bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

4 more pitchers test positive for roids

they know there testing big time nowadays, and these idiots are still using them. what really makes it worse, is the fact it's the first week of the season.

Latest suspensions mean nothing
    April 11, 2006

Item: Major League Baseball on Tuesday announced that four minor league pitchers had been suspended 50 games each for violating baseball's drug policy. Three tested positive for performance enhancers, the other for "a drug of abuse." None of the four are on a major league club's 40-man roster.

My take: It's far from a coincidence that MLB made this announcement just a day after commissioner Bud Selig engaged in a sometimes testy exchange with media in St. Louis over steroids.

No one needs to rejoice over the announcement. Don't even try to proclaim that baseball really is on the ball when it comes to testing and enforcement. No-name minor leaguers got popped. They couldn't appeal, they didn't have the union behind them -- they were stuck, so to speak.

The true test will come when there's an open-and-shut case involving a major leaguer -- caught redhanded, no "supplement defense." If that player doesn't serve 50 as a first-time offender, fans should have zero confidence that baseball can credibly police itself.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

To me, this highlights why steroids are such a big problem. Younger and younger players think they have to take them to ever have a shot at that million dollar contract.

High school kids are taking steroids because they think they can't have a future without them. Hopefully the new policies will be enforced and eventually take that stuff right out of the equation.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

The fact that it's pitchers that got caught makes it nice, because they have been sliding under the radar for the most part with all the attention focused on batters and home runs.

The Great One
    The Great One's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just let them take whatever they want. It makes the game better anyway.

Mudcat

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    The fact that it's pitchers that got caught makes it nice, because they have been sliding under the radar for the most part with all the attention focused on batters and home runs.
    That's a good point.

bigboydan

one player tested positive for something other than roids. thats something even more different all togather other than the pitchers being on the hot seat as owned mentioned.

bigboydan

are these players just that stupid.

five more minor leaguers suspended for positive tests

NEW YORK (AP) -- Arizona Diamondbacks minor league pitcher Angel Rocha was suspended for 100 games Tuesday, the toughest penalty baseball has levied for a positive steroids test.

Rocha was suspended for 15 games last June 6.

"We understand and support the commissioner's policy on this matter, and agree with the importance and impact of the proper enforcement," Diamondbacks general manager Josh Byrnes said in a statement." We will continue to make education a top priority for our players at all levels of our system."

Four players were suspended for 50 games each for testing positive: Los Angeles Angels pitcher Karl Jelinas, New York Mets pitcher Jorge Reyes, St. Louis outfielder Yonathan Sivira and San Diego pitcher Matthew Varner.

The penalty for an initial positive test this year was increased from 15 games to 50 for players with minor league contracts, and the penalty for a second positive test rose from 30 games to 100.

For major leaguers, the punishment was lengthened from 10 days to 50 games -- but any test for major leaguers is treated as a first positive test.

There were 81 suspensions last season for violations of the minor league drug program, and four minor league pitchers were suspended last week.

Mudcat

I can't figure out if it's stupidity or laziness. Isn't hard work an option to improve performance?

Maybe it's even a calculated risk. Maybe steroids are just that good that it's worth hoping you can dodge the tests for a shot at the extra millions of dollars they can bring. I don't know.

I'm glad the system is working anyway.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat
    I can't figure out if it's stupidity or laziness. Isn't hard work an option to improve performance?

Maybe it's even a calculated risk. Maybe steroids are just that good that it's worth hoping you can dodge the tests for a shot at the extra millions of dollars they can bring. I don't know.

I'm glad the system is working anyway.
    I think these guys believe they can dodge the system. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

bigboydan

are these minor leaguers really that stupid!!

every minor league baseball player knows how they are cracking down on roids, and there still taking the risk.

Mets minor leaguer is first player penalized under toughened major league rules

April 28, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Mets minor league pitcher Yusaku Iriki was suspended for 50 games Friday after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance, making him the first player to be penalized under Major League Baseball's toughened steroid rules.

The 33-year-old Iriki agreed to a one-year, $750,000 deal with the Mets in January after spending his entire career in Japan. He was playing at Triple-A Norfolk this season and was on the Mets' 40-man roster.

Iriki was 1-2 with a 3.74 ERA in four starts at Norfolk. He had not been in the majors.

Last year, Iriki would have received a 10-day penalty under MLB's drug rules. During the offseason, owners and players agreed to increase the penalties to 50 games for a first offense, 100 games for a second and a lifetime ban for a third.

"The Mets are obviously disappointed that a member of our organization has tested positive. The Mets are fully supportive of Major League Baseball's joint drug policy," the team said in a statement.

There have been 10 players suspended this season under the minor league program, including an Arizona pitching prospect for 100 games.

Iriki was 35-35 with three saves and a 3.73 ERA in 212 games during eight seasons in Japan. The right-hander was an All-Star in 2001.