Chance Harper
    Chance Harper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is Yankees' postseason string a good bet to end?

Is Yankees' postseason string a good bet to end?

Injuries are starting to mount for some teams as the push towards the playoffs gets into full swing with just seven weeks left in the season. The New York Yankees have been hit particularly hard on the mound, and must travel to Minnesota to take on the Twins in a crucial AL series without their big hurler Job Chamberlain. Could this be the beginning of the end to New York's 13-year postseason streak?

It must be August already. You can tell, because MLB pitchers are dropping like Fannie Mae. Chris Carpenter and Jose Contreras had short comebacks from injury. Tim Wakefield is on the shelf. Dustin McGowan, Tim Hudson, John Smoltz – all out for the season.

The good news for handicappers is that these injuries add volatility to the betting market. If you see an unfamiliar name in the pitching projections, you pounce and find out everything you can about that person. Everything else about these injuries is bad news. Pitchers are pushing themselves, and are being pushed, beyond their physical capacity. If these were racehorses, suffice to say they wouldn’t be looking at Tommy John surgery.

Modern medicine continues to make huge strides when it comes to injuries like torn labrums and frayed rotator cuffs. Meanwhile, I don’t think I’ve seen or heard the word “prehab” in four years. I know it’s out there… here we go, a blog entry about Joba Chamberlain over at the New York Times. In the refreshingly smart comments. Judging by Chamberlain’s physique, I’d say his prehab routine included funnel cakes.

Yankees at Twins
    Game 1: Monday, 8:10 p.m. Eastern

NYY: Sidney Ponson
    MIN: Glen Perkins

Game 2: Tuesday, 8:10 p.m.
    NYY: Mike Mussina
    MIN: Nick Blackburn

Game 3: Wednesday, 1:10 p.m.
    NYY: Darrell Rasner
    MIN: Kevin Slowey

With Chamberlain and Chien-Ming Wang on the DL, the Yankees are in danger of losing touch in the AL East. They’ve fallen to 63-55 (-10.73 units), 8.5 games behind the Tampa Bay Rays and four games off the pace in the Wild Card race. Ian Kennedy wasn’t the answer, so Darrell Rasner (5.28 ERA, 4.77 xFIP) is the projected pitcher for Wednesday’s game. That’s assuming they don’t pull the trigger on a Jarrod Washburn trade, or bring in Freddy Garcia.

The Twins were swept three straight at Yankee Stadium last month, but they’re 10-6 since then, feeding off a steady diet of also-rans like Cleveland and Seattle. Still, Minnesota has played well enough this year to rack up 18.12 units in profits on the moneyline and a tremendous 27.53 units on the runline. The Twins are also –125 favorites for the series opener with a total of 9.5 runs. That might be a little kind to Glen Perkins; he might be 8-3, but his 4.38 ERA and 4.91 xFIP are not much better than Sir Sidney Ponson (4.72 ERA, 5.09 xFIP for New York). Mmmm, funnel cakes.

Phillies at Dodgers
    Game 1: Monday, 10:10 p.m. ET (ESPN2)

PHI: Kyle Kendrick
    LAD: Derek Lowe

Game 2: Tuesday, 10:10 p.m.
    PHI: Cole Hamels
    LAD: Clayton Kershaw

Game 3: Wednesday, 10:10 p.m.
    PHI: Joe Blanton
    LAD: Brad Penny

Game 4: Thursday, 10:10 p.m.
    PHI: Mike Myers
    LAD: Hiroki Kuroda

At least there’s some good news on the injury front. Brad Penny (5.66 ERA, 5.02 xFIP) is making his second start since coming off the DL; in his first, he allowed one run to the Giants on one hit and three walks in five innings. It was a relatively short outing – 76 pitches – but it was much more like the Penny who went to the All-Star Game in 2006 and 2007.

If the Dodgers have their pitching sorted out, they’re gold for the rest of the season. Manny Ramirez has been even better than could be hoped for, going 17-for-37 in nine games with four home runs and a 1.350 OPS. However, the Dodgers dropped two of three to both the Cardinals and Giants on their six-game road swing, and are now 1.5 games out of first place in the National League West at 58-59 (-8.77 units).

Philadelphia (64-53, -0.71 units) is two games up in the NL East and pegged at +120 in Monday’s opener, with a total of eight runs. The Phillies are coming off a 3-3 home stand, capped off by a pair of wins over Pittsburgh.

ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!

end it
    they are toast

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I said this more than 6 weeks ago only to be ridiculed.

ryanXL977

once joba went down it was sealed
    their bullpen is smoke and mirrors, jeter and arod kill them on a daily basis.

only a yanks homer thinks this is a 90 win team, much less a playoff team
    they arent that good

fifawcs
    fifawcs's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ryan, there is still a lot of baseball left. The Rays have been winning lately only because of the opponents they are facing. I just looked at their september calendar and they have it pretty tough. 6 games versus the Yanks, 6 versus the Red Sox, and 4 versus Detroit. We will see if they last. After following the Yanks since 96, I can say with confidence that it's never over until it's over.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by fifawcs View Post
    Ryan, there is still a lot of baseball left. The Rays have been winning lately only because of the opponents they are facing. I just looked at their september calendar and they have it pretty tough. 6 games versus the Yanks, 6 versus the Red Sox, and 4 versus Detroit. We will see if they last. After following the Yanks since 96, I can say with confidence that it's never over until it's over.
    You are correct. After they get swept by Twins will be over.

ryanXL977

the rays will win the east, they are better than the yanks
    they have a pen
    they have starters
    and they have team speed

yanks arent good
    why would anyone suggest they are good? whats good about them? their uniforms?

they have horrible, HORRIBLE, starters

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!
    fiveteamer's Avatar Become A Pro!

They folded against the Angels.

ryanXL977

i know there are 6 weeks leftm i understand baseball
    i just dont think the yanks will make the playoffs, they arent very good
    they just dont hit

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanXL977 View Post
    once joba went down it was sealed
    their bullpen is smoke and mirrors, jeter and arod kill them on a daily basis.

only a yanks homer thinks this is a 90 win team, much less a playoff team
    they arent that good
    Honestly, the guy is batting .315 with 73 runs, 26 HRs, 70 RBIs, and that is in only 98 games.

I'm sick of this stupid shit. I understand he isn't well liked and I understand he sucks in the playoffs but during the regular season he is a top 3 offensive player every single year. Enough with this stupid shit about how he kills them.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

I hope so. New blood.

moneyline
    moneyline's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pavy predicted the Yanks wouldn't make the playoffs last year as well ... and the year before that ...

Pavy, meet your long-lost cousin, the broken clock ... both of you are right at least twice a day ...

(but, then again, you might just be wrong yet AGAIN this year ... time will tell)

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!

I agree with kingsfan, and I hate a-rod. The guy does nothing but put up huge numbers. Not his fault his agent is a douche bag.

ryanXL977

who cares what numbers he puts up
    every time he comes up with 2 outs and runners on, he ****s up
    he is a fantasy stud, but he doesnt get it done when it matters
    ever

Bread
    Living corpse
    Bread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

the rays will win the east, they are better than the yanks
    they have a pen
    they have starters
    and they have team speed

yanks arent good
    why would anyone suggest they are good? whats good about them? their uniforms?

they have horrible, HORRIBLE, starters
    Carl Crawford might be out for the year. That sucks.

ryanXL977

tb will win more than the yanks with or without craford

why? they have a bullpen, they have team speed, and they have starters not named ponson, ian kennedy, and dan giese

what a joke

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!

Well, the Yankees have like, 6 cleanup hitters in their lineup, but avg. starting pitching and a horrible pen.

Bread
    Living corpse
    Bread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

I still think the Rays can do it. Just a tough loss.

It sure as hell won't be the Spankees taking the division from them.

ryanXL977

who are the six cleanup hitterS? jeter isnt good, damon is not a cleanup hitter

i guess you are saying nady and arod

has nady ever won a team anything?

yanks arent good, they have no chemistry. their infield defense ****ing sucks ass

their pen is god awful

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

who cares what numbers he puts up
    every time he comes up with 2 outs and runners on, he ****s up
    he is a fantasy stud, but he doesnt get it done when it matters
    ever
    In baseball, hitting .300 over the course of a season is very impressive.

That means that even players batting an extremely impressive .320 will only get hits 16 out of every 50 at bats.

With a team like the Yankees that always has runners on, it will create the illusion that he "doesn't get it done when it matters", but 26 HRs and 70 RBIs can not be ignored. How does he have 70 RBIs if he never drives in runs? And do runs only matter in the bottom of the 9th?

Arguing that Arod hurts his team more then helps them over the course of the regular season is flat out retarded.

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!

