Catch77
    Catch77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1804

Beware to those using Coinbase

FYI...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2016/11/21/irs-wants-court-authority-to-identify-bitcoin-users-transactions-at-coinbase/#176713b540d1

I don't use either Circle or Coinbase anymore but probably a good thing to start reporting that taxable income.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

FYI from the article re tax;

the IRS issued guidance to taxpayers on how to treat Bitcoin – and other virtual currency – for federal income tax purposes. That guidance, IRS Notice 2014-21, (downloads as a pdf) indicates that Bitcoin and other “convertible” virtual currencies are to be treated as a capital asset. “Convertible” virtual currencies are generally defined as virtual currencies with an equivalent value in real currency or those that act as a substitute for real currency. For taxpayers, this means that Bitcoin and other similar virtual currency is subject to capital gains rules for any applicable gains or losses – more or less like property.

patswin
    patswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10189

Quote Originally Posted by Catch77 View Post
    FYI...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphi.../#176713b540d1

I don't use either Circle or Coinbase anymore but probably a good thing to start reporting that taxable income.
    sorry if this has been covered before but i am new to bitcoin. what other options are there to get bitcoins converted to cash and sent to my bank?

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by patswin View Post

sorry if this has been covered before but i am new to bitcoin. what other options are there to get bitcoins converted to cash and sent to my bank?
    You can use a Person to Person exchange like localbitcoins where you can deal in paypal or giftcards or bank deposit or meet face to face with cash.

Non-US regulated exchangers/exchanges. Upside is privacy and they dont care if you use btc for gambling or not in most cases. Downside is you will need to use wires to get regular money in and out. I'd suggest independantreserve.com if you want to go that way.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Guys, keep the money out of the banking system! It is not hard to buy or sell coins with cash! And stay the hell away from circle or coinbase aka narcs for the Feds!

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    Guys, keep the money out of the banking system! It is not hard to buy or sell coins with cash! And stay the hell away from circle or coinbase aka narcs for the Feds!
    They are fighting the request, so would not call them narcs.

This is just what happens when there is regulation. Hopefully the courts agree they should not be allowed to go fishing for issues with all that data.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Even if they handed over their records etc... there's no way they could prove you made a gain on anything.

raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15360

Coinbase is fighting it in court.

spro23
    spro23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8091

Judges are all globalist pawns, they most always side with the government over freedoms. That's how obamacare was upheld