bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Greatest Baseball Game I've Ever Seen

Ah, baseball. Does any game (hell, anything at all) cause such nostalgia in the American male? And here it is, almost spring, almost baseball season again...

So i put the question to you: What is the greatest single game you've seen?

For me, it's pretty easy. 1991 World Series, Game Seven.

Wow, i can remember so much about that one. Jack Morris going ten shutout innings, five double plays in the 7th-9th to kill rallies on both sides...but most of all, i remember coming back from the commercial break after the bottom of the ninth and Jim Kaat on the screen with a big smile on his face saying, "For those of you wondering about the precedent for this, well, there is no precedent for this." In other words, 1991 marked the first time game seven went into extra innings.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Games 3-4-5 of the 1980 NLCS still rank up there for me, plus Game 4 of the 2005 NLDS with Houston winning it in 18

presley177
    presley177's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee
    plus Game 4 of the 2005 NLDS with Houston winning it in 18

bigboydan

The other one i was thinking about was the 2003 ALCS, game 7. The Yanks came back against Red Sox and then Aaron Boone steps up and crushes the game winning shot off of Tim Wakefield.

Willie Bee

Quote Originally Posted by presley177
    That one leave a bad taste in your mouth or something, Presley?

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cleveland Indians greatest comeback in MLB history. I can't remember the particulars at the moment but it was as amazing as a regular season baseball game can be.

bigboydan

isetcap, i guess your refering to that 15 run rally, that was some game alright. i wonder how many people here took the really bad beat on that one.

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    isetcap, i guess your refering to that 15 run rally, that was some game alright. i wonder how many people here took the really bad beat on that one.
    LOL...only 15 runs...I guess it wasn't that big of a deal then. What organization is on the books for being on the other side of that record?

bigboydan

seattle was who they beat isetcap.

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    seattle was who they beat isetcap.
    Seattle must have so much negative energy left over from that game that they may never make it to the Series.

presley177

That one leave a bad taste in your mouth or something, Presley?
    I'm in Atlanta(although I'm a White Sox fan) and they had the game on 4 channels...really...it was nerve-wrecking(sp?) but I almost wanted to put tooth picks in my eyes for watching it that long! way...too...long!

Just makes me think how crazy the people who watched the White Sox/Brewers game way back when it went into the 25 or so innings was. I like scoring!

rnc123
    rnc123's Avatar Become A Pro!

My greatest game I every saw! I lost!

Seattle @ Cleveland 2001... Mariners record win year! Seattle up 14-2 bottom of the 7th, Cleveland scores 3 in the 7th...14-5, then 4 in the 8th...14-9 and then 5 in the 9th to tie 14-14. I had Seattle - 1.5 runs with a lead of 14-2. How could I lose? Yet in happened...done in by Kenny Lofton, who's run tied the score in the bottom of the 9th, and then he scored the winning run in the Cleveland 11th. One hell of a game, but I lost...atleast I got to see it on ESPN! Pitchers of record...Rocker got the win, Jose Paniagua received the loss. Lesson learned never bet on a man who's name means bread and water vs a guy named Rocker.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Jim Leyritz game - when the Yanks looked like they were about to go down 3-1 to the Braves in the '96 WS, and Leyritz hit a three-run shot to tie the game. Wohlers, who gave up the homer, never recovered, and neither did the Braves that year, as the Yankees went on to win the Series 4-2.
    It was most special because I am a Yankee fan, and that ended the longest WS drought in Yankees history - but it was a classic game regardless.

bigboydan

I remember that world series game as well Razz. If i remember correctly, the yankees were getting a nice price in that game too.

Dead Money
    Dead Money's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mine is actually the entire ALCS, the year the Sox won the World Series.

Down 3 games to 0 to the might Yankees, the Sox went on a tear . Winning 4 straight, and the 4 more in a row to sweep the Cardsin the WS.

Seemed like every game went into extra innings, and somehow The "idiots" seemed to find a nerve wrentching way to keep me up till 2 am every night.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4315

Game 4 of the 2005 NLDS with Houston winning it in 18
    That was one hell of a game. No one wanted to lose that game and it seemed like it was going to go on forever.

So I will have to agree, that is one of the best Ive seen.

Winston Smith
    Winston Smith's Avatar Become A Pro!

