slower? The more transactions the slower the timeframe for confirmations? Doesn't sound good. Maybe I will start using the old fashioned way to deposit. It might be quicker in the future. I still don't feel safe having my money floating around in cyberspace. That is why I only use bitcoin for small transactions. I feel a lot safer with old fashioned banks. At least if something goes wrong and someone steals your money you can get it refunded. This whole bitcoin thing is still too sketchy to me.
    Last edited by themike78; 01-24-17 at 05:40 PM.

KDOWNS

Quote Originally Posted by themike78 View Post
    So basically if this bitcoin thing catches on and a lot of people start using it transactions are going to get slower? The more transactions the slower the timeframe for confirmations? Doesn't sound good. Maybe I will start using the old fashioned way to deposit. It might be quicker in the future. I still don't feel safe having my money floating around in cyberspace. That is why I only use bitcoin for small transactions. I feel a lot safer with old fashioned banks. At least if something goes wrong and someone steals your money you can get it refunded. This whole bitcoin thing is still too sketchy to me.
    More transactions should make Bitcoin price go up, right?, wrong, been going down. I don't understand

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by Courtesywipe View Post

Hey Opti, it says I have 668 bytes under my unconfirmed transaction to Bookmaker. It's been 5 hours. Is this byte size abnormal? And the reason it's slow?
    yes that is about 2.5x the size of a normal transaction so it would take a 60 cent fee to get it confirmed in a reasonable time right now.

That said, I don't know how to tell how many bytes a transaction I send will end up being before I do it so just hope the Blockchain wallet sets the right fee amount (and haven't had an issue so far )

The byte size is determined by the inputs used to create the tx. If you have lots of small amounts sitting in your wallet that all get used in one transaction the byte size will be larger than if it you are sending using just one input.

It's only getting slower now due to an inbuilt limit in tx size in the blockchain software.

Everyone has known of this problem for years and there have been arguments and different ideas on how to solve it for a long time.

Right now there is a vote going on among the mining machine owners to try and reach agreement to implement a solution called Segregated Witness (SegWit). The vote uses the blockchain system and so far not enough miners agree. I've seen prop bets around if it will be implemented by July. Thats the best guide I know of of when it might be fixed.

Really dumb situation as it can be fixed. Goes to show one of the flaws of distributed decision making at least I guess.

More transactions should make Bitcoin price go up, right?, wrong, been going down. I don't understand
    Well in general you would think it is good but right now it's making the system look a bit amateur so doubt its helping prices.

Plaza23

It's now been over 48 hours and the transaction still says pending.

themike78

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    It's now been over 48 hours and the transaction still says pending.
    Dam that sucks. I'm about to do a transfer myself and I'm going to be pissed if it's going to take that long. It would be nice if they gave you an estimated timeframe before you send the money. Now it's a gamble knowing when the dam money is going to arrive. I'm starting to not like bitcoin anymore.

Plaza23

Dam that sucks. I'm about to do a transfer myself and I'm going to be pissed if it's going to take that long. It would be nice if they gave you an estimated timeframe before you send the money. Now it's a gamble knowing when the dam money is going to arrive. I'm starting to not like bitcoin anymore.
    This was really a test run of $50 from 5d to Circle to make sure my Circle address still receives funds. It's saying receiving so I know the address works so the only hold up is the Bitcoin network. I don't mind waiting but I'm glad I didn't transfer more or I'd be pissed. I'd rather the money still be in my bank account or gambling account. Being in limbo does nothing.

raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15362

https://bitcoinfees.21.co/ Change drop down top left from satoshis to BTC.

Currently
    .Which fee should I use?

The fastest and cheapest transaction fee is currently 0.0000012 BTC/byte, shown in green at the top.

For the median transaction size of 226 bytes, this results in a fee of 0.0002712 BTC.

raiders72001

Sorry, I just saw that Optional beat me to it. The post above is a repeat of his post.

raiders72001

Books are going to have to increase their transaction fees. Bookmaker and 5Dimes are great books but it seems that their transactions have been slow the last couple of days.

I haven't personally made a withdrawal from either book recently so I'm just going on what's posted here and at other forums.

Is anyone having delays outside of those two books to confirm?

edit- I'm catching up on threads here but see that Intertops and some sent transactions from posters here have been slow too.

edit 2 - haven't kept up with anything bitcoin the last couple of days and prematurely blamed books. The back up started Jan. 23 because of a backlog to the Mempool.
    Last edited by raiders72001; 01-25-17 at 01:52 PM.

raiders72001

Here's the mempool size chart. Crazy

https://blockchain.info/charts/mempool-size

littlekona
    littlekona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5828

Quote Originally Posted by raiders72001 View Post
    https://bitcoinfees.21.co/ Change drop down top left from satoshis to BTC.

Currently
    So if you send a fee higher then 0.0002712 BTC. for 226 bytes it even faster correct??? or does it matter??

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by littlekona View Post

So if you send a fee higher then 0.0002712 BTC. for 226 bytes it even faster correct??? or does it matter??
    It depends on when you send it.

Right now it isn't getting processed any faster with a higher fee.

Look at the end number on the right of the graph. Notice how it says 35 mins for all fees of 0.0000012 and above per byte?

Venom72
    Venom72's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 974

Did a withdraw from betonline monday morning to my circle account and didnt get it till wednesday, usually its same day, within a few hours

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Seeing delays like this makes me not even want to move Bitcoins around from book to book etc.

Not even worth the stress.

Plaza23

My 49.66 finally confirmed. Wait time was over 2 days.

raiders72001

scavsiu8
    scavsiu8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 675

Less then 5k unconfirmed right now, when it is that low, I have had confirmations in less then 5 minutes, and even some as less then one minute.

Bitcoin and that debit card that everyone talks about is simply amazing. I'm shocked at people with all the user issues.

Its really about cutting and pasting and making sure you are transfering the right info. The only issue I have ever had with the debit card was not sending the correct amount of bitcoin, and that was fixed alot faster then I thought it was.

Coinbase/Coinmama (expensive)
    Airbitz is my wallet
    Bitpay debit card

(very seamless if you take your time)

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

There are about three times the amount of unconfirmed transactions waiting in the queue compared to usual; https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions

When that number gets under about 30,000 it should start working fast again.
    How come this number never decreases when you watch it? It keeps growing larger... and larger... and I never see it decrease?

123 Last