youngsc
    youngsc's Avatar Become A Pro!

Red Sox vs Phillies

What is everyone's thoughts.

Early Line
    +150 Red Sox
    -170 Phillies

o/u 9

I'm thinking the sox can pull this one off. Pitching isn't quite there and they have a few key players out but you can't ignore the streaks of interleague:

45-10 last 55
    24-4 against NL East
    6-1 Interleague Road vs team with winning record

Also,
    7-1 on road against lefties
    4-0 on road against team with winning record

Pretty hard to go against that strong of a trend.

ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!

two teams i rarely ever bet against

the two best teams in baseball

man, thats tough

fifawcs
    fifawcs's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think the Phils will take this one. Colon is a gas can. He only pitched well because he was in the comfort zone of Fenway Park and he received run support. This will not be the case on the road, when he has to face the mighty Phillies offense. Also, he will have to hit, thus making the Boston offense worse off.

ryanXL977

i think phils win also
    i may do them -1.5 bc colon sucks
    but no way can i bet redsox
    phils, to me, are the best offense there is

youngsc

OK I'm always open for enlightment. I'm looking at the numbers more than anything so the more I hear the better. Can someone explan this to me though cause I don't understand. I ran the pythagorean formula against both the sox and the phils and came up with 43.42 & 44.84 respectiveley. Currently they are both .611 & .577. Why the discrepenacy? I thought this formula was fairly accurate for forecasting percentages.

fifawcs

Yeah, but the Phils do not have the pitching to win a World Series. Hamels is the only guy I can truly trust. Eaton, Kendrick, and Moyer are decent. And Myers kinda blows.

fifawcs

Quote Originally Posted by youngsc View Post
    OK I'm always open for enlightment. I'm looking at the numbers more than anything so the more I hear the better. Can someone explan this to me though cause I don't understand. I ran the pythagorean formula against both the sox and the phils and came up with 43.42 & 44.84 respectiveley. Currently they are both .611 & .577. Why the discrepenacy? I thought this formula was fairly accurate for forecasting percentages.
    What are you trying to calculate?

ryanXL977

sometimes abberations happen.
    like cleveland in 06, i believe
    maybe phils have more blowouts? who knows. maybe those two 20 runs came into effect.
    either way, phils have the best pen, and best offense.
    and tomorrow they send a top 10 starter against a fat retread

if you like boston, do em. its a good price. i just dont go against philly, almost ever, and esp with coleson hammels pitching

ryanXL977

Quote Originally Posted by fifawcs View Post
    Yeah, but the Phils do not have the pitching to win a World Series. Hamels is the only guy I can truly trust. Eaton, Kendrick, and Moyer are decent. And Myers kinda blows.
    but they can get there. just like colorado. the phils are better than any team in baseball, save boston.

youngsc

What are you trying to calculate?
    I was just curious to see how that formula stacked up against two competing teams. Not something I would bank on but just trying to understand the huge discrepancy. If I understand based on the results both these teams will end up under 500? Doesn't seem likely.

ryanXL977

both teams may win 95+

youngsc

This is a great forum. Immediate responses, gotta love it.

Here's the other thing I didn't mention above, weather should be really crappy with 12+ winds blowing out to center. In night games and games with wind and crappy weather the sox have a better record.

ryanXL977

that stat means little to me. they aint at home and they aint good away from home thus far
    is manny playing tomorrow?

youngsc

No and coco is out for his suspension. Their offensive production isn't that great though individually. Probably more moral boost for the team than anything.

ryanXL977

easy call phils !

fifawcs

Quote Originally Posted by ryanXL977 View Post
    but they can get there. just like colorado. the phils are better than any team in baseball, save boston.
    Yeah, but everyone knew the Rockies were the biggest fluke around. As a Yanks fan, I was telling myself that they were going to beat the Sox. But deep down, I knew it wasn't even a contest. The Rockies just weren't able to compete with the best of the AL. The same will happen to the Phils or the Cubs if they make it to a World Series. The reason why these teams have such great records is because they face such inferior teams. The worst team in the AL East right now, the Orioles, could probably give either of those teams a run for their money.

youngsc

Crap well I may sit it out but I'll be watching it closely. I'm really just starting to aggresivley handicapp games so I'm a lot more apprehensive. I used to basically just throw darts and got tired of reloading. So far I'm up over 300%

ryanXL977

Yeah, but everyone knew the Rockies were the biggest fluke around. As a Yanks fan, I was telling myself that they were going to beat the Sox. But deep down, I knew it wasn't even a contest. The Rockies just weren't able to compete with the best of the AL. The same will happen to the Phils or the Cubs if they make it to a World Series. The reason why these teams have such great records is because they face such inferior teams. The worst team in the AL East right now, the Orioles, could probably give either of those teams a run for their money.
    bro
    the orioles are not CLOSE to the phils
    the phils have 3 mvps on their team. 3
    they have burrell who will hit 40 hrs, victornio who could lead off for ANY team in the al, and are batting geoff jenkins 7th. they have a 50 hr hitter, a 30 hr 2b, and an mvp shortstop

they can hang with anybody
    they are light years ahead of baltimore

come on now my man

fifawcs

Don't think that today's success against the Reds is going to be typical Boston on the road. The Reds just happen to be a streaky team that will be stagnant offensively at times. The Phillies dominate at home and have more power. Thus, they will hit more homers tomorrow at hitter-friendly citizens bank park.

fifawcs

bro
    the orioles are not CLOSE to the phils
    the phils have 3 mvps on their team. 3
    they have burrell who will hit 40 hrs, victornio who could lead off for ANY team in the al, and are batting geoff jenkins 7th. they have a 50 hr hitter, a 30 hr 2b, and an mvp shortstop

they can hang with anybody
    they are light years ahead of baltimore

come on now my man
    I may be a little biased but I believe that the AL East is the best division in MLB by far. Actually, the worst team record-wise is the Blue Jays. They have a .493 winning percentage. They were able to take one out of three from the Cubs. That was also without Marcum or Mcgowan. Baltimore has the ability to also take games, with an ace like Guthrie on the mound.

ryanXL977

al east may be the best, and i am sure the yanks offence can hang with philly, but balti? come on
    balti is a 500 team in the nl or al

fifawcs

al east may be the best, and i am sure the yanks offence can hang with philly, but balti? come on
    balti is a 500 team in the nl or al
    Baltimore can get hits. Markakis, Brian Roberts, Kevin Millar, Melvin Mora, Ramon Hernandez. All of these guys can definitely get hits. If a team like the Cardinals, who I do not think are very good, are able to shut down the phils, I certainly think the Orioles can.

ryanXL977

Baltimore can get hits. Markakis, Brian Roberts, Kevin Millar, Melvin Mora, Ramon Hernandez. All of these guys can definitely get hits. If a team like the Cardinals, who I do not think are very good, are able to shut down the phils, I certainly think the Orioles can.
    anything can happen in a series, dont give me that
    so the cards won one vs phils. kc won vs the yanks

dont even compare those guys to howard utley and rollins

the orioles have no pitching or hitting. look at the ranks.

ryanXL977

i think this is a LOCK BET

phils . germany euro