Game 6, 1985 World Series

But, really, in my short years, I'd have to go with Game 7 in '91

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

'95 ALDS when Seattle came back to beat New York. That was also one of the best series ever.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

With 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th inning in the first game of the 1988 World Series I was very young but I remember well,Kirk Gibson, despite injuries to both legs, went to bat as a pinch hitter.Athletics closer Dennis Eckersley was one pitch away from winning the first game when Gibson hit a two-run home run off into the right field this created the most memorable first game victory and set the winning tone for the rest of the series.

presley177

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94
    With 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th inning in the first game of the 1988 World Series I was very young but I remember well,Kirk Gibson, despite injuries to both legs, went to bat as a pinch hitter.Athletics closer Dennis Eckersley was one pitch away from winning the first game when Gibson hit a two-run home run off into the right field this created the most memorable first game victory and set the winning tone for the rest of the series.
    didn't the A's win the world series that year?

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by presley177
    didn't the A's win the world series that year?
    Nope. The A's made it to the World Series 3 years in a row, 1988-1990, but only won in 1989.

Jay Edgar
    Jay Edgar's Avatar Become A Pro!

Winner's in the first post, for my money --

Game 7, 1991.

The actual game, taken by itself, would have been incredibly compelling even on a Tuesday afternoon in May.

Then factor in the setting, which only comes around once every couple of years (WSG7), and the claustrophobic intensity of the crowd . . .

While many games have most all of the elements, this is the one game in my memory that had absolutely all of them. Plus the great Jack Buck.

This is my pick even though I had no real rooting interest in either team at the time. So it is getting the nod over many many great WS games that were life or death for me, who grew up in Boston (1967 G7, 1975 G6 and 7, 1986 G6, 2004 G4 for other reasons) and spent some years in St. Louis (1982 G7, 1985 G6 and 7).

Arthur Schechter
    Arthur Schechter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Age & Partisan Affiliation Often Dominate "Greatest Game Ever"

For this 46-year old Mets fan, "the greatest game ever" was played on July 4th 1985 in Atlanta between the Mets and Braves.

I can remember the '69 & '86 World Series triumphs (and they were great with breathtaking moments), but post-season games are often romanticized and glorified simply because of their importmance. However, to a guy who has seen more baseball games than I could count (and still wants more), this Independence day contest stands out as the all-timer in my book.

The night game was delayed by two lengthy rain delays. Then, it went extra innings. (I think "free baseball" are the two most beautiful words in the English language, with the worst two being "rain out").

The momentous event of the game came in extra innings. The Mets took the lead in the top half and Atlanta was down to its last out. The Braves had used up all their position players and were forced to utilize weak-hitting relief pitcher Rick Camp. The unimaginable happened as Camp homered off Tom Gorman to prolong the game. I can still see the shock on Len Dykstra and Danny Heep's face as the ball sailed over their heads in left-center field. The play reminds me of what makes baseball the greatest game in the world. It still surprises and delights and yes, frustrates. One-time Cardinals pitcher (and malaprop-king) Joaquin Andujar had an expression for moment's like this. He was quoted to say baseball comes down to one word..."youneverknow").

I also recall New York's Keith Hernandez hitting for the cycle, Darryl Strawberry getting ejected for arguing, and Ron Darling mopping up in the 17th or 18th inning to record the final out against ironically enough... Rick Camp.

The game ended at 3:53am local time with the Mets winning 16-13. Because of the holiday, fireworks were scheduled after the game. Sure enough, the remaining fans at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium were treated to the pyrotechnic show just before dawn. Needless to say, the sleeping citizens of Atlanta thought the Civil War had returned to their fair city.

presley177

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schechter
    For this 46-year old Mets fan, "the greatest game ever" was played on July 4th 1985 in Atlanta between the Mets and Braves.

I can remember the '69 & '86 World Series triumphs (and they were great with breathtaking moments), but post-season games are often romanticized and glorified simply because of their importmance. However, to a guy who has seen more baseball games than I could count (and still wants more), this Independence day contest stands out as the all-timer in my book.

The night game was delayed by two lengthy rain delays. Then, it went extra innings. (I think "free baseball" are the two most beautiful words in the English language, with the worst two being "rain out").

