bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Best Manager in Baseball

I ask because I was reading the AP's report about the Braves resigning Bobby Cox through 2007, and I caught the following quote from John Schuerholz.

"We feel that Bobby is the best manager in the game and his leadership has helped the Braves to set a very high standard of excellence -- not just in major league baseball, but in all of professional sports," general manager John Schuerholz said.
    Cox is 7th on the all-time wins list with 2,092. He's led Atlanta to 14 consecutive division titles, and has won the last two NL manager of the year awards. But is he the best manager in baseball? And if not, then who is it?

presley177
    presley177's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    I ask because I was reading the AP's report about the Braves resigning Bobby Cox through 2007, and I caught the following quote from John Schuerholz.

Cox is 7th on the all-time wins list with 2,092. He's led Atlanta to 14 consecutive division titles, and has won the last two NL manager of the year awards. But is he the best manager in baseball? And if not, then who is it?
    I felt Lou Pinella was the best but he's now retired. I'd say Bobby Cox 2nd...Larussa or Frank Robinson 3rd/4th and from the American league Sciosia and Gardenhire are the best in the American League

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Kinda hard to beat out Bobby Cox with everything he has done with the Braves. Most managers cant even stay with a team 14 season, no less win 14 straight division titles. His longevity, and winning ways put him in the top, if not at the top.

presley177

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    Kinda hard to beat out Bobby Cox with everything he has done with the Braves. Most managers cant even stay with a team 14 season, no less win 14 straight division titles. His longevity, and winning ways put him in the top, if not at the top.
    He more than anyone has also had the benefit of having the best coaches always around him I think. It always seems like he's always got a great supporting cast of coaches.

..plus they have the best g.m in baseball. (with the White Sox Ken Williams being slightly behind)

Winston Smith
    Winston Smith's Avatar Become A Pro!

Walt Jockety's the only other GM in the same breath as Scheurholtz, IMO.

presley177

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith
    Walt Jockety's the only other GM in the same breath as Scheurholtz, IMO.
    Ken Williams the past two offseasons I think has elevated him into the top mix. Billy Beane of the A's should also get some cosideration although I still think he's a tad bit overrated.

Winston Smith

I'm impressed by Williams, don't get me wrong. Jockety just has a longer track record.

presley177

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith
    I'm impressed by Williams, don't get me wrong. Jockety just has a longer track record.
    no argument there.

Have you signed up yet for the league yet?

Winston Smith

I have the ID and stuff. I was going to do it today, but I got sidetracked with the brackets. I'll be in there soon. Thanks.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    Cox is my choice by a mile. He just keeps winning and winning. Too bad he couldn't win more in the postseason however.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It isn't Joe Torre. He falls asleep during games. Even playoff games. Yankees
    could win 100 games even if Illusion was there manager.NO Offense Illusion!!

presley177

It's really hard to pick the "best" manager out of the A.L .

All they really do is manage their pitching staffs.

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94
    It isn't Joe Torre. He falls asleep during games. Even playoff games. Yankees
    could win 100 games even if Illusion was there manager.NO Offense Illusion!!

I'm sure I could, lol. Torre is over-rated.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I think Dusty Baker is really over-rated. I am glad though cause of him
    The Angels Won the World Series!! LOL.. Angels play the Yankees damn
    good. Angels & the Devil Rays are two teams that play the Yankees
    really good. I aint fvckin with the Yankees when they play those 2
    teams.

presley177

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94
    I think Dusty Baker is really over-rated. I am glad though cause of him
    The Angels Won the World Series!! LOL.. Angels play the Yankees damn
    good. Angels & the Devil Rays are two teams that play the Yankees
    really good. I aint fvckin with the Yankees when they play those 2
    teams.
    imo Dusty Baker is the worst manager in baseball

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by presley177
    imo Dusty Baker is the worst manager in baseball
    I'm gonna have to second that one.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Cox is hard to ignore for #1, as much as it pains me to say that.

Torre might not be the best or even in the top 5 or so. But until someone else has the success he has managed between the high-priced egos in the clubhouse and the huge ego in the owner's box, suggesting he is overrated is a bit dramatic.

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

I am interested to see how Cox does without Rockin Leo this season. I think Mazzone was an integral part of everything that has happened in Atlanta for the past 14 years. Doesn't help that the Mets have been spending money like drunkin' sailors either.

Ned Yost is the best up and coming manager in my opinion.

I have never thought Larussa was that good of a manager as I think he always leaves his starters in too long. Wears on there arms to much in the regular season, so they have nothing left at the end of the year.

I think Phil Garner is a pretty good manager also.

I wish Earl Weaver was still around. I'd love to see him get tossed from both ends of a double header again.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by presley177
    Ken Williams the past two offseasons I think has elevated him into the top mix. Billy Beane of the A's should also get some cosideration although I still think he's a tad bit overrated.
    no way it's ken williams. i felt hawk harrelson was a better GM for that 1 year he was there in chi-town

btw, i'm sure the A's and cardnails are very happy that Hawk harrelson got rid of Tony Larussa.

presley177

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    no way it's ken williams. i felt hawk harrelson was a better GM for that 1 year he was there in chi-town

btw, i'm sure the A's and cardnails are very happy that Hawk harrelson got rid of Tony Larussa.
    lol Hawk's tenure is a little before my time but I've looked back/heard of the moves he made. thankfully they wised up and got him out.

Noone can argue that Ken Williams has made the best off-season moves for both this year thus far and last year..(and probably the year prior to that when he aquired Loaiza, Uribe, Politte