RaginCajun
    RaginCajun's Avatar Become A Pro!

Baseball Handicapping Tips

Hey guys, I am gonna start collecting data from the past season to make a spreadsheet of data. What are some important things i should college besides overall winning percentage and winning percentage against other leagues/divisions

aajreyno
    aajreyno's Avatar Become A Pro!

There is a ton of info you are going to need for this. I would suggest using fangraphs.com, scoresandodds.com, mlb.com and yahoo.com

dantanner
    dantanner's Avatar Become A Pro!

I doubt any of that will help you win money. If that is your purpose, save yourself a lot of time and abandon the project.

If you want to make money, just take home dogs with good odds to win one out of a three game series.
    If the odds are at +150 or better, you can profit no matter which game wins with little additional risk.

I don't care who wins in baseball as long as I do, and that's how I do it.

Terrapin Station
    Terrapin Station's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Quote Originally Posted by aajreyno View Post
    There is a ton of info you are going to need for this. I would suggest using fangraphs.com, scoresandodds.com, mlb.com and yahoo.com
    All great resources right there.

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Avoid laying juice of -150 or greater. I'm actually going to avoid laying juice all together this year.

Bullpens are very underrated when it comes to capping. I tend to find great value on Wednesday/Thursday afternoon travel games, when the lineups get shuffled to give vets, catchers and nagging injuries some rest.

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter
    Squirrel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Avoid laying juice of -150 or greater. I'm actually going to avoid laying juice all together this year.

Bullpens are very underrated when it comes to capping. I tend to find great value on Wednesday/Thursday afternoon travel games, when the lineups get shuffled to give vets, catchers and nagging injuries some rest.
    This. The sport is just tooo random to justify laying juice IMO, especially once you start topping -150. Concentrate on finding dogs in the right spots and you're on your way. Also helps to remember its basically a 50-50-62 sport .. every team from the best to the worst wins 50 and loses 50, its the other 62 that decide the standings.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

Quote Originally Posted by dantanner View Post
    I doubt any of that will help you win money. If that is your purpose, save yourself a lot of time and abandon the project.

If you want to make money, just take home dogs with good odds to win one out of a three game series.
    If the odds are at +150 or better, you can profit no matter which game wins with little additional risk.

I don't care who wins in baseball as long as I do, and that's how I do it.
    I don't get this... what if you win the 3rd game? -1, -1, +1.5 = -.5... that's a loss if it happens on the 3rd game of the series, no?

Squirrel
    Nutty Punter
    Squirrel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    I don't get this... what if you win the 3rd game? -1, -1, +1.5 = -.5... that's a loss if it happens on the 3rd game of the series, no?
    At a guess i'd say its a 3 game chase, the underdog odds mean the risk wouldnt be as great as it would if you were chasing no the -250 Redsox or something.

BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

anytips are appreciated, never really got into betting baseball but think i will give it a go this year.

RaginCajun
    RaginCajun's Avatar Become A Pro!

ive never really bet in general, but i know baseball the most and would be the easiest for me to get information about. well football too but we still need to see if there is even a season in 2011

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Identifying good 'under' teams or parks is one thing to consider taking the time to keep up with. The suggestion to not play favorites above -150 is also sound.

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

do not bet against streaks...if a team breaks a winning or losing streak bet on them the second game

BWest
    BWest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1019

Do not underestimate the cross-country factor. When LA, Sea, SF, SD, Oak, Angels go from a HOME stand to an East coast (EST) series, the first game is frequently a home team win regardless of pitching match-ups. Someone pointed out bullpens as a factor. This is HUGE in correctly capping MLB. Just ask the KC Royals whose bullpen sucked and blew tons of leads last season.

Reno Gambler
    Reno Gambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

I have never seen stats for 1st 5 innings on SP's and offense.
    I like to bet 1st 5 innings

tigerpaws
    tigerpaws's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

Here's something to remember when betting on Baseball :

1) Eliminate any game where the underdog has lost 3 or more games in a row Or the favorite has won 3 or more games in a row. You just gotta remember that every team goes on losing and winning streaks.

2) Eliminate games where the moneyline for the underdog is higher than +150 and if you see a ML this high, you know there has gotta be a reason why.

3) Eliminate games where the underdog is facing a VERY good pitcher. If they are facing a pitcher who is in the top 20 of MLB you should move on to another game. (Remember we are talking ERA's)

Yes,you would eliminate alot of games, but your chances of winning would increase..

Just a thought and helpful hint..BOL!!

OnlyMayo
    OnlyMayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

Quote Originally Posted by tigerpaws View Post
    Here's something to remember when betting on Baseball :

1) Eliminate any game where the underdog has lost 3 or more games in a row Or the favorite has won 3 or more games in a row. You just gotta remember that every team goes on losing and winning streaks.

2) Eliminate games where the moneyline for the underdog is higher than +150 and if you see a ML this high, you know there has gotta be a reason why.

3) Eliminate games where the underdog is facing a VERY good pitcher. If they are facing a pitcher who is in the top 20 of MLB you should move on to another game. (Remember we are talking ERA's)

Yes,you would eliminate alot of games, but your chances of winning would increase..

Just a thought and helpful hint..BOL!!
    Nice...