Memento
    Short Term Memory Loss Required
    Memento's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

Trivia Answer Dispute

"A football term for a lateral toss from the quarterback to running back" is called a pitch out? Choices were forward progress, lateral, pitch out and special teams. Never heard pitch out used other than in baseball....maybe pitch back if runnning back is behind qb. I chose lateral.

Trivia reset? Or am I just an idiot here?

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

a pitch play is where the qb throws it back to the running back like a sweep play
    lateral is when the ball carrier throws it back like a trick play where the running back has the ball and throws it backwards to a WR for a throw or something along those lines .....

never really heard pitch out though kinda confusing ...

Memento

Never in my life can I remember the announcers using the term "pitch out" when referring to football...in any capacity. Only in baseball.

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Memento View Post
    Never in my life can I remember the announcers using the term "pitch out" when referring to football...in any capacity. Only in baseball.
    ya ive never heard the term pitch out either...
    i know throwing it back qb to rb can be a pitch or sweep play

a lateral is not when the qb throws it back its when a ball carrier does example an RB,WR,TE

pitch out is extremely confusing though... my question today was who had the most losses in a season for 4 mlb teams in 2005..... so we both had no chance lol

Memento

Quote Originally Posted by firekillex View Post
    ya ive never heard the term pitch out either...
    i know throwing it back qb to rb can be a pitch or sweep play

a lateral is not when the qb throws it back its when a ball carrier does example an RB,WR,TE

pitch out is extremely confusing though... my question today was who had the most losses in a season for 4 mlb teams in 2005..... so we both had no chance lol
    yeah, just one of those days. BOL on Monday!
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave Memento 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

hhsilver
    hhsilver's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29922

I know the term - i guess it's not used much anymore.

But it is definitely a lateral ( often underhand ) from the qb , or whoever takes snap. In the single wing ( another term from the past ) it was the fullback or halfback ( another word of the past) . In the single wing halfback was often called tailback, while the other halfback was call wingback.

I could go on and on with football vocabulary changes....how did "line to gain" suddenly become a thing?

go to google >>> define "pitch out" in football
    Last edited by hhsilver; 06-02-17 at 07:09 AM.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Toss to tailback used to be called a "pitch" and still is as far as I know. Never heard the term "pitch out." But close enough. Pitch is pitch. Some of them are tricky.

hhsilver
    hhsilver's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29922

The great Bobby Layne practicing a pitch out - and it was definitely called "pitch out".

secretstash
    secretstash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 45

pitchout

image: http://secretstash.mysbrforum.com/photos/l/qfjX2uk3.jpg

pitch·out
    • Baseball a ball pitched deliberately away from the plate in anticipation of a play by the catcher to throw out a runner who has moved away from a base
    • Football a lateral pass behind the line of scrimmage, usually from the quarterback to another back

Read more at http://www.yourdictionary.com/pitcho...HeAGCfzcMWE.99

Sporting Charts explains Lateral

A lateral has many different uses throughout play. The most common use is on a running play when the quarterback will lateral the ball to a running back in order to get the ball to the outside more quickly than a standard handoff. Laterals can also be used in trick plays, such as the flea-flicker and hook-and-ladder, in order to switch the player with the ball in an attempt to catch the defense off guard. Laterals can also be used by defensive or special teams players in return situations, as a player who is about to be tackled can lateral the ball to another player to keep the play alive and advance the ball further. Laterals that occur downfield during plays are considered quite risky because of the number of players who can make a play on the ball.

I vote redo for the guy. He tried awfully hard.

-stash
    Last edited by secretstash; 06-02-17 at 09:46 PM.
    Points Awarded:

stuler gave secretstash 200 Betpoint(s) for this post.