Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

2006 Preview - Texas Rangers

2005 Record: 79-83, 3rd in AL West

After an 18-win gain from 71 in 2003 to 89 in 2004, the Rangers slid backwards in 2005, dropping 10 dubya’s to wind up a distant third in the AL West. The truth is Texas probably wasn’t quite that good in 2004 and not that bad in 2005. And my opinion is they will be much better this year, due in part to the mound additions over the winter, and will present a credible challenge in the American League West.

The Rangers’ offense has been and still is their strength. Mark Teixeira is a solid AL MVP candidate at first with a superb bat and underrated glove. The left side of the infield has Michael Young at short and Hank Blalock at third, with both of them strong offensive threats. Blalock stumbled a bit in 2005 and some pundits are trying to write him off. What they forget, I’m guessing, is he is just 25 and definitely has his career year(s) in front of him. Young is a better defender at second, his natural position, and I suspect he might move back there at some point in the future.

Second base is one of the few question marks for the Rangers' position players after dealing Alfonso Soriano. Whoever wins the job will at least provide a substantial upgrade defensively over Soriano. Rookie Ian Kinsler, who was moved from short to second a year ago at Triple-A, is favored by some though I think Texas might be better off letting him start in the minors again and then calling him up should D’Angelo Jimenez or Mark DeRosa falter. DeRosa can provide above-average utility play as a backup. Phil Nevin, expected to get most of his time at DH this season, is the backup at 1B. Marshall ‘6 Fly’ McDougall is rehabbing offseason wrist surgery and not expected to be available until after the season starts. He is someone to watch; if the Rangers get the itch, they could bring him up for third base and dangle Blalock for more pitching.

Texas has two pretty good catchers that few people seem to know anything about. Rod Barajas is one of the few in the lineup whose stats are not affected by home-road schedules. He’s got Gerald Laird behind him, and Laird brings a good mitt behind the dish and the potential for a better-than-average bat as far as catchers go.

Kevin Mench and Laynce Nix are joined in the outfield by Brad Wilkerson who came from Washington in the Soriano trade. Mench has become a far better player, both at the plate and in the field, than I imagined when I first saw him play as a minor leaguer. He’s got 30-HR, 100-RBI potential in this lineup. Nix simply has to show more discipline at the plate to be effective. Wilkerson was always underrated while with Montreal/Washington, and playing in a better park for hitters this year has me thinking a return to the 30-HR level plus another 25-30 points on his batting average. David Dellucci will DH some and spot the outfielders a day off from time to time. Gary Matthews Jr., Jason Botts and Adam Hyzdu are all vying for backup slots. All three, plus Nevin, could also be used as trade bait.

Pitching has been a sore spot in North Texas since Nolan Ryan threw his last pitch in 1993. Kenny Rogers, arguably their top pitcher since then, shoved his way out of the picture, pardon the pun. Chan Ho Park proved to be a worse investment for owner Tom Hicks than the $252 million he gave Alex Rodriguez. Draft picks like RA Dickey and Colby Lewis proved more hype than help. Even former pitching coach Orel Hershiser is gone now after never being able to do much with what he was given to work with.

Enter new pitching guru Mark Conner and a new batch of arms to work with. Texas signed 2005 AL ERA leader Kevin Millwood over the winter and dealt for Adam Eaton and Vincente Padilla from San Diego and Philly. None of those three are a threat to Nolan Ryan in the record books, and I admit to having some misgivings about trading away Chris Young in the Padres trade. But all three of those starters should give the Rangers a better top of the rotation than they’ve had in a while. That leaves Conner and manager Buck Showalter with the task of finding arms for the end of the rotation with Kameron Loe, Edison Volquez and Juan Dominguez the leading candidates until lefty Brian Anderson comes back from elbow surgery around midseason.

If Eaton performs well, my reservations on the Young trade will be for naught. If Eaton and Akinori Otsuka both pitch well, then Texas will have made an excellent deal. There is a little concern about closer Francisco Cordero’s shoulder right now, so Otsuka’s importance can’t be stressed enough. He’s being counted on to be the #1 setup arm in front of Cordero, something the Rangers must have. If Cordero goes down, then Otsuka becomes even more critical. There is a long list of relievers to go through to fill the innings in front of Cordero and Otsuka. Names I like the best are Joaquin Benoit, Erasmo Ramirez, CJ Wilson, Antonio Alfonseca and Rich Bauer. Plus keep your eyes on sidewinder Scott Feldman and tiny southpaw Fabio Castro this spring.

Ok, this is admittedly a stretch. And my gut feelings in the past have turned out to be nothing more than a case of acid indigestion on occasion. Perhaps I’m putting too much weight on the additions of starters Millwood and Eaton. But after looking at the numbers, the schedule and checking everything twice, I honestly see the Rangers having a good chance to win the AL West this season.

Key Performer(s): The rotation, especially Millwood and Eaton.

Camp Question(s): Settling the second base job, culling through names for the #4-#5 starters’ jobs and assembling the bullpen behind Cordero and Otsuka.

My Play: After I ran my numbers a few times and kept hitting 88-90 wins, I thought for sure I had something terribly wrong in my formula. But with the upgrades they have made to the rotation, it really isn’t a stretch to think this team can get back to the upper-80s in the win column where they were in 2004. I’m all over the o81 at Pinnacle.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

They have a great infield with Blalock, Young, Teixiera, and a kid named Kinsler who had 94 RBI in AAA ready to play if De Rosa doesn't hit at second.. The outfield seems to be solid.

with Millwood, Adam Eaton, Vincente Padilla. Their bullpen is solid, especially if Frank Francisco returns to pre Tommy John surgery velocity. I think the West is up for grabs, and everyone in it will be right there come late August.

