bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ponson gets fifth spot in rotation

JUPITER, Fla. (AP) -- The St. Louis Cardinals gave Sidney Ponson their fifth starting spot on Wednesday when they optioned prospect Anthony Reyes to Triple-A Memphis.

The Cardinals also optioned left-handers Tyler Johnson and Carmen Cali and catcher Michael Hernandez to their minor league camp. Plus, manager Tony La Russa said right-hander Adam Wainwright, who had also been in contention for the fifth spot, is now trying out for a bullpen job.

Ponson signed a $1 million contract with the Cardinals after being released by the Baltimore Orioles last September because of alcohol-related problems. He was 7-11 with a 6.21 ERA last year, but won 17 games in 2003.

"He's gotten better every time, that's how I've been describing it," La Russa said. "He's got a history of durability and he's done as much in this camp as he could. It's all ahead of him, though."

La Russa said Reyes, 24, needed to work on pitch selection and concentrate less on power.

"The thing about Anthony is he can be a premier pitcher because he's got premier stuff," La Russa said. "He just needs to keep adding looks to the hitter."

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Ponson has had a pretty good spring so far. One nice stat is just 3 walks in 15 innings. One scary stat is the fact he's surrendered as many homers as free passes issued.

Alamorich
    Alamorich's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Sidney drinks.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Alamorich
    I think Sidney drinks.

hell yes he does rich. infact, i'm sure the press would find him out at the bars every night during the home stands.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hate Ponson. Everytime he's pitching like shit he busts out when I have him and vise versa. Some pitchers have my number and he's one of them.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

Sounds good, hopefully the other pitcher has a good comeback when they play the Cards with Ponson on the mound. That would be great.