moneyline
    moneyline's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why baseball is amazing ...

How can Betemit, Cabrera and Gardner all consecutively get hits and then ...

Jeter, Abreu and ARod all consecutively strike out ...

Against the same pitcher within the same 15 minute period of time?

Amazing!

ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!

jeter sucks

fifawcs
    fifawcs's Avatar Become A Pro!

The weirder thing is that the Yankee's success always hinges on the bottom of that lineup playing well. When guys like Melky and Cano play well, so do the Yankees.

ryanXL977

alll the yanks need to do is deal for randy wolf or someone of that caliber and they should get the wc

ryanXL977

this is why the yanks suck, inning after inning they leave 2 risp
    oak gets a guy on third and immediatley gets him in

f jeter and f arod
    they suck ass

fifawcs

The Yanks shouldn't get Randy Wolf, he's not worth it. Their pitching is not what needs adjustment. Pettitte, Joba, Mussina, Ponson, and Rasner have been working. Well, Rasner is a little shaky. But he will be sent down once Wang comes back. You also have to remember Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy are still working out their kinks. There is no point in getting a starting pitcher. The Bullpen is also looking good. You can't argue with the 8th best bullpen in the majors. It seems like hitting is the Yankee's only concern. Cashman is hoping that the Yanks will start to get their swing back before the trade deadline.

The Yanks have some of the best pitching prospects in the majors. You may not agree with Hughes and Kennedy being good, but they haven't played to their potential yet.

ryanXL977

dude, every time the yanks have a prospect, its supposed to be a big deal, nick johnson, andy phillips, ruben rivera, etc etc
    those pitchers, at least kennedy, suck ass
    kei igawa sucked, they always suck, they havent had a pitcher come up since pettite and those guys have proven nothing, especially in a pennant race

fifawcs

First of all, did you see the way Randy Wolf pitched when he came to Yankee Stadium? He was horrendous. That doesn't resonate well with management. Andy Phillips was actually very good when he was on the Yankees. The problem was that there were too many first basemen so they were forced to send him down to the minors. Cano and Melky are both very good prospects. While you may not agree that Phil Hughes is good, you have to admit that he has some nasty stuff.

Your statement doesn't hold true because sadly the Yankees have been trading away their prospects until 2006. Cashman is one of the smartest GMs in the game. He realizes that pennants are won with home grown talent that is complemented by hired help. The '98 Yanks were a purely home grown team. Posada, Jeter, Bernie Williams, and Mariano are examples of the kinds of players the Yankees want to cultivate within their farm system. I don't know of any baseball team that won a world series by buying players.

ryanXL977

randy wolf isnt my point, he is serviceable though, and rasner is not better than wolf. melky is a decent player, nothing special, same with cano.
    i agree yanks used to bring guys up, but name me a guy on their team who produces and came up thru the system? posada looks done to me, and jeter is an average hitter at best these days.

i just see no home grown guys on that team the way minnesota or the dodgers or the phils or the dbacks or the rays have.

ryanXL977

so it isnt the yanks pitching, its their hitting. when is it that posada and the rest will wake up
    matsui is out for the year.

fifawcs

Cano is a great hitter, although his numbers this season have not reflected that. Cano was amongst the AL batting leaders in his rookie year. Melky usually bats at around .300. You have to remember that the Yankees are a second half team. Expect them to gain a lot of ground on the Sox and the Rays by the end of the month. To answer your question about when they will wake up, the answer is now.
    And don't glorify the Ray's ability to raise young talent. They were in last place every year so they got 1st picks all these years. That doesn't take much talent. However, I do think getting Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett in exchange for Delmon
    Young was smart.

ryanXL977

rays drafted well and brought guys up, also traded well. yanks dont do those things.

i think yanks win the WC, but to say melky is anyhting more than an average hitter is kinda out there i think

posada is awful now, dunno why

ryanXL977

good teams dont leave 12 runners on
    and their pen is solid but 8th probably includes joba when he was there i assume?
    this veras kid is horrid

fifawcs

Veras is actually awesome. He is sucking right now. But he has been one of the reasons the Yanks pen is 8th. I think the pen is a lot better now that Torre is gone. Torre used to go to the same arms all the time and tire them out. Girardi uses all the guys and even trusts guys that Torre wouldn't even go near. A perfect example of that is Farnsworth. Since the Yanks got Farnsworth, the guy has sucked because Torre would never give him the ball in a tight game or would give it to him when he absolutely had no one else. This lowered Farnsworth's self-esteem to the point where he would constantly blow leads. But this year, Girardi, a former teammate of Farnsworth's, told him that he wants Farnsworth to emerge as the setup man. That is exactly what Farnsworth has done.

The Yankee pitching is not the issue at all. If this pitching was around when the Yankee offense was producing last year, they would have easily taken the East. The offense needs to produce.

Brady2Moss
    Brady2Moss's Avatar Become A Pro!

why do people think the yankees "should" be a good team year in and year out??

Just because they have a stacked payroll? That doesnt mean shit, look at the sports teams in the past that had stacked rosters, most of the time they lose.

ryanXL977

they have good hitters that arent hitting

Brady2Moss

Jeter, Arod, Giambi are the most overrated, overpayed players in the league

Brady2Moss

good hitters that arent hitting probably arent good hitters

ryanXL977

i mean i agree they are overrated but they are still good, arod, abreau , and giambi are anyhow

fifawcs

Brady2Moss, don't you agree it is almost impossible to be underrated in a market such as New York? You are an example of the kind of people who said the Rays will win the World Series just because they were playing well. You can't judge a player based on the way they are currently playing, rather their overall career stats.

woodg8
    woodg8's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Brady2Moss View Post
    Jeter, Arod, Giambi are the most overrated, overpayed players in the league
    Found it hilarious the yankees fans had the cheek to call Papelbon overrated, when theyve got the 3 most overrated players in the MLB. Riviera too, nice job saving there...

fifawcs

booya, this game is tied.