onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Al Leiter retires after 19 seasons

I know this will sadden you Dan, but it looks like Leiter has had enough.

I know my bankroll will miss him.

Veteran left-hander Leiter retires after spring game

TAMPA, Fla. -- Al Leiter attended the New York Yankees' spring reunion, then decided he's not coming back anymore.

The 19-year veteran retired Sunday after pitching to one batter in New York's 2-0 win over the Cleveland Indians. He and several Yankees had just returned from the World Baseball Classic, and New York was all together for the first time since the exhibition opener.

Leiter, a 40-year-old left-hander with two World Series rings, had hinted about calling it a career for some time. The end became official in the seventh inning when he got Cleveland's Eduardo Perez to ground out to third, the only batter he faced.

Time was called, and Leiter handed the ball to Yankees pitching coach Ron Guidry. Alex Rodriguez patted him on the head and he began a slow, teary walk off the field for the final time.

He sat in New York's dugout until the Yankees turned an inning-ending double play, then got hugs and warm wishes from his teammates.

"It feels good to be able to go out on your own terms," Leiter said. "I love the game very much, but when you were a certain type of player for a few years, being a front-end starter, that's the way I still think I can pitch. But the body tells you no.

"It feels right. Family, kids, I'm constantly being asked when I'm coming home."

Perez, the son of Hall of Famer Tony Perez, was thrilled to be a small part of Leiter's retirement.

"We go way back and it was an honor to be his last hitter," Perez said. "He's a class act. The competitor, the cutter, the never-say-die attitude. That's been Al Leiter."

Earlier, Leiter, a two-time All-Star who pitched a no-hitter in 1996, soaked in his last day in uniform as a major leaguer. He posed for photos with Yankees manager Joe Torre and spent about 15 minutes chatting with New York general manager Brian Cashman.

Leiter, a second-round draft pick by the Yankees who made his major league debut with New York in 1987, finished with a record of 162-132 and won World Series titles with Toronto (1993) and Florida (1997). He also pitched for the New York Mets.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

all the players i know seemed to be retiring

Alamorich
    Alamorich's Avatar Become A Pro!

Amazing how he made a living for such a long time with just one pitch

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Al lieter was a cash cow for me over his 19 year career. he was one of those pitchers that was so god damn predictable it wasn't even funny.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

My bankroll will miss him also. Doesn't he still have that job as "Scooter" with FOX.