SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Someone asked for SBR to explain why.

The goal of the Pro program is to show sponsors we have a bonafide group of visitors with both the means and interests in gaming and sports in general. And two to identify the user so as to avoid ghosts and reduce fraud within the Pro program.

We would rather not worry about any problems with the US because they control the .com domain names. The US's policy is shoot and kill first and maybe ask questions later. We spent 6 figures in legal fees in 2011 in civil litigation and we are looking hard at what might cause us to spend large sums in the future.

We can accomplish our goals with the US Pro program through the donation feature. Once a player is Pro we can allow renewals through a points purchase.

DJ Dalamar
    DJ Dalamar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3396

Thanks for the explanation John I figured it was for legal reasons.

secretstash
    secretstash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 45

John why not just turn sbr into .ag or .eu?

I mean then all the problems are gone for the same reasons why when the books switch they are more legit.

-stash

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Quote Originally Posted by secretstash View Post
    John why not just turn sbr into .ag or .eu?

I mean then all the problems are gone for the same reasons why when the books switch they are more legit.

-stash
    I thought about pre answering that, but then I guess it was fairly cool to see who was going to inquire with a follow up.

We have .eu and .ca and others. If we ever lose the .com we will obviously switch. But we have so much SEO and intangible investment into the .com's we are not willing to go that route for now.

killawookie
    killawookie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    Someone asked for SBR to explain why.

The goal of the Pro program is to show sponsors we have a bonafide group of visitors with both the means and interests in gaming and sports in general. And two to identify the user so as to avoid ghosts and reduce fraud within the Pro program.

We would rather not worry about any problems with the US because they control the .com domain names. The US's policy is shoot and kill first and maybe ask questions later. We spent 6 figures in legal fees in 2011 in civil litigation and we are looking hard at what might cause us to spend large sums in the future.

We can accomplish our goals with the US Pro program through the donation feature. Once a player is Pro we can allow renewals through a points purchase.
    So.. when did the cutoff for the "free" renewal for Pros happen? Mine ran out earlier this year and I didn't re-up till I decided to do it now and now there is worse options. I legitimately was going to use a fantasy renewal option and play out my deposit. Now I feel as the door closed behind me since I didn't re-up immediately after my PRO status expired... so as of right now my only option is donation of $200 to charity for the forseeable future? Because it sounded like i may have other options since I was a pro at one time...

I'm not trying to get you guys in legal trouble... just trying to get back in.. lol

BrokeLiving
    BrokeLiving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Yeah, I would love fanduel option myself

killawookie
    killawookie's Avatar Become A Pro!

I lost a parlay that would have gotten me the points to renew my pro status .. now I'll have to piss awa.. I mean donate $200 AND deposit $300 at DSI to get into the Prick contest this year... $500 just to get the full value.. damn

Inspirited
    Inspirited's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17852

i was planning on signing up to one of those fantasy sights to become pro. too bad.

Herky
    Herky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4589

Never seen a more pathetic group of complainers in my life! STFU and ante up the $200 to charity if you want to go pro. If you don't want to do that, then leave or stay non pro. Pretty simple.

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

why cant you just charge non pros 5000 points to become pros? and maybe do like a 20 dollar fee on top. Otherwise people will just wait till they get the 5k points pay 200 bucks to a good charity then use their 5k for amazon gift cards equal to 200.

or just charge a 50 dollar fee to be a pro each year.
    Last edited by GOIRISH; 09-03-12 at 11:24 PM.

DJ Dalamar
    DJ Dalamar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3396

If it was really just a ID verification thing there is lots of places that do just that. You could pony up the points and pay for the ID verification and go pro.

Charities don't check ID they just want the donation.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32267

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    I'll go pro with points anytime... that's a great concept.
    ditto

eleuropeano
    eleuropeano's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1924

Although I'm non-US, so I can go pro anyway I like, I would donate to a lobby group that advocates legalized gambling in the US.

Dux90
    Dux90's Avatar Become A Pro!

yea I am happy that the donation option is there I dont see why people are so mad about donating to a cause they believe in.

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

spent $400. trying to become pro----$200 to justbet denied because i opened through wrong link----$200 to bet island found out this no longer applys----perfer to send money to my main book 5ds.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

damn i was gonna actually put money in a new sponsored book and become pro and i see that not option any longer.... guess ill stick with outs i already have and not play beat the prick.....bummer thought least i could do after point scandal of '10 was to become "pro" and let sbr collect on me getting my ass kicked in the nfl...oh well, i tried..

First ... 2345