View Poll Results: Should SBR run another Sharps Fund?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, run another

47 85.45%
  • No

5 9.09%
  • Who cares!?!??!

3 5.45%
    Jackie Blue
    With Love, Jackie Blue
    Jackie Blue's Avatar Become A Pro!

SBR Sharps Fund: Should we run another?

Cast your vote & leave any comments in the suggestion box.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Yes
    BUT
    you have to do the weekly update videos in a bikini
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Chi_archie, eidolon, and JAKEPEAVY21

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

yeh but wrong guys capping

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9990

Need to have more picks per week to encourage more stock price fluctuations. Would love to see rule where bets need to be locked in 12 hours before game time. Would allow a lot more people to fade/follow however they saw fit. Either way definitely run another one.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    yeh but wrong guys capping
    Doubling share price meant wrong guys??

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

First one never got my interest

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

yes

and for a twist if it isn't too hard to track, let the buyers personalize their portfolio and pick how much of a % 0-25-50-75-100

they want from each manager

for instance using the last one, maybe I buy a fund that is broken down between 50% yisman and 50% Themonyshot and 0% for the other 2.

or maybe I want 25% across the board for 4

or put all my eggs in my Yisman Basket ect

nvrlose37
    nvrlose37's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dividends/splits would be a good addition

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

More picks per week.

A single thread showing every pick and it's result so that people can follow along whats happening and maybe talk about it more.

And do it like a punters club... a panel of 6 or 8 cappers. Two bet at a time. Winning bet = bet again. Loser = pass baton to the next guy in line.

I'd also make a simple stock ticker to promote it across the site, showing last sale price and movement.

Optional

Maybe give the top capper a prize and shiny badge at the end too.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by minet123 View Post
    Yes
    BUT
    They do television shows about guys like you on MSNBC on weekends...creepy

jose21_us
    The Miami Connection
    jose21_us's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11236

Not really sure what you are talking about...

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Yisman at the head
    I would trust my wife with him on a bet in Vegas

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

It will be interesting to see what SBR elects to do in this situation. There are many numerous scenarios to consider.

The main question of this thread is... should SBR do another one? There are numerous variables to this equation.

1. My personal belief is... what if you don't find a group of quality managers like Yisman, trytrytry, and RM18. I'm theoretically speaking. Is the point of the fund to gain consistently... to benefit all SBR posters to MAKE MORE BETPOINTS? Or... will the next set of managers lose points?

2. Is the point to the Fund to constantly fluctuate? Meaning... more trading per day? Like a true stock market? Or... solid steady growth?

3. Not trying to step on SBR's toes... but the managers deserve a hell of a lot more compensation if you want "true gains" and "true growth". Whoever was in charge of setting this original fund up... had no clue of the time and effort to calculate the best possible 2 correct plays a week. No SBR poster wants to lose their investment. You don't want them to lose... then pay the managers well with betpoints.

So, as you clearly see... there are a variety of different ways the next fund could be set up. You can lose your ass. You can have the market fluctuate crazy each week. Or... you can have the fund produce like this past fund did. Personally, I'm not trying to sound cocky... but I'd like to see the next group of managers out perform Yisman, trytrytry, and RM18... I really don't think the next set of managers will. I'd wager on it. Everyone had a unique wagering pattern... and everyone balanced each other out. All great chemistry.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    It will be interesting to see what SBR elects to do in this situation. There are many numerous scenarios to consider.

The main question of this thread is... should SBR do another one? There are numerous variables to this equation...

the managers deserve a hell of a lot more compensation if you want "true gains" and "true growth". Whoever was in charge of setting this original fund up... had no clue of the time and effort to calculate the best possible 2 correct plays a week....... .
    Very true.
    Maybe something more along the lines of real life hedge funds: a base pay plus % of gains. 1500 points plus 10% gain? or something of that sort

roundcake
    roundcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

yes please do another.. dont care about rules as long as it makes me points again thx

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47515

yes, another would be cool..daily updates would be nice..

