Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

How about my Astros?!

Hey, coming off a true 'dog days of August' schedule with 30 games in 31 days, and doing without one of their biggest bats Carlos Lee the last three weeks or so of the month, my beloved Astros went 21-9. Today's sweep of the Cardinals really go a long way to putting St. Louis' chances in the basura basket.

No, I really don't expect them to make some mad dash into the playoffs. Even if they went 20-5, something unreal like that, the rest of the way, the Brewers could go 12-14 and still beat them out. Plus the Philthies and Cardinals are in front of Houston as well.

Astros have a fairly easy schedule the reast of the way, however:
    6 vs Cubs, 3 @ home, 3 @ Chicago
    3 vs. Rockies, @ Colorado
    7 vs. Pirates, 4 @ home, 3 @ Pittsburgh
    3 vs. Marlins, @ Florida
    3 vs Reds, @ home
    3 vs. Braves, @ home

So at this point, they can't really spoil anyone's season, unless they went 5-1, 6-0 against the Cubs. Still, Houston could beat my best case projection of 83 wins this year, and that's saying something with the problems on the mound, Roy o having an off year, El Caballo being out the last three-plus weeks. Houston and the NL Central have been so much better than anyone really thought in the grand scheme.

I still think the Brewers are in as the Wild Card and a real threat in the postseason. Crooked Cap Sabathia looks like a man possessed right now, a lot like Orel Hershiser did coming down the stretch for the Dodgers in 1988.

Just enjoying a Mexican Martini and typing my thoughts out loud more than anything else

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

I remember 2 or 3 years ago the Astros went on a major tear the last coupla months to make the playoffs. Were they further behind that year than they were/are this year, Willie B?

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90300

Astros waited to long to make a run, shit Padres are winning now too. A little to late. There is always next year SIR and the next, and the next, anyways when the Killer B's left they started over, so I assume it will be years before they see the playoffs again.
    As for 80 wins this year a major surprise.

Wilforth
    Update your status
    Wilforth's Avatar Become A Pro!

In their remaining schedule, they'll sweep the Marlins and Braves.

Willie Bee

Quote Originally Posted by pimike View Post
    Astros waited too long to make a run...
    True that, got killed after a hot month in May then the series that really cost them was being swept at home by Pittsburgh just after the All-Star break.

Quote Originally Posted by smitch
    I remember 2 or 3 years ago the Astros went on a major tear the last coupla months to make the playoffs. Were they further behind that year than they were/are this year, Willie B?
    Yeah, they were further back in '04 and '05, but they started their move sooner, especially in 2005. The late run in 2004 was a beaut, started with a Cubs-Astros series in Houston during the Roy Oswalt-Michele Barrett love spat

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

If the Astros can pick up some pitching in the offseason, then us Houston fans might be dancing in the street next year.

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6001

Hey Willie B are you same guy from the radio?

Willie Bee

Yeah, part of a team of guys who did some Sunday morning Astros shows on KGOW, if that's what you mean. There was another Willie B a few years back who did some football stuff with John & Lance I understand. Not sure about who he is.