BeatingBaseball
    It's all about the price
    BeatingBaseball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

There's one thing they failed to mention in the article on the amateur scouting/drafting of Albert Pujols. The guy who was running the 1999 June draft for the Cardinals and who made the usually meaningless 402nd pick - the dumb-luckiest pick of his life - was John Mozeliak.

Mozeliak is now GM of the Cardinals. He got the job when they fired Walt Jocketty. So the 402nd pick of the '99 amateur draft actually created not one significant big league career - but two.

bhssoccer89
    bhssoccer89's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9857

bartlett represent

i think zambrano finally gets it together. will be an all star

mebaran
    Con los terroristas
    mebaran's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

Quote Originally Posted by bhssoccer89 View Post
    bartlett represent

i think zambrano finally gets it together. will be an all star
    B-townnation. Rep it.

As far as Zambrano being an All-Star, we will see. If he can tap into the talent he showed at the end of last year, there's no doubt in my mind he can win 14-15 games with a 3.50 ERA (I think Quade being the manager is a HUGE plus for this team. He relates to the players better than Lou Piniella did, especially the hot head Zambrano).

More likely though, he'll probably have an ERA closer to 4...

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Question for all fantasy players: Depending on the league and whether or not it is a keeper league, is Bryce Harper worth a throw away pick in the last round of the draft? I don't think he'll get playing time in the MLB for at least a season and a half. He's too great of an asset to not take their time with.

VegasPlayer
    VegasPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6319

Great to see you with your own thread. I'll be checking in from time to time. Like the dog slant. Let's see how it goes. I think the O's make some noise this year too. Don't have much opinion until the games count for real. Have a great season.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

Quote Originally Posted by mebaran View Post
    Question for all fantasy players: Depending on the league and whether or not it is a keeper league, is Bryce Harper worth a throw away pick in the last round of the draft? I don't think he'll get playing time in the MLB for at least a season and a half. He's too great of an asset to not take their time with.
    I don't think the nats will bring him up before June to save on his arb clock. With that being said, are you in a really competitive league? Is it 10, 12, 14 team? If it's competitive and above a 10 team league, then ya, I see no reason not to draft him late. I'll usually drop my last couple players anyways by mid April, so it wouldn't do that much harm. If you have a bunch of guys who are injury prone though, you're likely to need that extra spot. Did you draft a healthy team? Will I ever draft him? Probably not, but if the nats are in the playoff hunt come mid june (and harper is playing alright down in the minors), maybe the bring him up.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Quote Originally Posted by VegasPlayer View Post
    Great to see you with your own thread. I'll be checking in from time to time. Like the dog slant. Let's see how it goes. I think the O's make some noise this year too. Don't have much opinion until the games count for real. Have a great season.
    Hey VegasPlayer, nice of you to drop by! I appreciate any input any time, brotha.

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    I don't think the nats will bring him up before June to save on his arb clock. With that being said, are you in a really competitive league? Is it 10, 12, 14 team? If it's competitive and above a 10 team league, then ya, I see no reason not to draft him late. I'll usually drop my last couple players anyways by mid April, so it wouldn't do that much harm. If you have a bunch of guys who are injury prone though, you're likely to need that extra spot. Did you draft a healthy team? Will I ever draft him? Probably not, but if the nats are in the playoff hunt come mid june (and harper is playing alright down in the minors), maybe the bring him up.
    12 team league, but it is really a tough one. Every person that drafted has a ton of baseball smarts. Should be a fun league. Excellent point about the health of the team too. That seems to be something I usually back myself into a corner in (for instance, I will probably draft Kendry Morales in every league this year).

Punter4Life
    Punter4Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 124

Just to remind you, I've been checking out your thread and like what I'm seeing.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Quote Originally Posted by Punter4Life View Post
    Just to remind you, I've been checking out your thread and like what I'm seeing.
    I appreciate it, Punter. Like I said before, everyone is welcome to post opinions/leans and any useful info.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

There may or may not be plays posted in the next 6 days. I am in Florida on vacation until Sunday and getting to a computer (and my models) is a little difficult.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Possible play on the Astros opening day

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

First play of the year!

Tigers +155

bhssoccer89

Jeez my book had it at +137

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Jeez my book had it at +137
    Quite surprised myself when I saw that line. Got it at bookmaker late last night...however, the game has gone haywire..

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Tigers 5th starter Coke has some more to prove apparently. Yanks win their billionth opening day game in a row...oh well. Still satisfied with my play and more satisfied with the number I got.

2-4 possible plays for tomorrow. to everyone for tonight's game

Today: 0-1, -1.00 units
    Overall: 0-1, -1.00 units

BeatingBaseball
    It's all about the price

You had the right side, Meb - esp at that price.

One pitch - one swing - that FB up and over to Tex - and I think Dale Scott behind the plate had a lot to do with it. Scott misses piitches on the corners and he missed one (strike 3) to Jeter before the bomb. I think Verlander was feeling a little squeeze that forced him to use more of the plate than he would have liked to - esp with 2 men on and only 1 out.

At any rate, we made the right play. Only wish we could play it 100 times at that price.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Quote Originally Posted by BeatingBaseball View Post
    You had the right side, Meb - esp at that price.