I think for many years Jeter was leadoff hitter for the Yankees, guy will finish with 3000 hits. On just about any team he'd have been in the 3 spot for 15,16 years. Giambia- A-rod Matsui guys like that, Abreu, these guys have all been cleanup hitters, and would be cleanup hitters on a lot of teams in the majors right now.

ryanXL977

arod should have about 150 rbis with damon and abreau on in front of him
    i watch every yanks game and the guy doesnt do it when it matters
    when they are up 7-0, he hits his homers

he is as worthless as george bush

ryanXL977

if they had matsui and posada, healthy, then yes, they would make the loffs, if they had joba too

but you cant overcome losing guys like that, those are all stars
    thats why they wont make the playoffs, and if yanks fans cant see that, they are blind as bats

moneyline

When they make the playoffs this year, will you promise to shut the f&*^ up? Or will you then move on to bitching about how they were supposed to make it and then start to whine regarding their inability to get past the 1st round?

Bo-ring ...

ryanXL977

want to wager? or would you rather just keep sucking their dicks bc youa re a yanks fan

moneyline

Been sucking them since I was five years old, back in 1974 ... it's been the most rewarding oral sex any fan could have in MLB during the past 30+ years ...

(unless there is a team that's done better than them during that stretch ... if so, please elaborate, Ry ...)

-- oh, and answer the fooking question -- will you shut the f*&^ up if they make the playoffs this year? Or will you keep whining like a Stepford Wife?

ryanXL977

man, those yanks are aweome
    how have they done since 2000? have they won it all like boston 2x? florida? az? or st louis? or the chisox?
    or do they shrink when it matters most, every single one of them

but i guess since you are a fan, you must support a mediocre team with no chance of winning the division at all

go home team!

fiveteamer
    Sweet berry wine!!!

i dont like the yankees, matter of fact I hate the yankees (I'm a Jays fan). But I respect the Yankees.

ryanXL977

i dont hate the yanksa t all
    and i thought they would win their division the last 3 years
    but you cant overcome losing japsui, posada and joba
    you cant
    they have no pen, none, they have no starters worth a shit, mussina is a #3 as is pettite
    i love watching yanks games but they arent good

moneyline

Funny. No chance of winning the division makes one mediocre?

Tell that to Florida back in 1997 ... or Arizona in 2001 ... Or the Sox in 2004 ...

Go Home Team!!!

(especially when you've made the playoffs 13 years in a row ... have won more championships than any team since 1903 ... or, since 1974 ... or since 1994 ... the latter are when I've been a fan ... it's been great!)

ryanXL977

ian kennedy
    sidney ponson
    darrell rasner
    dan giese
    no japsui
    no posada
    no joba

thats why they wont make the playoffs
    enjoy your summer
    you will get used to it, the yanks are done

ryanXL977

i will wager anyone in here yanks wont make the loffs
    lemme know

fifawcs
    fifawcs's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ryan, we should do some kind of an avatar bet. You guys are forgetting a few details about the Yankees recent series with the Angels. Number 1: The Yankee offense produced and had a chance to win all three games had the bullpen not screwed it up. Number 2: You shouldn't generalize about every player in the bullpen since not everyone screwed up. Edwar and Veras did. Marte pitched well for a guy having to go 2 innings. Mariano pitched well but the defense lost the last game for them. The main culprit here is Edwar. Veras has proven himself time and time again. Edwar has yet to convince me much except for the no hit inning streak he had a couple weeks ago.

I may be a Yankee fan but I am no homer. If the Red Sox were in the same position as the Yanks I would say don't count them out since I realize the talent on their team. Anyone who would like to fade the Yanks for the rest of the season will stand to lose a lot of money. Take them tonight. I promise you won't be sorry.

ryanXL977

i am not saying yanks wont win tonite, i have no idea. all i am saying is this, this is not the same yanks
    they dont hit like they should. so they had a chance to win the angels series and games, of course they had a chance
    most teams have a chance to win every single game they are in. rarely does a team get creamed in 3 straight with no runners on and no chance to score

i am not counting the yankis out, all i am saying is they wont make the playoffs. thats my prediction, i would rather the yanks make it than the bosox bc i hate the bosox
    but the yanks arent good, they have no pitching, no team speed, no range on defense, no clutch hitting

moneyline

Ryan is a bit young ... it shows in his writing ... very reactionary without a lot of thought.

Case in point -- he keeps ripping Ponson who has done a very good job as a Yankee ... when he threw 7 shutout innings against the Angels, Ry said he pitched like garbage.

Just look at statements like "I am not counting the Yanks out, all I am saying is they wont make the playoffs."

(uh, Ry, that is counting the Yanks out, in case you didn't know ...)

12 Last