Martinez expects to miss opening day

March 22, 2006

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) -- New York Mets ace Pedro Martinez expects to miss opening day because of a nagging toe injury.

The three-time Cy Young Award winner has not pitched in a spring training game yet due to a sore right big toe and doesn't think he will be ready to start the season opener April 3 against the Washington Nationals at Shea Stadium.

"Unless I can work some magic, I don't think I'll have enough time," Martinez said Wednesday. "I need at least two outings. You're not going to throw me two innings in a game and expect me to go on opening day.

"That's not fair to me, my teammates or anybody."

Left-hander Tom Glavine, who turns 40 on Saturday, will likely start the opener for the Mets.

Martinez played long toss Wednesday, then finished the day with a short stint in the bullpen. He is slated to make his first Grapefruit League start Sunday against the Baltimore Orioles.

"I felt better today," he said. "Much more comfortable. I'm ready to get on the mound and finally get things going."

Martinez said he would trust anyone else in the Mets' rotation to start the opener, including "that old goat that's beside my locker," he joked, referring to Glavine.