jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Willis A Shoe In Now For Cy Young

No one close

Guy was had a great year

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Chris Carpenter is 21-4 with a lower ERA than Willis and he pitches for the National League's best team. It would be a travesty if Carpenter didn't win the NL Cy Young. If Willis wins it, it will simply be because of the media and all his hype, not because his stats or performance was better. Carpenter is the best pitcher in either league this season.

Senator 7

Emmdoubleu
    Emmdoubleu's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am with the Senator on this one. Would love to hear the argument for Willis

jjgold

Willis=no offense

Willis would of won 30 with Cards

Senator7

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold
    Willis=no offense

If you're going to make this assumption, Roger Clemens would be 40-2 pitching for the Cardinals this year and would be a runaway winner of the National League Cy Young Award. Would've, Should've, Could've, Didn't!

Senator 7

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold
    Willis=no offense

That's tosh. In his 3 back-to-back losses in July, he was pitching with an ERA of 15.9. I don't think the offence of the All-Stars could save him from that.

As Senator7 said, going on stats, Carpenter is the only candidate.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

To say that any of the three (Clemens' ERA is 1.5, which is beyond unheard of in this day and age) is not a candidate is silly. They have all been incredible, and almost any other year, any would be a shoo in with their numbers.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Hear what you're saying, Razz, but an 11-7 season record so far is his total undoing.

He's lost the past 6 games, not pitching his best but he's still been pitching less than 3.5 ERA in those games which a lot of pitchers would take as a good patch. Only 8 runs scored on those 6 games as run support, three of them scoreless - I'd be pissed off if I was Clemens.

But saying Willis is a dead cert with no-one coming close? Now that's silly.

HAPPY BOY
    HAPPY BOY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

As A Marlins fan I think Carpenter will win the cy young, however if I had to start a pitcher Id take Willis. Did anyone see his HR yesterday. This dude is the total package. Hell theyve even put him to pinch hit.

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

Carpenter may win the Cy Young but if the NLCS was to go to a game 7, I would want Clemens on the mound over the other 2. He can shut people down. Carpenter also has a very solid defense behind him which always helps the ERA.

jjgold

In a game 7 I still would want Willis, young and strong

Clemens looks like he os slowing down now

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd rather have smoltz in a game 7 over anyone.

THESCOUT
    THESCOUT's Avatar Become A Pro!

looks that way

raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15306

Clemens was by far the most dominant SP this year. It's not his fault he got no run support.

Senator7

When people are voting on the Cy Young Award, you don't take into account what he could've done or who'd you rather have if your life depended on it. Its about pitching stats, and right now, Carpenter is head and shoulders in the league. I will admit that Willis is more dominant and that Clemens is one of the top 5 pitchers ever. But this season, neither of their stats match those of Carpenter and that's all that should matter when voting on the Cy Young Award.

Senator 7

OldeTymePlaya
    OldeTymePlaya's Avatar Become A Pro!

Willis isn't a shoe-in, that's crazy.

scottric
    scottric's Avatar Become A Pro!

Willis is NOT a shoe-in UNLESS he dominates in his remaining starts AND Florida wins the wild card. I was initially going to say that Clemens should get it but with him having 10 less wins than Carpenter/Willis it is hard to make that argument. However, Clemens will still go down as the greatest pitcher of this generation and will be in the Hall of Fame on first vote.

In the end, I really do think it is a toss-up between Carpenter and Willis. St. Louis just has such a phenomenal team people take them for granted. That may also turn into Pujols getting overlooked again for MVP.