The momentous event of the game came in extra innings. The Mets took the lead in the top half and Atlanta was down to its last out. The Braves had used up all their position players and were forced to utilize weak-hitting relief pitcher Rick Camp. The unimaginable happened as Camp homered off Tom Gorman to prolong the game. I can still see the shock on Len Dykstra and Danny Heep's face as the ball sailed over their heads in left-center field. The play reminds me of what makes baseball the greatest game in the world. It still surprises and delights and yes, frustrates. One-time Cardinals pitcher (and malaprop-king) Joaquin Andujar had an expression for moment's like this. He was quoted to say baseball comes down to one word..."youneverknow").

I also recall New York's Keith Hernandez hitting for the cycle, Darryl Strawberry getting ejected for arguing, and Ron Darling mopping up in the 17th or 18th inning to record the final out against ironically enough... Rick Camp.

The game ended at 3:53am local time with the Mets winning 16-13. Because of the holiday, fireworks were scheduled after the game. Sure enough, the remaining fans at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium were treated to the pyrotechnic show just before dawn. Needless to say, the sleeping citizens of Atlanta thought the Civil War had returned to their fair city.

nice post Arthur, sounds like a terrific game...and one that would've been great to have gone to(as long as you didn't have work the next day)

welcome to the forum! : )

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schechter

That sounds like the funnest game ever. 3:53am local
    time and they still lit fireworks. WOW!!

fordhamrams
    fordhamrams's Avatar Become A Pro!

i remember Mets/Braves in 85 too

I came home loaded from a July 4 party, passed out on couch late in Mets/Braves, and woke up at 3:30 and game was still on. So was the hangover! And it got worse with Mets losing.

But best game was Mets/Astros NLCS Game #6. Mets up 3-2 in series but losing 3-0 in 9th. And Mike Scott waiting for em in Game 7. For those who remember, Scott was untouchable that postseason, and woulda shut Mets down easy in final game. They tied in in ninth, took lead in extras, Stros came back to tie. Mets finally took lead by 3 in 16th, and Stros scored 2 and had tying run on 2nd. Amen for Jesse Orosco!
    It was great!

Jay Edgar
    Jay Edgar's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great post, Arthur --
    welcome

I remember that game, too.

Thing is, the Braves were terrible then, and even in the best of times Atlanta is a fair weather sports town. It's amazing that there was anyone left at all for the fireworks!!!

Willie Bee

Quote Originally Posted by fordhamrams
    But best game was Mets/Astros NLCS Game #6. Mets up 3-2 in series but losing 3-0 in 9th. And Mike Scott waiting for em in Game 7. For those who remember, Scott was untouchable that postseason, and woulda shut Mets down easy in final game. They tied in in ninth, took lead in extras, Stros came back to tie. Mets finally took lead by 3 in 16th, and Stros scored 2 and had tying run on 2nd. Amen for Jesse Orosco! It was great!
    You just had to remind me of Game 6 in the '86 NLCS, didn't you?!

Obviously not one of the favorite memories among Astros fans.

Got another Astros-Mets game for y'all. I was the 'teenage assistant coach' for my old Little League manager and he took the team to a weeknight game in early April, had cheap seats way up in what was then the gold section of the Astrodome (eventually became the 'rainbow seats'). A helluva' pitching matchup between young Tom Seaver and Don Wilson for Houston. Nothing-nothing after nine, Coach McKnight called all of the parents about 11 to let them know we were staying for the duration. Ended up going 24 innings with the Astros winning 1-0 due to an infield error by the Mets. As I recall we got home a little after 2:00 a.m., and every extra frames games I'm at now reminds me of that one.

rnc123
    rnc123's Avatar Become A Pro!

I remember the Atl/NYM game as well as...

Cause we were playing poker that night and watched the game on the TV at the same time. We had the sound turned down so we could hear the fireworks from outside! Some of us took turns sitting out and laid on the couch to watch the game, it wasn't very long after that that we turned up the sound and started watching the game for a while on TBS. We had one of my bookie friends over to play in the poker game and he started taking odds on when the baseball game would be over! My brother won the pool, it had about $ 150 in it, which was more than any of us won the whole night from poker! rnc is done!

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I've only followed in great detail since '97, but most memorable to me is definately the 02 World Series -- Angels coming back against the Giants in Game 6, after FOX had already started running the "Last time the Giants won the world series" stuff