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Quote Originally Posted by minet123 View Post
    Yes
    BUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post

They do television shows about guys like you on MSNBC on weekends...creepy
    Yeah, you're hitting rockbottom when you're slobbering at stuff like that.
    Cmon Minet, act like you've had some snatch before.

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post

The main question of this thread is... should SBR do another one? There are numerous variables to this equation.

1. My personal belief is... what if you don't find a group of quality managers like Yisman, trytrytry, and RM18. I'm theoretically speaking. Is the point of the fund to gain consistently... to benefit all SBR posters to MAKE MORE BETPOINTS? Or... will the next set of managers lose points?

2. Is the point to the Fund to constantly fluctuate? Meaning... more trading per day? Like a true stock market? Or... solid steady growth?

3. Not trying to step on SBR's toes... but the managers deserve a hell of a lot more compensation if you want "true gains" and "true growth". Whoever was in charge of setting this original fund up... had no clue of the time and effort to calculate the best possible 2 correct plays a week. No SBR poster wants to lose their investment. You don't want them to lose... then pay the managers well with betpoints.

So, as you clearly see... there are a variety of different ways the next fund could be set up. You can lose your ass. You can have the market fluctuate crazy each week. Or... you can have the fund produce like this past fund did. Personally, I'm not trying to sound cocky... but I'd like to see the next group of managers out perform Yisman, trytrytry, and RM18... I really don't think the next set of managers will. I'd wager on it. Everyone had a unique wagering pattern... and everyone balanced each other out. All great chemistry.
    Good points TMS. The most important variable though: what kind of incentives will SBR give to people for the "IPO"? The last one worked out well for people primarily because SBR added 66% of what the bought initially. If SBR didn't add anything, the gains would have been far less (~26% instead of ~110%) on the initial purchase.

Compensation to the managers is another area which will have problems unless SBR foots the bill. Most funds have the managers paid based on a percentage of the fund itself. For this last one, without SBR adding to the pot, manager compensation (11,400 points) was a little over 8% of the fund investment despite being such a tiny amount of points. If the fund had to pay these points itself, even that small level of compensation would have eaten up 30% of the profit, and profit would have been only 18%. If all the profit was given to the managers, it still would have only been ~630 points per week to each manager, ~3160 point bonus to winning-est manager...still well short of adequate compensation I imagine.

Funds like this need a much larger volume, so that a small percentage of the collective investment is enough to compensate the managers. Unless SBR sweetens the pot as they did this time, I think you'd need at least 3 times as much invested in the fund to approach being able to compensate managers well, and probably 10 times the investment before it became a good deal for them.

Worth noting that without SBR sweetening the pot, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing the exact same thing. Obviously individuals have done the same thing on here numerous times, and if you adapted these rules, you and others could just as easily run your own thing and determine your own rules.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_D_Bet View Post

The most important variable though: what kind of incentives will SBR give to people for the "IPO"? The last one worked out well for people primarily because SBR added 66% of what the bought initially.

Exactly TripleD

Will have to at least match the IPO of the last one .

Lets raise the initial cap on shares in the IPO to 400 shares instead of 300 though

Optional

Maybe let people trade in smaller blocks than 100 shares to encourage more activity.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Maybe let people trade in smaller blocks than 100 shares to encourage more activity.
    This is a good point. Even the initial buy-in which was the cheapest point you could buy a share was 6pts per share or 600 for the min buy. My guess is that only 5% if sbr pros carry that balance weekly without buying a pizza as soon as they get there so your working on very limited market size already.

Could set up separate thread where buyer pays 2 Points for any transaction under 100 (I.e. If you buy 10 shares at 10pts you would give seller 100 points and a mod 2 points for logging transaction). I am sure you can find someone who would be willing to maintain that spreadsheet at a compensation of 2 points per transaction. Only charge that on transactions below min. That gets sbr away from having to compensate them and still gets movement in fund.