PhilRizzo
    PhilRizzo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Colorado Rockies (FWIW)

Well everyone, here is my opinion of the Rockies this year. I've been an avid Rockies fan ever since the franchise was born. I was a season ticket holder two years ago and made it to coors numerous times last year. I watched almost every game on TV as well. This is just my opinion of them so take it for what it's worth.

First of all, I want to say that these guys could be serious money burners this year if you pick against them. They have a lot of young talent in a weak division. Most of these guys played last year so they are not all that green. Don't forget about a healthy Todd Helton. Last season the Rockies had the best record in the West over the last 2 months of the season. They have a decent pitching roation with Jennings, Cook, Francis, B-Y Kim and ?? . Their bullpen will be improved from last year (they added Ray King and Jose Mesa) and is actually the best they have had for quite some time. They also have a proven closer this year (Brian Fuentes) who saved 31 games out of 33 opportunities. What does this mean?

They won't win the west, but they will battle in every single game they play. Young teams tend to do that and they did it in the second half last year. I think they have a strong possibilty of getting close to .500 this year. Their are a few matchups that stick out to me though.

First of all, Jason Jennings is not the best pitcher on the staff. Over the last three seasons, Jennings has been unpredictable. He goes through fases where he pitches lights out, only to come back the next game and not be able to get a pitch across the plate. When he sruggles at Coors, he struggles even worse on the road. Aaron Cook is the best pitcher on the staff. He was having an amazing season in 04 before they found blood clots. He will prove that he is money this year. Jeff Francis is also a young gun. This kid needs a little more time to develop, but will be lights out when it all comes together. He showed it at times last year.

B-Y Kim was injured last week and is on the 15 day disabled list to start the season. Also, their projected 5 spot Soo-Wo Kim pulled his hammy on March 15th and has not pitched in the spring. That means that the Rockies were scrambling the last couple of days to find the 4 and 5 spots. They settled on Zach Day and Josh Fogg today. Day has been in the Bigs for awhile, but got rocked in his last spring outting. He has yet to prove that he has the stuff that starters are made of. Fogg is a relative unknown. He pitched some great spring games after coming back from an early spring injury, but he's a minor league guy. Both of these guys will pitch minor league games tomorrow to get ready for their starts later next week. "This isn't Kansas anyomore fellas." These two will get rocked, I will bet against them, especially in their first starts. Another major weakness for these guys is their lack of a true leadoff hitter. This could be their achilles in the end.

That's all I have for now. If you have any question throughout the year, I'll do my best to answer them. Also, if you agree or disagree with me, I would love to talk about it. Thanks and good luck this season all!!
    Last edited by PhilRizzo; 04-02-06 at 02:13 PM.

darkghost
    darkghost's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10547

Here's another sign that Colorado will have a better than expected season. The future wager for their season totals has gone up steadily since opening at 67.5 & now sits at 70 so somebody's expecting them to get 70+ wins this year.

Alamorich
    Alamorich's Avatar Become A Pro!

Correct me if I'm wrong but Rockies have been horrible away from Coors field. I lost track of them the last couple of months last year as I was not playing bases all that much. If there is money to be made on that team it will be because they are winning roadies. One of the odd things about Rockie games is the high totals at Coors. I was reading today that over the last two years the Under has actually been the better play.

PhilRizzo
    PhilRizzo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Alamorich
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Rockies have been horrible away from Coors field. I lost track of them the last couple of months last year as I was not playing bases all that much. If there is money to be made on that team it will be because they are winning roadies. One of the odd things about Rockie games is the high totals at Coors. I was reading today that over the last two years the Under has actually been the better play.
    They have been absolutley horrible on the road the last three years. They went through almost an entire season without winning a road series in o4.

The thing about Coors is that it receives so much publicity as being a hitters park. They talk about how pitchers who sign with the rockies are signing their death certificates. Generally speaking you are going to see higher scoring games in the Rocky Mountain air. However, it has become a bit of a myth. The public see's that a certain game is at Coors and automaticly says "I'll take the over." Therefore, the totals are set way to high. I have not looked at the stats, but I would imagine you are right about the under being a better bet.