One pitch - one swing - that FB up and over to Tex - and I think Dale Scott behind the plate had a lot to do with it. Scott misses piitches on the corners and he missed one (strike 3) to Jeter before the bomb. I think Verlander was feeling a little squeeze that forced him to use more of the plate than he would have liked to - esp with 2 men on and only 1 out.

At any rate, we made the right play. Only wish we could play it 100 times at that price.
    That's why they play 162, eh?

Longgggg season, lots of opportunities to eat some of that cake...

bhssoccer89

hey man one loss is nothing in the long run i still believe

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Today's plays:

Astros +225
    Blue Jays -129

What can I say? Astros at this price are worth a shot. Their best chance at winning is trying to work the count as long as they can. And for the Jays, I am a HUGE fan of Romero this year. It always seems like he flys under the radar, but he is a tough lefty for the Twins to face.

on everyone's plays today. I'll be out today, soaking up some sun on Redington Beach in the Gulf.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Tigers 5th starter Coke has some more to prove apparently. Yanks win their billionth opening day game in a row...oh well. Still satisfied with my play and more satisfied with the number I got.

2-4 possible plays for tomorrow. to everyone for tonight's game

Today: 0-1, -1.00 units
    Overall: 0-1, -1.00 units
    Today: 1-1, +0.00 units (assuming the Jays don't blow it..)
    Overall: 1-2, -1.00 units

Again, I am happy with the way the day went. Myers had a great day on the hump, only to have his pen betray him. That's two games in as many days that I have lost due to bullpen arms not being able to get outs. Let this be a lesson to everyone that you absolutely have to factor in bullpens and bullpen health into your equations...

BeatingBaseball
    It's all about the price

The fact that the bullpens are often so shaky has caused me to make more 5 inning bets every year, meb. Look at the White Sox today - they led 14-0 after 5 and their pen did all they could to make it interesting by giving up 10 in the last four innings.

If you look at these first two days - both Verlander and Myers at least pushed the 5 inning play. And with the Brewers yesterday I cashed the First 5 play on Gallardo before the pen spit up the full game bet bottom 9.

In a case where you like a substantially favored pitcher and have to lay a price - it's getting harder to justify laying that price for 9 inn since few bullpens are worth laying it. If you're not ahead after 5 - you're usually taking the worst of it and wouldn't want the bet anyway.

In cases like Verlander and Myers, where you like a pitcher who you feel is a live dog in the matchup - if you bet them for both 5 and 9 you have two shots at a profit - one with your starter and another against the opposition bullpen. And if you can split the two plays you turn a profit.
    Last edited by BeatingBaseball; 04-01-11 at 10:43 PM.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Quote Originally Posted by BeatingBaseball View Post
    The fact that the bullpens are often so shaky has caused me to make more 5 inning bets every year, meb. Look at the White Sox today - they led 14-0 after 5 and their pen did all they could to make it interesting by giving up 10 in the last four innings.

If you look at these first two days - both Verlander and Myers at least pushed the 5 inning play. And with the Brewers yesterday I cashed the First 5 play on Gallardo before the pen spit up the full game bet bottom 9.

In a case where you like a substantially favored pitcher and have to lay a price - it's getting harder to justify laying that price for 9 inn since few bullpens are worth laying it. If you're not ahead after 5 - you're usually taking the worst of it and wouldn't want the bet anyway.

In cases like Verlander and Myers, where you like a pitcher who you feel is a live dog in the matchup - if you bet them for both 5 and 9 you have two shots at a profit - one with your starter and another against the opposition bullpen. And if you can split the two plays you turn a profit.
    Great points as usual. I haven't looked into 1st 5 inning bets in depth, mainly because I have some trouble pricing them, but will have to take a deeper look.

No plays for today, I am travelling back to Chicago today. I'll be back Sunday afternoon and may have some night game plays then.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Have a few plays incoming shortly...

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

CHW/CLE Under 9 -115

bhssoccer89

dam dude i already played the over. at least one of us will win

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

dam dude i already played the over. at least one of us will win
    Bud...

Might have some plays for the later games, just got back from vacation, so I'm scrambling to cap some games last minute.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

CHW/CLE Under 9 -115
    Experimenting with some new 1st half plays (courtesy of Beating Baseball who lit a fire in the creative area of my brain):

1H Cardinals -165

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

CHW/CLE Under 9 -115

Experimenting with some new 1st half plays (courtesy of Beating Baseball who lit a fire in the creative area of my brain):

1H Cardinals -165
    Pirates +153 (TWO UNITS)

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

First of the season, ladies and gentlemen. Last few innings of the Cubs game were a little intense, but we cash our plays.

Today: 3-0, +5.06 units
    Overall: 4-2, +4.06 units

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

A few preliminary plays that I booked last night:

Braves +100
    ATL/MIL Under 9 -120

Pirates +150

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

A few preliminary plays that I booked last night:

Braves +100
    ATL/MIL Under 9 -120

Pirates +150
    Also rolling with Tigers +110

BeatingBaseball
    It's all about the price

First of the season, ladies and gentlemen.
    May it be the first of many. Nice day, Mebs.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Braves +100
    ATL/MIL Under 9 -120

Pirates +150
    Tigers +110
    Twins +150

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Up a unit with the Twins and Pirates left to play...

mebaran
    Con los terroristas

Today: 3-2, +1.50 units
    Overall: 7-4, +5.56 units

First 12345 ... Last