Punter4Life
    Punter4Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 124

Fantasy Baseball Question

At what point in your draft do you take a risk on a player that might have a breakout season?

aajreyno
    aajreyno's Avatar Become A Pro!

When you gut tells you to. This year, Jeremy Hellickson is ranked in the 120's on Yahoo, meaning he will be an 10th-12th round pick. I believe Hellickson is going to have a fantastic season and in my draft, I would take him around round 8. So maybe to answer your question, take your breakout player a round or two before his average draft position (ADP). Hope this helps!

Terrapin Station
    Terrapin Station's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Agree. Right when your gut tells you. Although, that has burned me a couple times recently, namely with Kyle Blanks last year...

CapsFan
    CapsFan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd say in the late teens is when you want to start going for the breakout players. Thats when I went for Brian Matusz and Wade Davis last year

mebaran
    Con los terroristas
    mebaran's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

Part of drafting well is listening to what your people you are drafting with are talking about. If you really have your eye on somebody and you hear another person talking about him, you should maybe reach for him a round earlier than you think. In my leagues, this tends to happen with SP's. So Hellickson will go super early in my league, and therefore, is not worth it anymore.

On average though, you don't really see anyone "risky" ranked too high.

Punter4Life

Lots of good ideas, thanks.

SportsLockPicks
    SportsLockPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 562

never before round 3-4, I learned that with Kemp last year...normally with me, I'll pass on a possible breakout to get B level pitchers...that is what wins leagues imo.

swaindexter
    swaindexter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4563

Quote Originally Posted by aajreyno View Post
    When you gut tells you to. This year, Jeremy Hellickson is ranked in the 120's on Yahoo, meaning he will be an 10th-12th round pick. I believe Hellickson is going to have a fantastic season and in my draft, I would take him around round 8. So maybe to answer your question, take your breakout player a round or two before his average draft position (ADP). Hope this helps!
    Right on da money..............

Punter4Life

How much credit do you guys give sites/publications on their top players list? From what I've read everyone has basically the same top 20-25 players just ranked/rated differently and I'm not concerned with rounds 1-7 as we have 12 teams in our seasonal league but one rule that makes it tough is no team can have more than four players from one team and we're not allowed to have more than two players from the same team in the daily line-up.

SportsLockPicks
    SportsLockPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 562

good pitching and career .300+ hitters who don't strike out

Jackson Hole
    Jackson Hole's Avatar Become A Pro!

It all really depends on the size of once roster in their leagues.

Last year I drafted Heyward high, and was able to trade to a Brave fan in my league, this was the only reason I reached on him.

KeaniniKuulei
    KeaniniKuulei's Avatar Become A Pro!

Once you have filled a decent starting lineup.....IMO no reason to take chances until your holes are filled.

goblue1988
    goblue1988's Avatar Become A Pro!

Max Scherzer -- in for a monster season.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

where do you guys do fantasy leagues?

im thinking about using mastersfantasybaseballleagues.com

dabomguy11
    dabomguy11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

I'd definitely not want to take "big chances" until pretty late. You're definitely going to have to fill most of your starting lineups, everything if not your C position, and at least two or three top SP and at least one CL. You miss on a pretty high pick, and you're going to have to make up a lot of ground via waiver wire.

Jasonal_98
    Jasonal_98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 237

You've got to have all of your other needs covered. If the breakout comes through, you've got great trade bait. If he doesn't, you lost a late pick.