ShowMeDaMoney
    ShowMeDaMoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 746

Friend thinks dime\20 cent lines no huge difference.

Can anyone link me to an article that shows examples of in the long run, what the dime\20 cent line would do to a bettor? He plays everyday, and I'm telling him he has to ditch his book becuase he only offers 20 cent lines for bases.

I read an article a ways back that explained it really well. He understands the basics, but thinks it "shouldn't make a big difference in the long run"

No, none of you can book for him.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Forget trying to convince him, just book his bets with a 20c line!

Mr. Jones
    Mr. Jones's Avatar Become A Pro!

A fool and his money are easily parted.

ShowMeDaMoney

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    Forget trying to convince him, just book his bets with a 20c line!
    Thought about doing this but baseball is a sport I'm confident I'll come out on top of - have for the last five years... if it ain't broke don't fix it.

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

No, don't USE his picks; be the bookie against him to demonstrate how you will grind him away.

In ANY BUSINESS if you make a habit of continually paying more (10% etc.) than something is worth, you won't be in business long.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

Imagine this scenario: Say he hits 50% (you can change this to whatever you want). every bet is -110 instead of -105. After (on average) two bets, he will lose 10 cents for every 1 dollar bet for 20cent lines (loses -1.1 and wins 1 = -.1), while with 10cent lines, he only loses (on average) 5 cents (-1.05 + 1 = -.05). For every 2 bets made (again, assuming a line of -110 for every bet), he is losing an additional $0.05. You say he bets quite often, so assuming 20 bets a week, he's losing an additional $0.50 a week if he only bets to win 1 dollar per bet. If he bets $10 a bet, thats an extra $5 he's losing a week.

Now of course, this is assuming a win percentage of only 50%, so i'm sure it's a little less than 5 cents for every two bets, but that's the general idea

EXhoosier10

Here's a general formula to figure out how much he's losing. the .05 is the difference between the 10 and 20 cent line (-105 to -110)

How much he's "losing" = (1-win%)*.05 * (# of Bets)

Tell him to go to matchbook and there will be a 10-15 cent difference in each bet. Assuming a $10 bet per game and 20 bets per week, tell him he's wasting nearly $10 a week because he's not using matchy
    Last edited by EXhoosier10; 02-15-11 at 07:57 PM.

Whippit
    getting to know ms. douglas
    Whippit's Avatar Become A Pro!

is your friend Pete Rose?

BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

LMAO, forget trying to convince him of anything...book his bets for him and rake the difference.

ShowMeDaMoney

Quote Originally Posted by BGboothA View Post
    LMAO, forget trying to convince him of anything...book his bets for him and rake the difference.
    Not looking to book baseball for one person. If i had three or four people that wanted to play on a consistent basis, sure... but booking for one person would be a logistical nightmare, not fun, and not worth my time. I know I beat baseball making my own picks every year so that's what I'll do.

ShowMeDaMoney

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    Here's a general formula to figure out how much he's losing. the .05 is the difference between the 10 and 20 cent line (-105 to -110)

How much he's "losing" = (1-win%)*.05 * (# of Bets)

Tell him to go to matchbook and there will be a 10-15 cent difference in each bet. Assuming a $10 bet per game and 20 bets per week, tell him he's wasting nearly $10 a week because he's not using matchy
    # of bets would be bets lost, yah?

Also he only "loses" out on anything when he takes a dog, so that has to be factored in, yah? I'm not much of a math guy. I was more so gonna do .10*amount of bets on dogs that you won* wager size.

Am I way off?

Only the dogs are ten points lower, the favorites as the closing lines (at least that's what he gets.)

So it's -140 Red Sox
    +130 Yankees

but he gets -140 Red Sox
    +120 Yankees

Also, I've never used matchbook but I'm in the process of figuring out where my money will be online this year. I usually have used betjam\5dimes in the past. Can you tell me does matchbooks lines beat 5dimes which I'm currently getting nickle lines if I play the line before? Not too familiar with matchbook, friend says he uses it and saves a boat load on juice.. but you have to be patient in placing your bets.

EXhoosier10

Ya, I guess this is a baseball thread, so not every bet is going to be -110 or -105. So ya, if those are the type of lines he gets, then sure, he is only losing 10 cents when he loses a dog pick, which i'm guessing he hits only ~45%, so

(#bets on dogs)*(1-Win%)*.1*(Wager size)

(#bets on dogs)* (1-win%) boils down to how many bets he loses, so you can do that instead.

But regards to matchy v. 5dimes/betjam, I don't have experience with either of the two you mentioned. The way I've always done it is split my money between 2 or 3 books (with a a little more at the book I expect to use the most - matchbook). Even if I save only 2 or 3 cents, I'm still savin' some dough.

jds07v
    jds07v's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 388

5Dimes overnight lines have been very nice to me

dabomguy11
    dabomguy11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

I've come to realize that sometimes people are not going to agree with you, even when you know you are absolutely right. While I might try and persuade him, I wouldn't exert too much effort trying to convince someone on something that they already have their mind set on. While it may sound cruel, it's his loss, not yours.

SKiLLsSoLoN
    Glad to have baseball back!
    SKiLLsSoLoN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1410

Sounds like your friends has so much money he just dont not care, lol

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Just rob him at gun point...

underthe total
    under
    underthe total's Avatar Become A Pro!

matchbook is a must if you are capping and betting. the market moves around them in baseball so you will get the best price on the market for your games.