themike78
    themike78's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10636

Problem with bitcoin wallets,don't make same mistake I did

This is the second time this has happened to me. I had somebody send me bitcoins to my wallet address. Problem is these wallets like localbitcoins and coinbase change your receiving bitcoin address all the time. I assumed that because I received bitcoins at that address before 2 weeks later I could receive at the same address. Now I am out the bitcoins they sent me because I did not know they changed my receiving address. Very frustrating. I do not know why they do this and they could at least tell you that they change your receiving address. Don't make the same mistake check to make sure what your receiving address is before you give it to somebody.

NCarts
    NCarts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 982

Quote Originally Posted by themike78
    I do not know why they do this and they could at least tell you that they change your receiving address.
    (Copied from Circle.com)
    Why does my address change?

To protect your privacy, we provide a new bitcoin address for each transfer. This prevents someone from tracking all the payments you receive by looking at the blockchain.

terribell
    terribell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 955

interesting... and helpful since i'm debating about using bitcoins instead of cash. Via, advantages vs. disadvantages, etc.

thespeculator
    thespeculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13168

at localbitcoins your old addresses are still valid, i have about 8 . The funds still show up . My anonibet payouts still come to an address that i have had for over a year. If you go to your wallet ,, you will see all of your addresses.

not sure about other companies

p4eris
    p4eris's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm a newbie to bitcoin as well and I'm 100% sure I would have made the same mistake as you.

Question for the veterans -- on directbet for example, you must input your bitcoin receiving address with every stake you make. Does this mean that I'd have to micro-manage my bitcoin receiving address every minute or so?

Say I'm live betting, I won a bet for example and the money goes to my bitcoin receiving address. According to this thread, I would then have a new bitcoin receiving address because I just completed a transaction. What if I then place another stake 5 minutes later and also won? Does this mean I have to look up my new bitcoin receiving address?

futbolmundial
    Update your status
    futbolmundial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 49

Quote Originally Posted by p4eris View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up! I'm a newbie to bitcoin as well and I'm 100% sure I would have made the same mistake as you.

Question for the veterans -- on directbet for example, you must input your bitcoin receiving address with every stake you make. Does this mean that I'd have to micro-manage my bitcoin receiving address every minute or so?

Say I'm live betting, I won a bet for example and the money goes to my bitcoin receiving address. According to this thread, I would then have a new bitcoin receiving address because I just completed a transaction. What if I then place another stake 5 minutes later and also won? Does this mean I have to look up my new bitcoin receiving address?
    First and foremost get a btc wallet that has a fixed address. When you input the payout address always use a wallet that you KNOW will never change. This way you can keep sending and receiving from the same address. I prefer blockchain wallet as my go to.