ORO1960
    ORO1960's Avatar Become A Pro!

no way the rangres can pla y with the a's and angels. no way in hell!

presley177
    presley177's Avatar Become A Pro!

they should've kept Kenny Rogers...

Willie Bee

I don't think there's any possible way they could have kept Rogers after his little tantrum last year, Presley. Not to mention he pitched a fit and put the team down when they wouldn't give him $20+ million for a 3-year extension. I think Detroit was a bit foolish giving him $8 mil per for two years. Guess time will tell on that, however.

The Prick
    Make America Great
    The Prick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3625

Man, i'd be an offensive stud in that cracker-box ball park.....all them guys that play for Tx are on the juice, must be from the Palmeiro pharmacist. kinda like Amway. pyramid scam, ya see, with Ralfy gettin' residuals.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Over 81 with this team looks like the best bet so far.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I also like the over, but my numbers have them around 83 wins

Willie Bee

Greek has their o/u line at 81½ with both -110.

Pinnacle has held at 81 - o(-127) and u(+111).

Willie Bee

Not good...

Adam Eaton, expected to be the #2 starter in Texas' rotation, will miss 4-8 weeks with an injury to a tendon in the middle finger of his right hand.

Hugo Whacket
    Hugo Whacket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee
    Adam Eaton, expected to be the #2 starter in Texas' rotation, will miss 4-8 weeks with an injury to a tendon in the middle finger of his right hand.

wow, probably no big deal since the strength of the Rangers has ALWAYS been their starting rotation and its depth.....(Sarcasm, in case you folks don't frequently employ that brand of jocularity)

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Whacket
    wow, probably no big deal since the strength of the Rangers has ALWAYS been their starting rotation and its depth.....(Sarcasm, in case you folks don't frequently employ that brand of jocularity)
    Texas' starters are gonna get lit up all year. BTW, welcome to the forum bud.

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

I actually think Rogers is finished as a A+ pitcher.

Texas OVER is the play. They will be tough if Millwood stays healthy.

Hugo Whacket
    Hugo Whacket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hey, thanks for the welcome, Illusion! I've only been lurking for a brief time, but this Forum seems like a better fit for my tastes than the few others that I've observed. The Rangers, in my opinion, will lose more than one game this season by a final score of 13-11.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Rangers, in my opinion, will lose more than one game this season by a final score of 13-11.
    i can't argue that fact bud. the rangers pitching is perty bad.

Illusion

The Rangers, in my opinion, will lose more than one game this season by a final score of 13-11.
    I also expect alot of those type scores in Yankees games.

Willie Bee

Current record 28-25

My Play: After I ran my numbers a few times and kept hitting 88-90 wins, I thought for sure I had something terribly wrong in my formula. But with the upgrades they have made to the rotation, it really isn’t a stretch to think this team can get back to the upper-80s in the win column where they were in 2004. I’m all over the o81 at Pinnacle.
    Currently on pace for 85-86 wins this season, the Rangers are leading an underachieving AL West on the strength of their offense that supports consistent though unspectacular pitching.

The Texas offense ranks fifth in the AL with a .279 batting average and sixth with an .808 OPS. The hitters are fifth with 65 HR, and power is what they will have to depend on since they're dead last in the AL with but 11 steals in 20 attempts. Station-to-station is not their game. And despite having more total bases than both the Yankees and Red Sox, the Rangers aren't scoring as many runs as you might expect. One reason for that is a lack of patience at the place with fewer than 200 walks so far and 354 strikeouts, 2nd-highest in the American League.

Mark Teixeira has but six homers with his counterpart across the infield at third base, Hank Blalock, having eight. You might think one or the other could have 14 alone instead of 14 between them at this point in '06. Kevin Mench has 10 HR, most of those coming in about an 8-game stretch earlier this season. Michael Young is batting .313 but has only scored 30 times in 53 games.

Pitching has been middle-of-the-road so far, thanks in part to some fine performances at times from a few youngsters. The staff's 4.68 ERA puts them seventh in the AL, and 51 HR allowed ranks 4th-best. The 170 walks allowed aren't that bad, eighth in the AL, but certainly could be improved upon.

Kevin Millwood, signed to be the ace of the staff, is 6-3 but with an ERA approaching five. Vincente Padilla (5-3, 4.57) is moving along about as well as you would think, and youngster Paul Karonka has shown a few flashes of good stuff though he is finding it a bit tougher now that the league has had time to scout him. Getting Adam Eaton back into the mix is a must.

Closing duties have moved from Francisco Cordero to Akinori Otsuka, and Cordero has been doing much better in a setup role than he was earlier as the closer. Ron Mahay and Rich Bauer have been ok in middle relief. But this is definitely a team that could stand to add an arm or two if they want to continue on top of the NL West.

After getting off to a 2-7 start to the season, Texas has turned things around somewhat to get to three games above .500. They will be tested on the road trip just embarked with series on the road against the White Sox and Red Sox sandwiched around a series in Kansas City. A 4-game set at home versus the White Sox follows the trip. If they want to prove they're truly NL West contenders, standing tall in the 11 games against the two Sox squads over their next 14 contests would certainly send that message.

Illusion

If they want to prove they're truly NL West contenders
    I thought the Rangers played in the AL west.

Willie Bee

DOH!

Take two more beers out of petty cash for catching that typo, Ill

Illusion

DOH!

Take two more beers out of petty cash for catching that typo, Ill
    Way ahead of you.